Community
Wiki Posts
Search

13.5 Gearing help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

Default 13.5 Gearing help?

Well its that same old gearing question again!!

I currently run on a medium sized carpet track 25m x 12m with a LRP Vector X11 Stock Spec

Last week I just could not get the temperature down below 85-90c!! I was running 5.46-5.01 now I know I am heavy on the thumbs but I thought that was about right!!!

one thing I always get conflicting advice on is if the motor is stressed and not maxing out it will get hot but others advise that it can also go the other way revving out can also cause heat, so whats correct??

I was trying out the new Granturismo Version 2 with punch turned down timing reduced and very little drag brake!!

Could also do with gearing advice on the Orion Vortex 13.5 Race Spec as I am about to try one of those

Thanks for any help

Last edited by 008-Racer; 03-02-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

17.5 low timing on speedo 3.90-4.0 is decent place to start 13.5 4.80-5.0
Old 03-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 008-Racer
Well its that same old gearing question again!!

I currently run on a medium sized carpet track 25m x 12m with a LRP Vector X11 Stock Spec

Last week I just could not get the temperature down below 85-90c!! I was running 5.46-5.01 now I know I am heavy on the thumbs but I thought that was about right!!!

one thing I always get conflicting advice on is if the motor is stressed and not maxing out it will get hot but others advise that it can also go the other way revving out can also cause heat, so whats correct??

I was trying out the new Granturismo Version 2 with punch turned down timing reduced and very little drag brake!!

Could also do with gearing advice on the Orion Vortex 13.5 Race Spec as I am about to try one of those

Thanks for any help
I ran exactly the same motor, indoors on a large carpet track with a bit of advance on the motor geared at a 5.08 was very fast but was corncerned about motor temps aswell.

Those are the two theorys that the motor is revving out or working too hard both causing heat and both are correct.

You could, quite simply run a heatsink with a fan on the motor to help a little bit.

Its all trial and error really. But as long as the temps arent excessive and performance is relatively good I wouldnt worry too much about it.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

The temps could be cuased from an very pushy car or a car with bad bearings.

How are your lap times compared to other drivers?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all your replies very kind

The car is really free (Ceramic bearings all round!) and to be honest it is one of the fastest I run alongside some 10.5's and have been winning!!