Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Tires

Originally posted by Julius
Not that I know of. Ellegi couldn't do much about customs.
Now the interesting question is what ever happened to the tires after it gets cleared by the customs (if it ever gets cleared) since now the WC is over? Who is keeping those 1000 pairs of tires? I know I would !
Old 10-29-2004, 11:26 AM
jag
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SWB

Originally posted by InitialD
Yes, the rears very slightly coned (smaller on the inside) should be OK.

Fiction !

I believe Michael Salven and Julius mentioned that you should run the least rear toe-in you can get away with to get the max straight line speed and max on power steering.

More rear toe-in tames the rear end of the car but at the expense of straight line speed and on power steering.

Besides, having the rear tires coning on towards the inside would somehow give a stabilizing effect on the rear of a car somewhat the same as having more toe-in when these rear tires roll.
Will increasing the toe-in make the rear bite harder while cornering? The only real things I would like to experiment with right now are finding just the right amount of rear bite in the corners (it seems a little loose in the fast sweeper)and I think the front is pushing a little while on the throttle. The car is very stable in a straight line with 2 or 3 degrees of toe-in.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Dogbone Pin Mod

Since today is technically very much Friday on some parts of the world, here is a pic of the mod done on the dogbone pins.

The dogbone side that goes into the rear diff outdrive gets the longer side of the pin (3 x 11.7 mm). The other side of the dogbone is with stock pin (3 x 9.7 mm).

The longer pin is said to be more prone to wearing the diff outdrive. Time will tell as I've yet to test them.

The 3 x 9.7 mm stock pin on the bottom right, you could see that the tip is pretty flattened out after a while. If you see this on your dogbones, do not panic. You can resuse the pins...

Just take a vice, a hammer and something sharp and pointed so that you could use it to hammer the pin out of the dogbone. After getting the pin out, you could turn it 90 degrees and hammer the pin back in again to resuse it. The flattened and worned out part should no more be in contact with the surface of the outdrive and to the outdrives, the dogbone pin would look like new.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Tech Prophet

Default My 710

It's been sometime since I posted pics of my 710.

Woops, the dirt filter did not get to the manifold.

Last edited by InitialD; 10-29-2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:36 AM
jag
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SWB

Fully agree.

I think the more important things to do at the moment is to concentrate on the driving lines, tuning the engine / clutch and making sure things like tweak, shocks and ball diffs are in correct working order.
Those are some of the things I have been working on. I have rebuilt the clutch just like Glenn says to, the engine is running good and I just rebuilt the shocks and they seem to be in good shape. I need to enlarge the hinge pin hole in one of the front alum role bar mounts but other than that the arms are free. I'm close to having the standard setup working perfectly.

Is 30 degrees of steering in each direction too much? That's what I have now and at low speeds the thing will turn on a dime.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: My 710

It's been sometime since I posted pics of my 710.

Woops, the dirt filter did not get to the manifold.
And who said cold hard cash has nothing to do with RC?
Old 10-29-2004, 11:42 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: My 710

And who said cold hard cash has nothing to do with RC?
Sharp eyes you have Master Julius.

That's for toll money and spare change to tip the marshalls when they flip your car back on the track. You should try it. It works.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: My 710

That's for toll money and spare change to tip the marshalls when they flip your car back on the track. You should try it. It works.

Don't forget lunch money. Or having enough on there to bribe tech inspection when you are underweight from tipping marshals!
Old 10-29-2004, 11:45 AM
jag
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: My 710

What is that... it looks like a nickle, a dime and a few pennies?
Old 10-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SWB

Originally posted by jag
Is 30 degrees of steering in each direction too much? That's what I have now and at low speeds the thing will turn on a dime.
30 degrees is a lot. Make sure the servos do not bind because that will zap a lot of receiver pack juice and not to mention burn out the servo of yours.

To get more steering, you actually do not need to get maximum steering throw. Having a lot of throw only scrubs away speed at the fast sweeper. Set it to turn just enough. If you need the huge steering throw just to make the car turn, then something is wrong with the setup. Try setting the rear diff slighty softer.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:50 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SWB

Originally posted by jag
Will increasing the toe-in make the rear bite harder while cornering?
Yes.

Originally posted by jag
The only real things I would like to experiment with right now are finding just the right amount of rear bite in the corners (it seems a little loose in the fast sweeper)and I think the front is pushing a little while on the throttle. The car is very stable in a straight line with 2 or 3 degrees of toe-in.
I guess the front is pushing because you're using yellow springs (perhaps too soft) and that the rear is dipping down or you have too much rear toe-in that takes away on power steering. Try less rear toe-in. Something like +2 or even 1.5 on each side of the rear wheel.

The car will not be soo lazy when you use the harder red springs. Try it. It may be better for your track. The car may respond and change directions better and faster.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: My 710

Don't forget lunch money. Or having enough on there to bribe tech inspection when you are underweight from tipping marshals!

Sssshhhh ! You're giving away too many of my secrets...
Old 10-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default my 710

Sup ,to my fellow s710 brother ,Impalabob here tried the frt balldiff nomore solid for me ,raced last sunday in tampa B&B hobbies my fastest lap 13.5 with balldiff.I will be using the balldiff at the winternats.hey i added anther car to my lot had to see what the hype on the fwo5r ,so i pick 1 up drop the nova ns3.so i will be caring to weapon maybe fwo5 to daze a confuse them in qualifing ,then use the snake to go in for the final strike:: you they look like
Old 10-29-2004, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Tires

Now the interesting question is what ever happened to the tires after it gets cleared by the customs (if it ever gets cleared) since now the WC is over? Who is keeping those 1000 pairs of tires? I know I would !
Well, make it happen - you've got the ring
Old 10-29-2004, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: my 710

Originally posted by impalabob64
Sup ,to my fellow s710 brother ,Impalabob here tried the frt balldiff nomore solid for me ,raced last sunday in tampa B&B hobbies my fastest lap 13.5 with balldiff.I will be using the balldiff at the winternats.hey i added anther car to my lot had to see what the hype on the fwo5r ,so i pick 1 up drop the nova ns3.so i will be caring to weapon maybe fwo5 to daze a confuse them in qualifing ,then use the snake to go in for the final strike:: you they look like
The old one-two combination....like it!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.