b) x = hot
c) x = cold
d) yes
e) no
f) true
g) false
h) all of the above
i) all of the above except f.

i'm about to switch to the turbo plugs and just want to make sure before i place my order for button and plugs.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: The Hudy ultimate set-up set

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Ah, thanks! I was exchanging emails with Herber on other things so I'll include this too. I already have the orange engine mount (not from Serpent but from East).
What, what!!! Been talking to Herber about what Oh don't say that Jedi Mind Trick didn't work
Old 09-10-2004, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Hudy ultimate set-up set

Oi! That's my line!
Learn quickly do I
Old 09-10-2004, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by packetdreamer
anyone have the answer to number 32?

32) (novarsossi RS12 3port) + odonnell 20% = x glowplug

a) x = warm
b) x = hot
c) x = cold
d) yes
e) no
f) true
g) false
h) all of the above
i) all of the above except f.

i'm about to switch to the turbo plugs and just want to make sure before i place my order for button and plugs.
packetdreamer, going to turbo plug is worth it. All the theory says there is a slight performance boost and when I tried this a while back it DID give a small performance boost. So I guess its (d) for the first part.

As for plugs, it depends on a few factors. For example, in my 5-port RB Rody with 25% Tornado, I was using a hot plug in Asia (ambient temp around 28 DegC and 80-90% humidity). Funnily enough, it gave the best performance.

Now in the UK, the same engine and fuel, I've had to go to a warm plug (ambient between 20-24 DegC).

So, for your combo, start with the warm turbo plug and 0.3mm shim ... (a).
Old 09-10-2004, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Hudy ultimate set-up set

Originally posted by markp27
What, what!!! Been talking to Herber about what Oh don't say that Jedi Mind Trick didn't work
It works ... Herber told me no JP until after MarkP returns from AMCC to Nurmberg.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Hudy ultimate set-up set

Learn quickly do I
(: .od uoy, seY
Old 09-10-2004, 07:05 AM
Tech Regular

packetdreamer, going to turbo plug is worth it. All the theory says there is a slight performance boost and when I tried this a while back it DID give a small performance boost. So I guess its (d) for the first part.

As for plugs, it depends on a few factors. For example, in my 5-port RB Rody with 25% Tornado, I was using a hot plug in Asia (ambient temp around 28 DegC and 80-90% humidity). Funnily enough, it gave the best performance.

Now in the UK, the same engine and fuel, I've had to go to a warm plug (ambient between 20-24 DegC).

So, for your combo, start with the warm turbo plug and 0.3mm shim ... (a).
i ran the turbo plugs in my novamega. besides any performance benefits, i think they look cooler , but i never used shims with them.when you screw them in, i thought they were supposed to be nice and flush with the bottom of the button. no?

i was thinking warm, and that is what i will get. thanks!
Old 09-10-2004, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

i ran the turbo plugs in my novamega. besides any performance benefits, i think they look cooler , but i never used shims with them.when you screw them in, i thought they were supposed to be nice and flush with the bottom of the button. no?

i was thinking warm, and that is what i will get. thanks!
Sorry, I meant the shim between the button head and the liner top. If there isn't one there already, its still OK but after running 2 or 3 tanks, unscrew the plug and look at its element.

When brand new the element should be flush with the plug end.

If after 3 or so tanks and the element looks slightly pushed in AND you didn't have the above shim, it may be time to use a 0.3mm one because this is indicating overcompression. Look also at the top of your piston, if there's pitting then there's also detonation taking place instead of combustion.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

i will just use the shim because my NMega had pitting and would just rather avoid that.

question about pitting. how does it happen? what causes the pits?
Old 09-10-2004, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Hudy ultimate set-up set

(: .od uoy, seY
Oh no, he's gone strange again must be the stress of the attack on the other club this weekend
Old 09-10-2004, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

i will just use the shim because my NMega had pitting and would just rather avoid that.

question about pitting. how does it happen? what causes the pits?
Could be due to a few reasons but the most common one is due to detonation. Detonation happens when the compression is too high, ideally you want combustion rather than detonation.

The compression in our little screamers can be controlled to a large extent by changing the volume available when the piston is at Top Dead Center (TDC) in the combustion chamber/area of the sleeve. This is done by varying the thickness of the shims you normally see stuck at the bottom of the button head. The thicker it is, the larger this volume will be and hence you get less compression. I'm not an engine guru but some of them use this technique to really squeeze out optimum performance from the engine. I've only ever messed with this when I was bored practising!

The rule of thumb that I've been told is if you have to pay for your engines then increase your shim thickness when you want to run high nitro content fuel AND avoid premature engine destruction.

There is a very good website by Ron Paris on this and other engine stuff but I don't have the link handy. Can some post it here for packetdreamer please? Thanks.

Last edited by Sow&Steady; 09-10-2004 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Hudy ultimate set-up set

Oh no, he's gone strange again must be the stress of the attack on the other club this weekend
Old 09-10-2004, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Could be due to a few reasons but the most common one is due to detonation. Detonation happens when the compression is too high, ideally you want combustion rather than detonation.

The compression in our little screamers can be controlled to a large extent by changing the volume available when the piston is at Top Dead Center (TDC) in the combustion chamber/area of the sleeve. This is done by varying the thickness of the shims you normally see stuck at the bottom of the button head. The thicker it is, the larger this volume will be and hence you get less compression. I'm not an engine guru but some of them use this technique to really squeeze out optimum performance from the engine. I've only ever messed with this when I was bored practising!

The rule of thumb that I've been told is if you have to pay for your engines then increase your shim thickness when you want to run high nitro content fuel AND avoid premature engine destruction.

There is a very good website by Ron Paris on this and other engine stuff but I don't have the link handy. Can some post it here for packetdreamer please? Thanks.
i read paris' stuff a few month ago. (i dont know if it's still available, but i hope so, i will google it out. thanks!!!!
Old 09-10-2004, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Default desperate cry for help.

i'm an idiot!!!! (or an addict), just paid crazy dollars so i can have a starter wheel here by tomorrow so i can race. i won't say how much (too embarassing).... this hobby is ruining my life.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: desperate cry for help.

i'm an idiot!!!! (or an addict), just paid crazy dollars so i can have a starter wheel here by tomorrow so i can race. i won't say how much (too embarassing).... this hobby is ruining my life.
Don't say that buddy ... keep cool.

I always treat this is as a fun hobby. Have a few yarn and laughs at the track but during a race of course I'll try to win. Other than that ... tell the wife/girlfriend/mum that at least they know you're not up to no good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.