R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-10-2004, 06:36 AM   #15481
Tech Regular
 
packetdreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: scranton, pa
Posts: 268
Send a message via AIM to packetdreamer
Default

anyone have the answer to number 32?

32) (novarsossi RS12 3port) + odonnell 20% = x glowplug

a) x = warm
b) x = hot
c) x = cold
d) yes
e) no
f) true
g) false
h) all of the above
i) all of the above except f.


i'm about to switch to the turbo plugs and just want to make sure before i place my order for button and plugs.
packetdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:28 AM   #15482
Tech Elite
 
markp27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nuremberg, Germany
Posts: 4,069
Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: The Hudy ultimate set-up set

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Ah, thanks! I was exchanging emails with Herber on other things so I'll include this too. I already have the orange engine mount (not from Serpent but from East).
What, what!!! Been talking to Herber about what Oh don't say that Jedi Mind Trick didn't work
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:30 AM   #15483
Tech Elite
 
markp27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nuremberg, Germany
Posts: 4,069
Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Hudy ultimate set-up set

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Oi! That's my line!
Learn quickly do I
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:46 AM   #15484
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by packetdreamer
anyone have the answer to number 32?

32) (novarsossi RS12 3port) + odonnell 20% = x glowplug

a) x = warm
b) x = hot
c) x = cold
d) yes
e) no
f) true
g) false
h) all of the above
i) all of the above except f.


i'm about to switch to the turbo plugs and just want to make sure before i place my order for button and plugs.
packetdreamer, going to turbo plug is worth it. All the theory says there is a slight performance boost and when I tried this a while back it DID give a small performance boost. So I guess its (d) for the first part.

As for plugs, it depends on a few factors. For example, in my 5-port RB Rody with 25% Tornado, I was using a hot plug in Asia (ambient temp around 28 DegC and 80-90% humidity). Funnily enough, it gave the best performance.

Now in the UK, the same engine and fuel, I've had to go to a warm plug (ambient between 20-24 DegC).

So, for your combo, start with the warm turbo plug and 0.3mm shim ... (a).
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:47 AM   #15485
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Hudy ultimate set-up set

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
What, what!!! Been talking to Herber about what Oh don't say that Jedi Mind Trick didn't work
It works ... Herber told me no JP until after MarkP returns from AMCC to Nurmberg.
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:48 AM   #15486
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Hudy ultimate set-up set

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Learn quickly do I
(: .od uoy, seY
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:05 AM   #15487
Tech Regular
 
packetdreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: scranton, pa
Posts: 268
Send a message via AIM to packetdreamer
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
packetdreamer, going to turbo plug is worth it. All the theory says there is a slight performance boost and when I tried this a while back it DID give a small performance boost. So I guess its (d) for the first part.

As for plugs, it depends on a few factors. For example, in my 5-port RB Rody with 25% Tornado, I was using a hot plug in Asia (ambient temp around 28 DegC and 80-90% humidity). Funnily enough, it gave the best performance.

Now in the UK, the same engine and fuel, I've had to go to a warm plug (ambient between 20-24 DegC).

So, for your combo, start with the warm turbo plug and 0.3mm shim ... (a).
i ran the turbo plugs in my novamega. besides any performance benefits, i think they look cooler , but i never used shims with them.when you screw them in, i thought they were supposed to be nice and flush with the bottom of the button. no?

i was thinking warm, and that is what i will get. thanks!
packetdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:33 AM   #15488
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by packetdreamer
i ran the turbo plugs in my novamega. besides any performance benefits, i think they look cooler , but i never used shims with them.when you screw them in, i thought they were supposed to be nice and flush with the bottom of the button. no?

i was thinking warm, and that is what i will get. thanks!
Sorry, I meant the shim between the button head and the liner top. If there isn't one there already, its still OK but after running 2 or 3 tanks, unscrew the plug and look at its element.

When brand new the element should be flush with the plug end.

If after 3 or so tanks and the element looks slightly pushed in AND you didn't have the above shim, it may be time to use a 0.3mm one because this is indicating overcompression. Look also at the top of your piston, if there's pitting then there's also detonation taking place instead of combustion.
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:41 AM   #15489
Tech Regular
 
packetdreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: scranton, pa
Posts: 268
Send a message via AIM to packetdreamer
Default

i will just use the shim because my NMega had pitting and would just rather avoid that.

question about pitting. how does it happen? what causes the pits?
packetdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:57 AM   #15490
Tech Elite
 
markp27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nuremberg, Germany
Posts: 4,069
Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Hudy ultimate set-up set

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
(: .od uoy, seY
Oh no, he's gone strange again must be the stress of the attack on the other club this weekend
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:33 AM   #15491
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by packetdreamer
i will just use the shim because my NMega had pitting and would just rather avoid that.

question about pitting. how does it happen? what causes the pits?
Could be due to a few reasons but the most common one is due to detonation. Detonation happens when the compression is too high, ideally you want combustion rather than detonation.

The compression in our little screamers can be controlled to a large extent by changing the volume available when the piston is at Top Dead Center (TDC) in the combustion chamber/area of the sleeve. This is done by varying the thickness of the shims you normally see stuck at the bottom of the button head. The thicker it is, the larger this volume will be and hence you get less compression. I'm not an engine guru but some of them use this technique to really squeeze out optimum performance from the engine. I've only ever messed with this when I was bored practising!

The rule of thumb that I've been told is if you have to pay for your engines then increase your shim thickness when you want to run high nitro content fuel AND avoid premature engine destruction.

There is a very good website by Ron Paris on this and other engine stuff but I don't have the link handy. Can some post it here for packetdreamer please? Thanks.
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady

Last edited by Sow&Steady; 09-10-2004 at 10:41 AM.
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:38 AM   #15492
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Hudy ultimate set-up set

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Oh no, he's gone strange again must be the stress of the attack on the other club this weekend
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:44 AM   #15493
Tech Regular
 
packetdreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: scranton, pa
Posts: 268
Send a message via AIM to packetdreamer
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Could be due to a few reasons but the most common one is due to detonation. Detonation happens when the compression is too high, ideally you want combustion rather than detonation.

The compression in our little screamers can be controlled to a large extent by changing the volume available when the piston is at Top Dead Center (TDC) in the combustion chamber/area of the sleeve. This is done by varying the thickness of the shims you normally see stuck at the bottom of the button head. The thicker it is, the larger this volume will be and hence you get less compression. I'm not an engine guru but some of them use this technique to really squeeze out optimum performance from the engine. I've only ever messed with this when I was bored practising!

The rule of thumb that I've been told is if you have to pay for your engines then increase your shim thickness when you want to run high nitro content fuel AND avoid premature engine destruction.

There is a very good website by Ron Paris on this and other engine stuff but I don't have the link handy. Can some post it here for packetdreamer please? Thanks.
i read paris' stuff a few month ago. (i dont know if it's still available, but i hope so, i will google it out. thanks!!!!
packetdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:30 AM   #15494
Tech Regular
 
packetdreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: scranton, pa
Posts: 268
Send a message via AIM to packetdreamer
Default desperate cry for help.

i'm an idiot!!!! (or an addict), just paid crazy dollars so i can have a starter wheel here by tomorrow so i can race. i won't say how much (too embarassing).... this hobby is ruining my life.
packetdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:50 PM   #15495
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default Re: desperate cry for help.

Quote:
Originally posted by packetdreamer
i'm an idiot!!!! (or an addict), just paid crazy dollars so i can have a starter wheel here by tomorrow so i can race. i won't say how much (too embarassing).... this hobby is ruining my life.
Don't say that buddy ... keep cool.

I always treat this is as a fun hobby. Have a few yarn and laughs at the track but during a race of course I'll try to win. Other than that ... tell the wife/girlfriend/mum that at least they know you're not up to no good.
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serpent 705 J_Longbrake Nitro On-Road 4252 02-23-2015 12:34 AM
WTB: NIB Serpent 710 aN4rK1 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 06-16-2006 09:23 PM
Serpent 835 JFCJ R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 02-20-2005 09:29 PM
Trade in Your Old Serpent 710 Parts for New Serpent 710 Parts fast_it710 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 09-17-2004 12:27 AM
Serpent Impulse w/MT-12 and Serpent Starter box - cheap Solara R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 03-07-2003 03:01 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:57 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net