Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You should try contacting someone at Tekin about it directly. I assume vegas is a big event and they may have someone who can help you out there....

But to me it sounds like a classic case of the firmware being corrupted
Old 08-05-2008, 01:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

After endless fiddling, I was able to get the ESC to take a firmware downgrade to 178, which brought it back to life. From there, I upgraded it back to 180, and it seems to be happy again. That's pretty damn scary though.

I love the size of the unit, and it sounds VERY smooth when I'm revving it on the bench. I'm looking forward to giving it a go on the rug tomorrow. Any suggestions on settings for a Novak 13.5? I bumped the throttle profile to 4, disabled the hybrid mode, and set it to brushless/fw only. Other than that, it's the default profile.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

very very bad news then...
Old 08-05-2008, 05:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Any suggestions on settings for a Novak 13.5? I bumped the throttle profile to 4, disabled the hybrid mode, and set it to brushless/fw only. Other than that, it's the default profile.
For the Novak, I've been leaving the speedo in hybrid mode. Novak motors are kinda limited on how much timing you can crank in. With motors that have a lot of timing adjustment (Orion) it might be better in sensored only mode because you can crank an insane amount of timing into the motor.

Also, I turned up the brakes on the speedo and then dialed them back to what I needed on the radio. The stock setting isn't quite enough for 13.5 for me.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:51 AM
Tech Adept

One more suggestion from my side, if you're used to the throttle feeling of the LRP speedo, you must increase your throttle expo on your transmitter. With throttle profile 5 on the speedo, I'm running 40% positive expo on the throttle on my M11. The built in throttle profiles are definitely not suitable for touring cars on a high traction surface where you need a lot of punch.

p.s. neutral width is set to 5 on the speedo
Old 08-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

syndr0me you will probably need to crank the timing up on the motor, set it to a higher number.

(oops scratch that second comment which i removed from this post, got them mixed up)
Old 08-05-2008, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

After endless fiddling, I was able to get the ESC to take a firmware downgrade to 178, which brought it back to life. From there, I upgraded it back to 180, and it seems to be happy again. That's pretty damn scary though.

I love the size of the unit, and it sounds VERY smooth when I'm revving it on the bench. I'm looking forward to giving it a go on the rug tomorrow. Any suggestions on settings for a Novak 13.5? I bumped the throttle profile to 4, disabled the hybrid mode, and set it to brushless/fw only. Other than that, it's the default profile.
bump the timing up , right click on the timing columm and a drop window will appear and select the pre-set setting for the 13.5 and start with that one , i ended up going about 5 % more with my motor.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Why disable the hybrid mode? I think the motor runs much cooler and smoother in hybrid mode vs sensorless only.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

I'm running into an issue with my Hotwire. Whenever I plug it in and finish making adjustments and apply the setting I lose the voltage cutoff value, it defaults to LED1. All the other settings survive except the VC, I don't get it.

BTW, I found this happening on my FX and FXR-Pro too.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Why disable the hybrid mode? I think the motor runs much cooler and smoother in hybrid mode vs sensorless only.
I guess I was under the impression is led to jerky startups? I'll try it both ways, sounds like you guys like it now?

Does the ESC allow the motor to go into thermal shutdown? Can I disable it?

I'll mess with the other settings as well. I can't believe I'm dragging a laptop to the track. I do this hobby to get away from computers. :-)
Old 08-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

You will need to keep an eye on the motor temperature yourself. You get better acceleration which is generally good unless you have really low grip conditions.

But it is something that you will have to play with and find your optimum setting.

I think you will find that there is a point where if you turn the timing up too high the motor will just start getting hotter relative to performance.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Addict

Starts with the RS are flawless in either mode. They've actually come a long way and it doesn't run a 13.5 all that bad without the sensor wires attached in sedan.

Here's one advantage to hybrid mode. The speedo uses the sensor timing on startup/low speeds and then switches to sensorless timing after that. You can turn the timing on the motor down so that it launches hard and the speedo will switch over to sensorless giving you the high timing that you want for the straight.

The only time that I've had anything act funny with the RS was when a motor let go. It gogged, shorted out, and the speedo unsoldered it's self from the battery. Speedo still runs like a champ but the motor is quite smelly.

The thermal shutdown for the motor and speed control both work. The motor cutoff is pretty high though.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Oh Sorry, i didnt realise there was a cut off for motor temperature. Any idea how high is pretty high?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I guess I was under the impression is led to jerky startups? I'll try it both ways, sounds like you guys like it now?

Does the ESC allow the motor to go into thermal shutdown? Can I disable it?

I'll mess with the other settings as well. I can't believe I'm dragging a laptop to the track. I do this hobby to get away from computers. :-)
Sorry I said sensorless only above but meant to say sensored only. The start-ups should be the same in theory. Both start up using sensors. Just one keeps using them after start-up and the other switches to sensorless. I found my motors were much cooler in the hybrid mode.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mangoman
Oh Sorry, i didnt realise there was a cut off for motor temperature. Any idea how high is pretty high?

I didn't measure the motor temp when it shut off but it was extremely high on a Speedpassion 13.5 (like over 200 high). So, either there's a shutoff or the motor was just saying "no mass" at that point.

The temp sensor on all of the motors is on the little sensor board and it may or may not see the same temperature that the winds are at. I think that the motors are a little different by manufacturer also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.