Wiki Posts
Search

220mm GPR Class

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
"Essentially they are saying that due to the power of modern .12 engines that the cars have become more difficult to control."

Does anyone agree with this statement? I sure don't.
I don't agree with that statement either. Since I have developed some skills, I can control mine just fine.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

But that is always the problem in the hobby speed can easily be bought for 4 to 5 hundred $$ skill is acquired and the thing most people dont want to wait for, lazy azzez. IMo the 200mm cars run fine with the tires we use now, people have to be a little smarter when buying engines knowing their driving limits not everyone can drive a high powered engine to start out with but they ket their wallets dictate their actual skills.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JLock
I don't agree with that statement either. Since I have developed some skills, I can control mine just fine.
I definitely don't agree with their statement....If they're scared of the power buy a dog....more power more fun....
Old 02-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
Dude, this class was very popular in the early 2000s (don't know where you have been). ROAR had a lot to do with killing off this class in the states. Also, the rising cost of the equipment of the class contributed helped to contribute to its demise (a 4wd 235mm car with 5/7 port big-block .15 cost just as much as a 1/8th scale package when 235mm started to die off). I have two of them (the Serpent chassis) and wish that it would come back. I had more fun racing it than either my 200mm or 1/8th scale.
The key word is "was popular". and you wrote the reasons why it didn't work so wouldn't it be easier just to put a special tire and body on your touring 200mm chasis...
Old 02-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TomB
waste of time. Either bring 235mm back or forget it. At the moment 8th scale is benefiting from the demise of 235mm i think, so leave the IC section as is.
..agree..with so many classes out there now this is not needed............bringing back pan 1/8 would be better than this.......pure money grab.............
Old 02-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Their stated reason is indeed off the mark. On a track with a prepared surface, there isn't really a problem getting traction.

I wonder if the value may come for people running weekend races on parking lot-based tracks where traction is an issue.

And given that the class doesn't require a brand-new car, the risk for trying it is lower.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

I agree with you Arboleda the increase in tire width could possibly help on parking lot tracks where the traction is low. But if these mighty mouse motors manufactors continue to try to produce the most powerful .12 motor for racing the hp output is going to one day surpass the ability of the narrow touring tires to provide grip, traction for!! And I believe we are getting close to that point now.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

It's a really nice idea, but I personally don't think it will handle like the 235mm or 8th onroad. Don't forget those two cars have floating rear body mounts so downforce is transfered to the hubs allow full suspension operation at all speeds. Without one all the downforce is pushing on the rear of the car allowing less suspension action and the rear end too planted. I tried driving with a lola body vs the stratus 3.0 and ended up using the stratus consistently being the car felt more freely. As for that line about .12s becoming too powerful to control that is a load of bs. I've seen some fast sedan drivers who can carry good corner speed almost to match 8th onroad vehicles and so forth.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Oh yeah forgot to mention with the new tire size re-gearing might be something to consider. I'm kinda thinking maybe down one tooth on the pinions. If they really want to go with this plan then I would want to use a floating rear body mount for my MTX4 and then use a solid rear axle and the lola body. Would love to see the sedans really keeping up with the 8ths turn for turn.

Last edited by HarKonnenD; 02-16-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If a motor is too fast for a track, there are always options to tune it down so that a car is more drivable. To think that you have to create a whole new class to address the issue is just, well... ludicrous!
Old 02-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

HarKonnenD I was talking about traction conditions on a parking lot track which usually can't match the kind of traction you have on your typical permanent track. The racing .12 size engine hp rating is rapidly approaching that of a sport .21 if it keeps increasing it will create traction problems on low traction parking lot tracks I have no doubt about that. To think other wise is bs.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

True. My post wasn't in response to you though just thought I'd share my opinion. With parking lot tracks in mind, why don't they just blow off the spot they plan to race and lay down traction additive? My home track, Floyd Bennett Field, before we moved to a permanent track setting raced in parking lots and did just that with no issues.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I can't see why trying this would hurt. It seems like 1/10 sedans are in a funk as it is anyway. Have you seen any new sedan racers at the track lately? I have had one for a year now but just can't get enough interest to run it....I keep runnung 1/8, I think 1/10 sedan is played out.....just like 1/10 electric touring.....I might be wrong!! Let's hear it on this.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:37 AM
Tech Master

I have a R-40 that I put a .18 tz in running on your typical touring size tires gave me no traction all I did was spinout. Going up a couple of teeth on the pinion gear did not help either. I changed rollcenters, ride height, caster, camber, toe-in, toe-out, shock oil, shock springs, different shore tires nothing worked until I changed the width of my tires. 30mm wide in the front and 35mm wide on the rear. Now my R-40 handles like it is on rails and is the terror of the parking lot. The .18 OS TZ is great it is cheap horsepower when you are on a budget and just parking lot bashing!! Calandra Racing Concepts provides the 35mm tires and they just fit under a 200mm body. In my opinion we are having a horsepower war going on between the high end manufactors with the .12 size engine. The .12 size motor has gone from producing as little as 0.56 hp to 1.9 if this evolution continues the output of these motors will surpass the avaliable traction of current touring car tires.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Nitro- Were you the one sometime last year talking about using the .18TZ in the R40 with the stock or LW gears? I'd use the LW .8 module gears and find the lowest gearing option avaiable. Don't forget the .18TZ makes 2.3HP on the dyno and easily spins over 40k rpm...which is a no brainer why you spin out often. I watch a friend's vid of a Serpent 705 vs another car (forgot what brand) with the .18TZ. The other car kept spinning out constantly out of every turn compared to the 705 (powered by the Orion Wasp .12TURBO.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.