Wiki Posts
Search

You will NEVER win a big race so just accept it

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

this post we all see way too often...

"I know it would motivate me more to attend if I could not only race along side the big guys, but also have a class I could race against other guys like myself."

You do have a class of other guys like yourself to run with its called the B, C, D, E... etc. wherever you fall.

Our biggest problem with the whole sport is everyone wants it handed to them on a silver platter. I can't win so lets make a new class that I have a better shot at. News flash go ahead and make a new class for sub par drivers. guess what there will still be sub par drivers better than you and you still won't win... or you'll have sandbaggers that run in the class...

Either put in the time and effort to improve to the level you want to be at or just enjoy the hobby and have fun with your friends. (option 2 is the better choice btw)

everyone wants to be sponsored and as fast as cyrul, toso, baker, etc.
but guess what once you get to that level you aren't just racing to win you are racing for a pay check to pay the bills. Its no longer a hobby at that point. That's a lot of pressure added on top of all the stick time and wrenching...
Old 02-06-2008, 02:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by notateamracer
what makes them winners is there gear. all things equal the ones with the better stuff you or i cant buy will win.
Give any top 50 driver from the worlds your car and gear and I bet they will lay down some laps you didn't think it was capable of.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
Give any top 50 driver from the worlds your car and gear and I bet they will lay down some laps you didn't think it was capable of.

That's right on. I gave my buddy Mike Haynes my type R to drive when the battery was already on it's way out and he was still 6 tenths faster than i was when the battery was fresh. He would have been faster if he made it feel like his own car and drove with his own radio. I've been racing for a little over a year and I know i cant keep up but still want to race in different venue's. This hobby has truly made me happy and helps relieve the stress of my Job.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

It would be pretty lame to hear your $500 Phi needs a $120 chassis to compete. I can understand why that would put someone off.

For what it's worth, Schreff won with a car most people left for dead. I bet it had the stock chassis, and can be bought new for well under $400.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default he's got a point!

here is the low down guys dont just jump on the guy and call him stipid names like cry baby how old are you guys he has a VERY valid piont! first, the top racers are very good drivers and what makes them great is a cobination of things mainly TRACK TIME!!! these guys get paid to race so they spend many hours practicing and if you guys or myself spent 40+ hours a week practicing, making the a-main or winning the a-main would not be a problem. second, these pro drivers were never great until they got backing from big sponsers they were just good - really good drivers, EQUIPMENT,SET UP, MOTORS & BATTERIES play a huge part in r/c racing and if you think it does'nt you're nuts, alot of these guys have engineers to set their cars up, motor guru's to build, tweek & set up their motors, batteries from sponsers with voltage & resitance numbers that you & i could only dream of, put that together with a super sick ESC that looks like yours & mine but operate's with secret circuts that allow them to run at crazy high frequency with super low on resistance & on top of that run secret profiles that have things like traction control ( not current limiting) all thes things put together makes the racer GREAT! they are not just super gifted at driving r/c cars they have plenty help that your average every weekend driver does not TRUST ME!. with all that said there should simply be a pro only class, because even if you & i did practice 40+ hours a wk you & i would be really good but still couldnt compete because you would be lacking in all the other areas.. PS im not telling you what i heard! like some guys in here, IM TELLING YOU WHAT I KNOW!
Old 02-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Pro level = Amain at a big event......even if it's someone who pays for everything themselves.

It breaks down to one thing.....go to an event and just have fun.
I'm sure 99.99 of us have reg jobs with reg paychecks....
so it isn't often we get attend a major event...

Enjoy it ...if you can place in a decent place for your experience level (whatever that might be).

Most hopups for the reg or club racer won't make a huge difference (been there, done that myself).
Remember most companies are just that a company, who wants/needs to make a buck...hop-ups I'm sure account for a large portion of revenues.
So sure it's nice to have all the extras.

Let's promote the hobby...not tear it apart. PLEASE>

but

JuSt HaVe FuN!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

so in other words you're saying he didn't practice enough NBL.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had a good conversation with Jeff Cuffs on Saturday about this, and he really felt as did I that he could, in stock and 19t at least, go to the hobby shop and buy anything he needed to win a big race. Mod is a very different story, that is truly proto parts (espically in motors and speedos these days with brushless, there is no way you can compete in mod with off the shelf versions of those components). Also the cost of upkeep in mod is alot higher. In stock though you really have no idea what you are talking about if you are saying you cant buy the right stuff to tq and win. I know what held me back from winning, my driving.

Mark Strasnick
Old 02-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

your post actually makes cents i just get frustrated i practice my a$$ off and i still suck and lose. yes i have spent a bundle and never make the A. I dont know maybe i am a crybaby loser but I just want to win once and feel what it feels like. i run an corally and now i hear i have to buy an aftermarket chassis for carpet i cant keep up.
The 1/12 stock class was TQ'ed and won (Jeff Brown, TQ and Jeff Cuffs, winner) by stock SP12x kit cars, with a few changes that can be done by any racer. See the 12x thread for details. There were Corally team drivers trying a prototype chassis in the stock A main, but they weren't quite as fast.

If you are talking about Touring, then aftermarket stiff chassis have been available to everyone for awhile. Even the newest CEFX parts could be had by anyone placing an order soon enough. A big part of doing well is research about available upgrades and testing BEFORE the big race by YOU, the racer. Most manufacturers are very supportive of their customers and share the latest setups and tricks. They WANT you to make the A.

But you have to do your part and work at it.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:38 PM
moy
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

maybe this hobby is not for you.winning takes time and practice.dont be a complete idiot with your story.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by notateamracer
your post actually makes cents i just get frustrated i practice my a$$ off and i still suck and lose. yes i have spent a bundle and never make the A. I dont know maybe i am a crybaby loser but I just want to win once and feel what it feels like. i run an corally and now i hear i have to buy an aftermarket chassis for carpet i cant keep up.

I won cleveland with a completely stock car that i bought from stormer hobbies the week before. The only thing that i added to the phi was the ceramic diff balls and aluminum steering knuckles. There is nothing on my car that you cant buy off the shelf.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nuthinbutlosi
these pro drivers were never great until they got backing from big sponsers they were just good
They were good enough to seperate themselves from everyone else enough to get noticed and get the sponsors...that sounds like a great driver to me.

really good drivers, EQUIPMENT,SET UP, MOTORS & BATTERIES play a huge part in r/c racing and if you think it does'nt you're nuts,
True it is the whole package. However the difference at the pro level between equipment makes a much bigger impact at the pro level then it does for the regular racer. Give a really good regular racer pro equipment and the amount of improvement due to that isn't likely to move him up in position. It may make him marginally faster but that's about it.

put that together with a super sick ESC that looks like yours & mine but operate's with secret circuts that allow them to run at crazy high frequency with super low on resistance
You do realize that ESCs have been reducing drive frequency rather then increasing it. High drive frequencies make the throttle feel mushy, lower frequencies are punchier. The Novak Cyclone still has one of the highest capable frequencies if not the highest and it is almost never used that high.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stormperson
I had a good conversation with Jeff Cuffs on Saturday about this, and he really felt as did I that he could, in stock and 19t at least, go to the hobby shop and buy anything he needed to win a big race. Mod is a very different story, that is truly proto parts (espically in motors and speedos these days with brushless, there is no way you can compete in mod with off the shelf versions of those components). Also the cost of upkeep in mod is alot higher. In stock though you really have no idea what you are talking about if you are saying you cant buy the right stuff to tq and win. I know what held me back from winning, my driving.

Mark Strasnick
That was right around the time when the 8 year flipped me off LOL good times
Old 02-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
It would be pretty lame to hear your $500 Phi needs a $120 chassis to compete. I can understand why that would put someone off.

For what it's worth, Schreff won with a car most people left for dead. I bet it had the stock chassis, and can be bought new for well under $400.
The losi car is awesome, but.................
Originally Posted by protc3
Congrats to Jason Schreffler for his 2nd place A main 1/12th finish at the Snowbird Nationals with his DB12R and *****both his wins in stock and 19T TC with that one off chassis,top deck and towers i made for him.**** You my friend, ARE A MACHINE!!!!!!!!!! You deserved this one big time bro. You were way overdue.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
The losi car is awesome, but.................
Damn... that's disappointing. Maybe the guy that created this thread has a point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.