Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Yosh70
I'm not an expert, still new to the on-road but it sounds like the same problem my little guy was having with his M05 last weekend.

What is your rear camber setting?
Hi mate,

It's stock at the mo. I originally had this issue with my M05 which is now well sorted. Thing is, I can't remember what I did, it just seemed to well, get better! Maybe they 'settle' down after a while
Old 01-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boons
Hi all,

I'd like to explain how my swb M03 is (or isn't) handling at the moment and get some suggestions. I've set this new car up the same as a friends car as his handles a treat.

I run blue front springs, 600cst oil, yellow (and I've tried red) rear springs with 350cst oil, zero front toe, EPA set at 80% both sides as I found the inside tyre was touching the shock at lean angle, M grip 60d tyres, rear hard roll bar, 56mm shocks, and a kit built untweaked diff, around 5mm ground clearance.

What it does is have a very loose rear end which doesn't improve as the race goes on. I've tried additive on the rear tyres with no improvement. When I stick Sweep 25 slicks on the back the car is perfect.

I'm on carpet, one track is medium grip the other is high grip yet the car does the same.

The only difference between mine and my mates cars is that his has a tighter diff.

Any ideas?
I would try removing the rear roll bar.
Also, how droop does your shocks have?
Old 01-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

decided to bring my m05 from the grave. Thought it would be fun to run it on open track days for fun/practice. Mini racing here died about 3 years ago, but I loved the close racing we had. Too bad no one around here is interested in running them Still have my EZrun system and lipo from then still worked
Will post pics when I get it running again this week
Old 01-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

My experience is the M grip on the front on carpet is very aggressive. Your friends tires could be a little more worn which will take some bite out of the front. A basic tire setup on carpet here is s grip fronts and type a slicks on the rear. I usually lean towards a little more rear grip than front and balance with tire additive on the front. Sometimes we used just the inner two rows of tread on the fronts and the whole rear. This is just a generic setup. If your not bound to Tamiya tires there are better choices.

Also I use the rear swaybar for fine adjustments.. It's not a fix all dramatic change.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Boons
Hi all,

I'd like to explain how my swb M03 is (or isn't) handling at the moment and get some suggestions. I've set this new car up the same as a friends car as his handles a treat.

I run blue front springs, 600cst oil, yellow (and I've tried red) rear springs with 350cst oil, zero front toe, EPA set at 80% both sides as I found the inside tyre was touching the shock at lean angle, M grip 60d tyres, rear hard roll bar, 56mm shocks, and a kit built untweaked diff, around 5mm ground clearance.

What it does is have a very loose rear end which doesn't improve as the race goes on. I've tried additive on the rear tyres with no improvement. When I stick Sweep 25 slicks on the back the car is perfect.

I'm on carpet, one track is medium grip the other is high grip yet the car does the same.

The only difference between mine and my mates cars is that his has a tighter diff.

Any ideas?
I actually ran harder oil in the rear than the front. Seemed to keep the rear settled down. Might want to try 500F red/yellow and 600R blue. Not sure if you have the alum rear carriers, but using the lower hole for the camber link helped too.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
A basic tire setup on carpet here is s grip fronts and type a slicks on the rear. I usually lean towards a little more rear grip than front and balance with tire additive on the front. Sometimes we used just the inner two rows of tread on the fronts and the whole rear. This is just a generic setup. If your not bound to Tamiya tires there are better choices.
I'm running the opposite; Type A front, S Grip rear, full width dope on all. But I also run a very free (ball) diff.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by howardcano
I'm running the opposite; Type A front, S Grip rear, full width dope on all. But I also run a very free (ball) diff.
I think we may see more of that as the new S grips are much softer and aren't working anything like they used to. Your car looked great in Omaha. Sorry I couldn't finish the main.. Goofy sensor wire!!
Old 01-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Sorry I couldn't finish the main.. Goofy sensor wire!!
I recall some old geezer telling you to replace the sensor wire after it acted up in one of the qualifiers...
Old 01-22-2014, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by howardcano
I recall some old geezer telling you to replace the sensor wire after it acted up in one of the qualifiers...
Old 01-22-2014, 09:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Can't recall if I've asked this already...

Anyone know how to get the m03 rear anti-roll bar to fit an m04? I've seen a picture or two, but they were too blurry to be useful.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Well. I just picked up a M-05 today. Came with the spec preglued wheels/tires, tamiya esc with silver can brushed motor, hop up front and rear shocks, complete hop up aluminum steering rack. Basically the right places to have the hop-ups as everything else is fairly good as is. Also came with a Honda body. Paid $75 for it, just needs a servo and upgraded speed control with motor.

I also picked up a TA-05 that needs servo and all mounting hardware for the servo. It came with a Novak Havok speed control and 21.5 Novak SS Pro motor. I plan to yank that stuff out of the TA-05 and stuff it in the M-05.

Looking forward to TCS next March.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

any feedback on the Honda CR-X MWB body? compared to the Swift?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VooDooPH
any feedback on the Honda CR-X MWB body? compared to the Swift?

Thanks!
personally, I liked it better then the swift..

much lower COG, most stream-lined then the swift - also seems to be a little more durable, lexan-wise (little thicker, at least in the standard thickness)

seemed to have just as much grip as the swift did for me, even though it doesn't come with any kind of rear wing...just a little lip on the truck lid
Old 01-23-2014, 06:16 AM
Tech Champion

Howard, was that the same layout as last time in Omaha?
Old 01-23-2014, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Howard, was that the same layout as last time in Omaha?
No, this new layout was quite a bit faster. I also finally turned up the throttle EPA to 100%.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.