Old 10-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by The Big Wig
Who else?
Spice makes 5.0 and 5.5 mm inserts
Sweep 4.5mm
Ride 4.0mm
Atomic 5.0mm

There are others, but a little research will unearth them. Most of the above can be found at the usual HK shops and the Sweeps are available direct.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:09 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
I have lost count of the amount of times I/we have told people -

Use a TA03 ball diff, built as per instructions except for AW grease, tighten it, and leave it...

9/10 rc-mini net cars run this and have done so for years....
I tend to ignore you and your terrible advice. If I spent all my time listening to you, my car wouldn't be nearly as blue, shiny and heavy as it is. It would just be another stupid, fast car, that won races. Who wants that?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Yup, M06R: Rear axle weights, relocated lower rear damper mounts and shiny red stuff. That's about it.

Looks like a disco clown barfed up a car.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 08-12-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I followed Granpa's instructions for the ball diff, and twice I tightened the nut as the instructions, then I ran it and both times the nut stripped a few races in.

Maybe I just don't know my own strength.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jjjheimer
I followed Granpa's instructions for the ball diff, and twice I tightened the nut as the instructions, then I ran it and both times the nut stripped a few races in.

Maybe I just don't know my own strength.
That could be. You use loctite so you don't have to crank down so hard on the screw. I've only seen that once and that guy had arms bigger than my legs.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:45 AM
Tech Regular

Yup, M06R: Rear axle weights, relocated lower rear damper mounts and shiny red stuff. That's about it.

Hey Monkey,
thanks for the pics.
Definitely not a style improvement for me.
So basically, itŽs a M06 Pro with Alu rear uprights and extra weights but without Aluminum steering linkage. O.K., TRF dampers are already included.
But hey, no Carbon shock tower plates with the really good Aluminum rear shock tower and the new located holes.
And all this good parts are blue...

But what do you mean by relocated lower rear damper mounts?
For me it looks, that they are still in the upright axle. So itŽs interesting what Shock length Taiya uses on the TRF dampers. The original CVA`s have a longer piston rod at the M06 in rear...

BR,
Matthias
Old 10-12-2012, 02:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The damper mount in question is circled in blue in this image. It appears to move the point further outwards and down.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 08-12-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing

Oh I wish I had 5 bucks for every time I've heard that phrase....
I'd have... 5 bucks
Old 10-12-2012, 02:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I could have also gone with "Ultra-Fabulous Super-Gay Christmas Explosion-tacular!"
Old 10-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Sometimes we all forget how much we owe you for the info on your website. I for one learned a lot and much of what I do had it's basis from your site. My first efforts were built exactly as you recommended. There are differences now, but that's primarily due to the different rules we race to and some personal preferences.

If I haven't thanked you before, let me thank you now for getting me started on the right path in Mini racing. People wouldn't have some of these weird problems if they had built their cars following your guidelines. Not that I didn't have an odd problem or two and more than one WTF.
rc-mini came about because Tim and I (we were the 'guns' back in '96, Tim still is, I CBF any more) were constantly getting asked 'How do I do this?' etc, etc..
And one early morning at work for Mr Henry Ford the 'Why don't we do a website?' idea emerged. And on 15 Sep 1996 rc-mini.net was born...

I'm still astounded that a lot of what we put on the site back then is still relevant. I'm equally astounded that so many people read what's there, and then ignore it completely and do the opposite!

I also can't believe I've been racing Minis all this time....

TG
Old 10-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
That could be. You use loctite so you don't have to crank down so hard on the screw. I've only seen that once and that guy had arms bigger than my legs.
Its easier than you think. Ive stripped or broken 4 of my own and about 5 others i know of. On high bite carpet, the diff had to be so close to a spool if you wanted to be competitive. Either we tightened them down, almost to breaking point, or you 'diffed out' on corner exit and lost ground.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I could have also gone with "Ultra-Fabulous Super-Gay Christmas Explosion-tacular!"
Jim you have been hanging around Brad for way too long now.....
Old 10-13-2012, 02:38 AM
Tech Regular

The damper mount in question is circled in blue in this image. It appears to move the point further outwards and down.
Thanks Monkey,
now I see what you meant!
Interesting. Hope Tamiya will give an final overall advice how to mount the shocks and in which length for the M06!? As the mounting points on the new Carbon upper tower (4 holes) are even upwards compared to the original plastic mount, and now the lower point moves even more out and down at the same time.
Anyway, something new to discuss in the M06 thread, IŽd say...

BR,
Matthias
Old 10-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
Thanks Monkey,
now I see what you meant!
Interesting. Hope Tamiya will give an final overall advice how to mount the shocks and in which length for the M06!? As the mounting points on the new Carbon upper tower (4 holes) are even upwards compared to the original plastic mount, and now the lower point moves even more out and down at the same time.
Anyway, something new to discuss in the M06 thread, IŽd say...

BR,
Matthias
Maybe to use longer shocks, like the normal touring ones. With softer springs you could get a bigger droop and more travel. It could make the car softer on the rear and give better grip. Theoretically at least... I don't really know cause i don't have one. Or maybe to change shock angle relative to the arms.. that would make its action more or less progressive..
Old 10-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Tech Adept

whats up everyone, I just got my M05 together, i run on high traction carpet.

I want to know what tamiya tires would work best/.

and what do you put in the gear diff? I used 100k and the car pushes off power & spins the wheels if i slow down prior to the turn & power out

I know i am losing time & we have a cahs race this weekend & i want to win some $$$

Thanks guys/gals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.