Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yep, we got it pretty good !! Lookin forward to another good day PJ. I'll be starting some promotional stuff shortly in the hopes of getting some new racers. C you out there Sunday. Hope Paul can make it. Shame we're losing him but when the military says go...you go.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

As some of you might know, I have been systematically winding down my R/C racing to almost nothing at this point. I've been doing this stuff since 1983, and I'm frankly completely burned out on everything about it. I keep thinking it will get better, but it doesn't. Without any real local tracks for me anymore (within an hour and a half), it's more of a burden to race than offering any enjoyment. Over the last 6 months, I have been selling off my entire vintage R/C collection of cars and parts, and will probably be selling off pretty much everything else I have left now, too (including my T/A setup).

Some of you also might be aware that I own and operate a real motorsports website community (ApexSpeed.com) that also keeps me pretty busy. With a new Formula Ford in the garage and an also very new 3 month old baby in the house, R/C racing has taken more than a back seat in my life—it's been all but eliminated.

I'm fried. Done. Had it. Tired of answering the same questions over and over again. I Can't supervise the USVTA anymore, or give it the attention it deserves, so I won't let it deteriorate without strong leadership. It would be foolish to think that I could offer the right management of the website and rules package from afar, so I won't even try.

In that, I'm handing off the reigns of the USVTA to Rob King (robk). Rob is not only very closely connected to the history of the USVTA as we grew it, but is very actively racing and has the very best interests of this class at heart. I wouldn't expect too much in the way of change around here, though. If you thought I was stubborn with the rules, wait until you have to deal with Rob. And don't ask him when the Tekin 21.5 or the HPI Corvette will be legal, either. They won't.

If you have any legitimate questions regarding the class, plese now direct everything to Rob. He will be able to answer everything as it arises. And if you are in the market for a killer ready-to-bind and race Schumacher Mi3 (21.5/Orion LiPo/Futaba/Spektrum/Tekin RSpro) with an awesome spares package, that is completely dialed for T/A, let me know.

doug
Old 05-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sorry to see you go...hope the retirement is good to you....thanks for bringing myself as well as many others to TRANS-AM racing as well as some very important issues with R/C racing...I know I wouldnt be running any kind of on-road without this class...thanks for the class and good luck with everything else...

cya ...Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard

oh before I go...something to remember me by..lol j/k
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-005.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-006.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-007.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-004.jpg  
Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hats off and kudos to you Doug!

Good luck and thanks for getting me back into RC and meeting some good people down here in Florida.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Champion

Well I want to thank you for all that you and robk have poured into this. Thanks for fighting battles you shouldnt have had to fight.
There are a lot of old touring cars that would still be collecting dust if it werent for you guys.
Robk - You are the guy I would have picked to take the reigns if it had been my choice. Thanks for being willing to serve in the position.

Doug- Cheers friend. I hope to still see you around from time to time.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Likewise Doug....VTA was and is a breath of fresh air for me. You're attitude and strength is what makes me really appreciate the effort. Alot of people would have buckled under the constant barrage of complaints and screams for change. Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:19 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Doug, I hope you accept my sincere wishes of gratitude for your work with Vintage Trans Am.

Although I have yet to race it, my interest in VTA is that it brings the hobby back to being a hobby, and not a sport. The whole purpose of this is to have fun, and more and more racers are forgetting that. Regular touring car has become very expensive, and that's fine, but it shuts out the racers who just want to have fun and have no interest in winning the next trophy race.

Rob K, good luck with the future of USVTA. OMG are you gonna need it!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jiml
Rob K, good luck with the future of USVTA. OMG are you gonna need it!
He will be fine. Dont worry!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Doug,

Sorry to hear you're going but I understand. Thanks for all you did to get VTA started.

Rob,

Congrats on the new job, so glad I'm not you!!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As an on-road newbie, I'll echo Darkside and say that I wouldn't be running on-road at all if it weren't for VTA. Part of the appeal are the stable rules -- I don't mind spending what it takes to get my deal together, but if I have buy new crap every two months to keep from getting smoked, I'll go back to off-road truck, thank you very much.

A used TC3 off eBay, the Novak Havoc setup and my trusty Spektrum and I'm good for the foreseeable future (except for tires).

I don't know Doug, but I agree with every post he's made regarding rules, and I wince when I read some of the cockamamie suggestions for changing them. I can perfectly understand his frustration and burn-out. Plus, anyone who runs Formula Ford is ok in my book (Crossle 35F for me).

So its good to hear that Robk is committed to holding the rules stable and keeping VTA what it was intended to be -- a great way to enjoy the RC hobby.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Doug, thanks so much for all you have done. Maybe sometime in the future if you come out of retirement you'll join us racing at Strictly or Underground. Both are under an hour from your house.

RobK, I'll raise my hand and offer help with the USVTA website if you'll need the help. Just ask.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

On behalf of us east coast guys, I wanna say thanks for creating such a class that IS "back to basics" and back to having FUN racing with your buds....

Yeah, I got out of running onroad for a few seasons because of the out of control costs of sedan racing around here. USVTA is popping around here, and we're looking for an awesome summer of racing.

I can understand the burn out thing, and sometimes it's best to just step back, before it gets too unhealthy.

We're going to continue supporting/promoting this class hard, here on the east coast, and look forward to working with robk to make it even better....

If you have to sell your stuff, at least keep your VTA, because someday you may wish you did, so you can still "play" at one of the many USVTA tracks if you have to travel somewhere.....:coughcoughNewJerseycoughcough::

Old 05-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
In that, I'm handing off the reigns of the USVTA to Rob King (robk).

doug
all hail, the new 'king'. (i'm an idiot).

seriously, doug, awesome job. the 'get with the program' philosophy needs to be widely applied in r/c.

robk, congrats. (stock up on advil).

oh, and if either of you are ever in cleveland ... (i own a queen-sized bed)
Old 05-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Yes all Hail "Abe the Sausage King of Chicago"

Thanks for everything Doug.

Mr King......now on to better and bigger things can I run a Mazda 6 body in VTA with sorex tires??? I sure hope so.....
Old 05-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JonnySocko
Rob,

Congrats on the new job, so glad I'm not you!!
time to bring the old avatars back out for the King is BACK!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.