Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HIGH DOWN FORCE WINGS

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 04:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GenReaper
I use my wing to absorb my stacks from bad driving.
Comparing speed to a 1:1 car is stupid.
Tried Ofna wing, Proline wing, Himoto wings and you know what i found, NO Difference.
Most of these buggy's don't even go fast enough to utalise downforce.
Its all bling.
The only time it would have effect is over a main straight jump for stability or on a fast sweeping corner.
Dont kid yourselfs.

Coming from the Drag Racing scene to Nitro RC i would say i know a little about aerodynamics.

RC Buggy's are realy not fast enough to warrent this thread, but i enjoyed the mud slinging, grow up.
Have you tried racing/driving with no wing on a track ?

you are right in saying they don't make allot of difference but racing is made up of small gains everywhere to have a all round package that works for you

At club meets I run a RTR buggy and push it to limits

Now before I had a standard wing and buggy handled OK

tried a TCR wing and I did notice the difference with high speed jumps and rough area's of track were speeds are at more than half throttle

we are all looking for that little more that helps with a buggy truggy etc..... to bring times and consistency down at a competitive level
Old 12-09-2007, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)

Proline Racing Accessories..........nuff said
Old 12-09-2007, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nsgland
Without question, the more Co's will make for better prices.more R&D and better products. I bought one of the Cobra wings and like it very much. I have an xb8tq. The wing makes my buggy very stable in and out of corners and excellent control over jumps. Would not trade it for the world. Thanks Team Cobra !!!!!!

When will Amain or Bmain Hobbies carry Team Cobra products? (Tires and wheels) is what I am looking for. Or should I order from Raceday Hobbies where I got the wing. Did I mention that Cobra makes a great wing.

Neil
your welcome

happy racing to all
Old 12-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mister-E
I do notice that the downforce will help the buggy's handling from a certain speed and during jumps. Before that speed is reached, handling of the buggy will be dictated by its "suspension setup".
I'm interested in a brand/type of wing which will not bent that easyly if by accidents you did not manage to keep the shiny side up ;-)
Any idea? Tried already the Himoto, Ofna and JConcepts.

I agree , from my limited experience ive found standard wings are the most consistant. When i tried High Downforce wings or tilting up a normal wing i found i had better straight line stability at speed but coming into corners was tricky . The smaller wings i tried felt better and i got better lap times because the un predictability decreased and straight line speed increased. Ive also noticed in F1 racing that their rear wings are getting smaller. might be something in that ..

M
Old 12-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nsgland
Without question, the more Co's will make for better prices.more R&D and better products. I bought one of the Cobra wings and like it very much. I have an xb8tq. The wing makes my buggy very stable in and out of corners and excellent control over jumps. Would not trade it for the world. Thanks Team Cobra !!!!!!

When will Amain or Bmain Hobbies carry Team Cobra products? (Tires and wheels) is what I am looking for. Or should I order from Raceday Hobbies where I got the wing. Did I mention that Cobra makes a great wing.

Neil
the Himoto /cobra wings are ok but I wouldn't waste my money on the tyres

the Jconcepts is my pic its strong, pretty consistant entering and exiting turns and doesn't seem to effect the car in the air as much as other HDW tend to
Old 12-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RETRO RC
the Himoto /cobra wings are ok but I wouldn't waste my money on the tyres
I assume you have tried the tires and can share some inputs to back up your statement ?

-m
Old 12-12-2007, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)

Originally Posted by GenReaper
I use my wing to absorb my stacks from bad driving.
Comparing speed to a 1:1 car is stupid.
Tried Ofna wing, Proline wing, Himoto wings and you know what i found, NO Difference.
Most of these buggys dont even go fast enough to utalise downforce.
Its all bling.
The only time it would have effect is over a main straight jump for stability or on a fast sweeping corner.
Dont kid yourselfs.

Coming from the Drag Racing scene to Nitro RC i would say i know a little about aerodynamics.

RC Buggys are realy not fast enough to warrent this thread, but i enjoyed the mud slinging, grow up.

take the wing off your buggy/truggy and see what happens to your lap times
Old 12-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Tech Initiate

2 race meets back I was hit head on at full speed by an out of control truggy 20 min into a 30 min main. It sheared my wing straight off.

I had a 4 lap lead at this point and the next 10 minutes were like driving on ice. We have a loose dusty track. i could not believe how much the wing impacted the handling. The fast straights and sweepers had to be taken much slower to maintain control. Jumping became much tricker as well.

I ended up winning by 2 laps and reviwing the alley cat printout afterwards, my average lap times cleary showed the exact lap i lost my wing it felt it in the handling and showed in lap times. Enough said!!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Brad, I gaurentee you that the wing does make a difference. Yes, mechanical grip takes most of the equation down low but the wing is always contributing. Look at the frontal area of a buggy, look how much area of that is the wing.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

I agree you have to have a wing on a buggy , without it its hopeless to drive . I think where the difference in opinion is not wether one is needed as opposed to HD vs Standard . Aerodynamics play a crutial part in any moving object no matter what speed they go . Personally i dont see the need for High Downforce wings on an off road vehicle negotiating corners etc .. .. If what you need is rear wheel traction on a straight then yes HD wings are good. But aerodynamics are determined by velocity.. the greater the velocity the more down force you get .
but when you have a max down force achieved at say 30 kph and then you slow down for a corner and your down force decreases then your rear end can come unstuck and become unstable.. It all depends on your driver style and set up too but i found that sort of unpredictability a little hard to get used to .. when i went back to a standard wing i got better lap times.. Maybe some people will get better lap times with a HD wing.. who knows .. Its all about the set up that helps you drive to your particular style..

I think its safe to say there is no wrong or right its just what suits your personal style and set up ..

I found in 1/10 on road huge differences between changing the same body but with different holes cut out in the front screen ... Bigger wings were also un predictable unless you had a track with fast sweeping curves and a one way diff in the front ... then you were at an advantage .. Also with the lola body .. Huge difference again ..
Old 12-21-2007, 01:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

-DISCLAIMER- If you try this, it's your decision...

If you really want to get an idea of wing effects...

Take the wing off your model car.

Find someone foolish enough to help you that has a convertable 1:1 car.

Get in the back of the 1:1 car.

Take your model car in both hands and raise it above your head.

Have the driver take in stages it to 10mph, 20mph, 30mph and 40 then 50 holding the car nose up, nose down and then flat on each stage.

Stop, put the wing back on the model car... repeat and spot the differances.

On the serious side, i have broken a wing mid race and suffered on the jumps.

More recently i have been running a sportwerks wing which is quite small surface and small side dams.

My car was jumping badly at a new track featuring "hang time" jumps rather than short tech jumps... it was going nose down and taking a LT of throttle to keep it up. Rather than mess with the suspension for the short run we were at the track i switched to a Kyosh wing for a in the name of experimentation - a lot bigger and stronger than the sportwerks - and straight away i was jumping nicely. Not enough to make up for the rough suspension but enough not look like the worlds worst jumper...
Old 12-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

hi