Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

Yeah its good to see everyone posting setups and stuff, not many people seem to like the Losi, maybe its just the name, i know before i had one we would laugh at the car, but since i have had mine a lot of people had taken notice of it, and i do agree the car has a LARGE sweet spot, with my 416 i was always chasing car setup, the only thing i'm looking for with the typr R is a bit more mid corner grip, it just a bit pushy mid corner.
The car is able to hold it's own against T3's BD5's and the like.

Rhys

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
Also good to see so many people back on the Type R thread. It was going quiet for a while but now its like the good oll days
Old 04-08-2010, 02:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dfiantii
There is a reason why they moved from the motor being forward and moved it to the back. Why would we go back to what did not work in the past?
The original change in the layout to the type R was for better balance with BRUSHED motors and NIMH batteries. These days we run BRUSHLESS and LIPO which means the motors are now heavier and the batteries lighter. When you think about where these are in the car you will understand how the balance has changed.

What we were looking at is moving the steering servo to the side, moving the battery and motor forward, and moving the layshaft back behind the motor (if required). The idea is to have 50/50 on all corners with battery and motor 1st, then servo and ESC in the center of the wheelbase. This should in theory allow much faster rotation in the middle of the corner as the weight is not spread across the length of the chassis.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
The original change in the layout to the type R was for better balance with BRUSHED motors and NIMH batteries. These days we run BRUSHLESS and LIPO which means the motors are now heavier and the batteries lighter. When you think about where these are in the car you will understand how the balance has changed.

What we were looking at is moving the steering servo to the side, moving the battery and motor forward, and moving the layshaft back behind the motor (if required). The idea is to have 50/50 on all corners with battery and motor 1st, then servo and ESC in the center of the wheelbase. This should in theory allow much faster rotation in the middle of the corner as the weight is not spread across the length of the chassis.
I understand what your saying with balance but in so doing, with you changes your changing it from its unique stand point and in turn will make it in some way like every other car thats out there. Electronics one side batteries on the other or close to that. I for one like the uniqueness of where it is now and think it should not change one bit. Its liked for its uniqueness and the FACT that it does not behave like any normal TC. Just my opinion and 2 cents.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I understand what your saying with balance but in so doing, with you changes your changing it from its unique stand point and in turn will make it in some way like every other car thats out there. Electronics one side batteries on the other or close to that. I for one like the uniqueness of where it is now and think it should not change one bit. Its liked for its uniqueness and the FACT that it does not behave like any normal TC. Just my opinion and 2 cents.
You misunderstood what Dragonfire was trying to say. The idea is to slide the motor and Lipo slightly forward along the centerline. To allow this, the servo will have to be relocated. By moving 450 to 500g about an inch towards the front, the car will be already 50/50 F/R. Then we can add any ballast in the middle between the front and rear axles, not all around the front of the car.

We are in two minds in regards to the placement of the layshaft. The theory is by moving it between the motor and rear axle, we have a nice long stretchy front belt, which means a bit more front traction. Otherwise we have to have a slightly shorter front belt than we currently have and slightly longer rear. It doubt this will cause any noticeable increase in rear traction and would surely have less front traction compared to the other option.

We are very close to prototyping. Carbon will be here in a few days for the alpha chassis. I have learned from the past not to make any promises on timelines, so no idea when the chassis will be available if they prove successful. Luckily for me, I have more top level test drivers locally than recently, so proving its speed will be easier.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

I agree that my conclusion of saying it would be like any other tc was drastic, but it still does not change the fact that you will be changing the uniqueness of the car. If you move the servo and the battery, would you not in turn have to mill a new chasis plate, top plate as well as make new rear axle bulkheads and possibly fronts, seeing as how you will be changing the lengths of belts in the process?

Look I am not knocking your ingenuity to make changes to this car, every driver out there has to put lead on their car to make the balancing even but not everyone I think would want to revamp the car to make that balancing change if you have to put so much more cost to get that done. I believe LFairtrace said he did not balance his car and he was wining with it. If i misqouted you Larry I apologize.

Again this is just my opinion. Everyone says this car is so good out the box just seems like alot of things looking to get changed that don't makes that much sense to be changed. More power if you make this work I just dont think its necessary to change something that is not broke.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey guys just a question
will the springs from a losi xxxs fit on the jrxs shocks??
Cheers
Old 04-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by paraletic
Hey guys just a question
will the springs from a losi xxxs fit on the jrxs shocks??
Cheers
No, the shocks are completely different in size.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I agree that my conclusion of saying it would be like any other tc was drastic, but it still does not change the fact that you will be changing the uniqueness of the car. If you move the servo and the battery, would you not in turn have to mill a new chasis plate, top plate as well as make new rear axle bulkheads and possibly fronts, seeing as how you will be changing the lengths of belts in the process?

Look I am not knocking your ingenuity to make changes to this car, every driver out there has to put lead on their car to make the balancing even but not everyone I think would want to revamp the car to make that balancing change if you have to put so much more cost to get that done. I believe LFairtrace said he did not balance his car and he was wining with it. If i misqouted you Larry I apologize.

Again this is just my opinion. Everyone says this car is so good out the box just seems like alot of things looking to get changed that don't makes that much sense to be changed. More power if you make this work I just dont think its necessary to change something that is not broke.
If you read back through the bazillion pages of this thread you will see two common themes, people say that the car hasn't been changed in xxx years and they don't like it, they want to see new and fresh, then people saying the car hasn't been changed in xxx years and that is GREAT, awesome design holds up to the test of time etc and they like it.

Not sure which camp I fall in, but I do like the option to add things here and there if the mood strikes me. Part of the reason i chose the Type-R was to have something different.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

I am for making changes to the car in the sense of tweaking things. I liked the layshaft option even though I have no invested in one yet or the spool option. This just sounds like a big revamp to me. I am all for minor tweaks. Like I said thats just my two cents to this topic. I am sure people who want to see big changes will like the moving of the motor, servo, and having to get different dimension belts and whatever else will need to be purchased. I wish you guys the best of luck in that change.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You are right that this is not just a new chassis. Its much more involved and it has been drawn on cad and is ready for prototyping.

Its not so much ingenuity, but plain physics. The most dense parts of the car is the motor followed by the lead ballast. This weight is placed at either end of the car creating a high moment of inertia resisting initial rotation and then resisting stopping of rotation at corner exit. I have discussed this with the former losi prototype engineer and he fully agrees.

Also remember that even though this car was quite lipo friendly, it was designed and tested at a time when brushed motors(lighter than brushless) and NiMH(much heavier tha lipo) were still used. When using the heavy brushless and light lipo's this car become rear biased. Yes Larry won without balancing but that is not to say that this already great car can't be improved(Larry would probably not agree though).

I have great support from some of the best drivers in OZ and there is no better time to get this happening as Losi appear to have stopped stocking top decks!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

I await the final product...
Old 04-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Just spoke with LOSI... Parts are now being phased out officially. Car is DEAD. Bummer!
Old 04-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Someone Take Torys shoelaces
Old 04-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Furman
Just spoke with LOSI... Parts are now being phased out officially. Car is DEAD. Bummer!
If we promise to off-road the Type-R, or make a BMI crawler conversion for it, do you think they will reconsider?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
If we promise to off-road the Type-R, or make a BMI crawler conversion for it, do you think they will reconsider?

I have 8th scale buggy tires.. hmm...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.