Community
Wiki Posts
Search

pros and cons of nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It really depends on what you've already got and what you'll need to buy new. If you've already been running nitro then you would already have the other stuff that adds up quickly (wrench's, glow ignitor, plugs, etc), but its the same way with electric (ie: batteries, chargers, etc). Either way you go when you start new you have alot of small things to buy that really add up quickly.

For instance i've been running nitro for years so this year when i got my Losi 8ight buggy and truggy all i needed was some new plugs, engines, and servos. I bought used vehicles that were well maintained and used very little. I bought my truggy for $325 shipped to my door, it was a race roller with upgrades preinstalled. You add the engine, servos, rx and that was about another $300. But the truggy race roller brand new retails for $649, so all in all i'm in a race ready rig for even less than i could have bought the ready to run version, plus i have solid servos and a great engine to boot.

So basically its just how effective and efficent you are with your money. If you are one of those that will only buy new and nothing but new, then you are going to pay a bunch of money to end up where i am now spending 1/2 of what it would cost to get me here with a new rig. And lets face it 1 month into the season no matter if you bought new or used you are both in the same spot, and thats with used equipment that needs maintenence and has some wear and tear on it. So from now on i buy used. Just keep an eye out for good deals and be ready to pounce on them when they come up. Even if its just a servo or rx to start, you'll need those items once you buy the rig anyhow. So its better to buy it, get a good deal rather than having the rig on your work bench and just buying parts because you want to get it running, which will cost you alot more in the end.

In other words its up to you. Do your research and homework and you can get into racing fairly cheaply compared to what others have paid
Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

im really thinking nitro but there is no where to race it in the winter up here....and ive been told its very expensive....more then electric but hhmm i dont know what to do.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

interesting poll...
the same poll u started in the electric side..... i think nitro guys are going to be heavy on the pro nitro side and visa versa

nitro is fun. the sound and smell and just knowing that there is a little gas engine in that buggy tearing it up around the track is awesome!!
i think it makes an rc car more like a real car and therefore definetely adds to the + side of things.

however its not for everyone. and im one of those its not for.
i dont have a pit guy. and i am not experienced with nitro.
i typically stop by the track on the way home from work. im alone and only have 30-60minutes before dark to drive.
with my nitro i spend half of that time trying to get my tune right. its very frustrating. i want to drive. not fiddle with my engine every 6-8min.
also, being alone, the only reason i want to walk down the driverstand stairs is because im flipped.

electric is just nice for me. i can plug in a battery and run 20-30min.
its more driving and less fiddling and for me, that makes electric a + !
Old 09-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Another example is one guy i ran into at the track. He bought a new ready to run losi 8ight 2.0 buggy for $599 at the hobbyshop we were racing at. He then stuck another $300 in hop ups just that weekend. I don't know how much he spent on the other parts (he had a new engine and i'm sure new servos), plus other stuff like a race chassis and other parts to get him to the race roller specs. So i'm guessing he had well in excess of $1200-1300 into his buggy that he just bought a month or so ago.

At the same time i bought a ready to run 8ight 2.0 buggy as a roller for $175 shipped to my door with very minimal wear. Most of the adonizing on the chassis was still intact in fact. I put a new motor in it for $60 (brand new go engine .21 7 port) and the servos were another $150. Added a spektrum sr3300t reciever for another $60. That brings my grand total to $445 for a buggy thats pretty much ready to race. Sure its not at race roller specs, and i'll spend the winter doing those upgrades a piece at a time. But still i'm left with a nearly new buggy, with high torque servos and a brand spanking new engine that will compete with the best of them for alot less money. So in the end i ended up with 2 very competitive rc's, and spent probably a few hundred less than the guy who went the expensive route with his buggy.

Thats what i call being a frugal shopper! All of which i bought either here or ebay.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

i do have a esc,charger,servo for a electric so it would be cheaper for me...i have nothing for nitro besides tools and servo...well reciever also
Old 09-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bbrace3m
im really thinking nitro but there is no where to race it in the winter up here....and ive been told its very expensive....more then electric but hhmm i dont know what to do.
I used to live in mesick, mi which is about 35 miles south of traverse city. I used to goto gaylord and grailing about 3-4 times a week for my job when i was 18 (about 14 years ago). Right now i live in norther illinois, which isn't too much different than michigan, cept in the summer its warmer and in the winter its colder. I'd have no issues running nitro in michigan if i lived there still. Sure the winter months are long but then just move to video games until the spring
Old 09-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

i do have a esc,charger,servo for a electric so it would be cheaper for me...i have nothing for nitro besides tools and servo...well reciever also
Well like i said its going to cost you money to get into something new. If you are not comfortable with it then stay electric, but if you think you are ready for a new challenge nitro is hard to beat
Old 09-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jwm2
Well if he has the time then great, but do YOU have the time and ambition to tinker? That is the real question. It does you no good to let someone else work on your stuff. Thats part of the fun with rc's. Its just about driving them, its about the journey to get them to that point that gives you the ultimate feeling of satisfaction. Its one thing to work on your kids car to get him back on track, but eventually it'll be up to you to take care of it. Expecially if you are 15, you should have a working knowledge of your own vehicle by this point. If not then just don't be opposed to learning and realize that someday very soon you'll need to do your own maintenence. I bet it would make your dad proud if one day you told him you rebuilt your own rc or fixed whatever part broke the last time you had it out
This is something maybe father and son can tinker together with. Dad can teach his son mechanics and learn what adjustments do. It's a great bonding time and time of learning. Never mind the fun.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Well like i said its going to cost you money to get into something new. If you are not comfortable with it then stay electric, but if you think you are ready for a new challenge nitro is hard to beat
im ready for a challenge but my pocket isnt....so i think nitro will have to wait a bit. and no video games. i hate video games and tv
Old 09-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
This is something maybe father and son can tinker together with. Dad can teach his son mechanics and learn what adjustments do. It's a great bonding time and time of learning. Never mind the fun.
For sure. I would be tickled pink if my daughters wanted to learn about rc nitros, but they are too busy playing barbie, ahh well
Old 09-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

im ready for a challenge but my pocket isnt....so i think nitro will have to wait a bit. and no video games. i hate video games and tv
To each their own.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

To each their own.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Living where you do. You must like snow.LOL! Didn't realize how far north of Saginaw you are.

Nitro isn't that bad. It can get over whelming if you look at it all at once. Take manageable size pieces and work from there. Read and learn. Enjoy the hobby above all else. I started off with a Nova Rossi engine. It wasn't that bad. It would be good to do your homework though. Nova Rossi has a video on youtube that show's how to tune. It would be good for you to see it.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
Living where you do. You must like snow.LOL! Didn't realize how far north of Saginaw you are.

Nitro isn't that bad. It can get over whelming if you look at it all at once. Take manageable size pieces and work from there. Read and learn. Enjoy the hobby above all else. I started off with a Nova Rossi engine. It wasn't that bad. It would be good to do your homework though. Nova Rossi has a video on youtube that show's how to tune. It would be good for you to see it.
last year sucked for snow!!!!! we barely got any
Old 09-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

It was too cold for snow last year. One night we were -53 degrees here in illinois. For an hour we were the coldest place on the planet! At least in michigan you have the lakes to bring temps up abit. Once it gets to 10 degrees and under, its too cold to snow. The air can't hold enough moisture to make it snow.

This winter we are suppose to get alot of snow, at least thats what the farmers almanac says.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.