Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remembering your first RC car!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Isn't it wierd that Tamiya had/has so many awesome cars and trucks and buggies through the years, but now you cant find one at the track! WTF?

How could they not make race vehicles? I would think if they put there touch on a true 1/8 buggy or truggy be it electric or Nitro, made for racing, it would rock!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Cannondale1974
Well, I'll be officially labeled as crazy for admitting this but I bought it off Ebay for like $5. Was pretty cool to see all the toys from back in the day. Dukes of Hazard and GI Joe had like 4 pages of toys each, good memories. I just bought a 1987 Tower Hobbies catalog too, should be here any day

Someone mentioned the "Sandmaster", I wanted one of those SO badly. I believe it's in that same 1982 catalog.

Ok, if you bought it for the memories that's perfectly exceptable..Having it for 27 years in your house....that might be a little nuts
Old 01-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Tech Addict

well heres what my first RC car was, (not the actual car pictured but the same model) Taiyo JETHOPPER either 1982 or 1983

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mpozzobon/2426034925/

8x AA's for the buggy and a 9volt for the controller, had a turbo switch on the gearbox if you ran it in torbo the batts lasted about 1/2 the time but man it made it faster

then I moved up in the world and got a hornet and I've owned so many since then I coulndn't write them all down.

So I guess it's like losing your virginity.....

no matter how many you've had you always remember your first

.....no matter how bad it was

Adrian
Old 01-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cannondale1974
Someone mentioned the "Sandmaster", I wanted one of those SO badly. I believe it's in that same 1982 catalog.
man, could you scan a picture of it and post it? i would love to see it and bring back memories. my dad had to take it apart almost daily to clean out the sand and dirt. i bet i put 500 miles on that thing.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Isn't it wierd that Tamiya had/has so many awesome cars and trucks and buggies through the years, but now you cant find one at the track! WTF?

How could they not make race vehicles? I would think if they put there touch on a true 1/8 buggy or truggy be it electric or Nitro, made for racing, it would rock!
dude have you not seen what ryan lutz is running now

http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news...p?storyid=5471
Old 01-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

hey woodchuck

just Google Kyosho sandmaster you'll be surpised at what you'll find

even links to youtube vids
Old 01-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

First real RC car... Tamiya, Hornet
Old 01-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RETRO RC
hey woodchuck

just Google Kyosho sandmaster you'll be surpised at what you'll find

even links to youtube vids
it's not the koyosho one.. reminds me of a nikko or something like it.

Last edited by jrwoodchuck; 01-22-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my first was not radio controlled but it was NITRO. it was the year 1978 and the car was a cox 55 chevy with an .049 geared to one rubber rear tire (the other three were plastic) the car was tethered to a spike and round it went. i'll never forget my first smell of nitro!!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Tamiya Grasshopper my dad gave me.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by RETRO RC
dude have you not seen what ryan lutz is running now

http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news...p?storyid=5471
Man I totally didn't know that! Is it new? I never see any adds for Tamiya racing vehicles? How long has that been out? I get all the RC mags and have never seen an ad or a write up for any Tamiya racing products. How awesome! I want one now.... Thank you
Old 01-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Man I totally didn't know that! Is it new? I never see any adds for Tamiya racing vehicles? How long has that been out? I get all the RC mags and have never seen an ad or a write up for any Tamiya racing products. How awesome! I want one now.... Thank you
Here is a thread on it and it's been in every RC mag last month and this month.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...-trf801xt.html
Old 01-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default first rc car

Wow so long ago. I had of course the nikko with the turbo option and chicken sticks. I must have used500 bucks in batteries. I sold my go cart to buy an rc10 and futaba magnum jr it was 300 bucks and that was alot for a kid who mowed lawns to have extra gas to run his go cart lol.I still remember spending like 4 days putting that dam car together with the mechanical speed control and all and taking it on its maiden drive at like 9 at night. I drove it for about a minute and through a puddle and smoked the RX. Had to wait like 2 weeks to get the radio sent in and repaired I never raced it but I did race a jrx2 at srs almost 15 yrs ago at SRS first night I won so cool. Then it was girls and hot rod cars. Its great to be back I am so glad to be painting rc cars for a living even though it is not alway a million dollar idea it is not always about the money. So wild the advancements that have taken place and now I have 3- 1/8 race cars too much fun. if it were not for that nikko and the RC10 (I have one I am restoring right now) who knows what would have happened. There is my story.any one have a jrx2 still I may be intrested in it. Darrin
Old 01-22-2009, 09:44 PM
D8
Tech Master

I remember having the sears rc car & trucks since I was a very young kid, but my first REAL rc car was the 1/10 4x4 elect Kyosho Javelin buggy, I think it was back in the 1987 then the 1/10 4x4 gas Kyosho Stinger buggy + the RC10 and the list of rc cars just keeps going thru the years..
Old 01-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mikenix
My father trade a husqvarna dirt bike for my first RC. Raced it for three seasons at the ripe ole age of 11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xPr6voO-F4

Man that video is the best I have seen on YouTube, no really!

I loved it when the guy said, " Watch how the oil filled shocks soak up even the roughest of terrain." Those cars had practically ZERO dampening!!!!!!! But I figured they must have worked way better than friction shocks, or whatever the standard was then.

My first RC? Dont really recall. I had a bunch of toy grade ones when I was young. My first hobby grade RC was a used RTR Hyper 7 PBS. Used that one for my racing learning curve and never broke a thing or DNF'd. When I started to out perform the car I bought my 777WC and gave the H7 to my 1yr younger brother. His first time to the track with it he turned the chassis plate into a banana. Now its back at my place tore apart, hanging on the shop wall. This thread has compelled me to fix it and keep it for life, since most of yall say you wish you still had your first

Last edited by NCWC; 01-22-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Misspelled Banana. Funny thing is that word cost me the 3rd grade spelling bee!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.