Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

thats cool Mike. Your probably right, bearings that fit loose on a crank are also prone to blowing more often. I was just using your case as an example for everyone else, that on the 8ight, they need more clearance
Old 02-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Hey Aaron....thought I would give some 8ight feedback.

We race up in the Northwest for a local hobby shop. The races we run are bigger races. The Northwest Championship Tour is one of the largest series in the US. The local "Mapston" race draws a lot of racers. We also do the Pro Series and travel to a few larger national races. Anyway, long story short.....our cars see a lot of "real race" track time so I feel like I can give accurate and honest feedback.

The car is simply awesome. It is tough, handles great, and is capable right out of the box. Four of us switched to the 8ight right out of the gate. None of us have had any servo issues. The driveshaft wear is minimal for the amount of time we have on them. The design aspects of the buggy are great. Very thought out. The engineering on the buggy is definatley for function not fashion!

A couple of the guys have had the shock shafts come apart. The shocks are great but take some extra care when rebuilding. Not that big of deal. The way I see it is every area of the car deserves attention. When you give your car attention and maintenance it will reward you.

Anyway.....the bugs will be worked out! Trust me. The car isn't that far off from being perfect. It is still very new in the grand scheme of things. Exceptional for a first try!

Aaron....thank you for going to battle on this forum and others everyday and providing us with a direct contact to Losi. It looks like it is a time consuming task. Thank you.

Tell Losi they did a hell of a job! I am very happy with my 8ight!

Jay Snider
Old 02-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Losi8ight, a dremal will work fine, I just use the file because I have an old AC dremal & I'm to lazy to get it out of the box & plug it in.

To everyone else, please do not take my failure notations as a complaint about the car. They are not. I never ran my K cars or prospecs for this long without some sort of failure/parts breakage. Heck when the first MBX5's came out I was breaking doubled front hinge pin supports regularly until mugen came out with newer versions of it and don't even get me started on the K cars cast knuckles.

Rich, you seem like you've been around the hobby for a while, how long have you been racing?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RBMike
Losi8ight, a dremal will work fine, I just use the file because I have an old AC dremal & I'm to lazy to get it out of the box & plug it in.

To everyone else, please do not take my failure notations as a complaint about the car. They are not. I never ran my K cars or prospecs for this long without some sort of failure/parts breakage. Heck when the first MBX5's came out I was breaking doubled front hinge pin supports regularly until mugen came out with newer versions of it and don't even get me started on the K cars cast knuckles.

Rich, you seem like you've been around the hobby for a while, how long have you been racing?
I've been around the hobby for about 8 years on and off. Actually racing for 3 years. But my mechanical understanding and over analyzing everything comes from 10 years of machining and building real race engines and wrenching and working on 2000+ Horsepower 6 second Pro Street cars.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RBMike

Cool thanks RBMike I really appriciate it alot. I am just going to use a file also way easyier and portable also you mean like a nail filer will work right. If not what kind of file are you talking about. Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Losi8ight: You need a real metal file. You can get one at any hardware store for a few bucks.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Tech Adept

Default Can I just use

Can I just use a exacto nife to trim the ends off. I just went to look at my clutch shoes and I do see them starting to wear down so I will go ahead and trim down the edges so it is level with the clutch shoe.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rwlkr
DOH! My mistake. Actually, yes, that same thing happened to me too! It's the end that goes into the center diff. I never really looked into it, as I just thought it was a case of bad luck. I replaced it and haven't had a problem since doing so.
Is ok. Anyway, when is the last time you replaced it ?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Tech Champion

Can I just use a exacto nife to trim the ends off. I just went to look at my clutch shoes and I do see them starting to wear down so I will go ahead and trim down the edges so it is level with the clutch shoe.
I used a dremel this afternoon on mine. I thought they were too worn, but when compared to the new shoes, they weren't too much thinner. I dremeld the edges smooth, and reinstalled them.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Tech Adept

Talking ok

Ok cool by any chance do you know where I can find any pictures on where to exacley smooth them out. Well now do I smooth the 2 sides left and right and the front thin part. Ok here is a picture I made see if you can explain it from here. Thank you again.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

you want to smooth down all the sides. i accually put a little angel on the left and right sides so i can wait longer between having to do it again.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

You will understand when you look at the warn shoes, There will be stuff hanging off "the right side & the left side & the front". Do not over analize this, lust pull out the old shoes & you will see what we are talking about.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jland
Got her done,
Oh and looking sweet my friend, Told ya GAS was the way to go.

Shoulda got a Mugen though im loving my 5R we should been doin this when you were over here dude. It's alot a fun

Tried callin ya but got the machine, hopefully i'll geta chance to try again tonight.....

L8rz
Old 02-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Setting up my brand new 8 and have a question on throttle servo setup:
I will be using a futaba 9451 servo on throttle, the manual says not to use the spacer, but some say to use it anyway. I have the rubber grommets on, should or shouldnt I use the spacer??/
Old 02-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Only 4 days late But UPS finally showed up with my new Maugrafix decals today! :cheers: Maurizio payed for 2 day shipping from Italy came here in a week. Just reinforces to me what clowns UPS is!

Setup Board Skin and some misc. Losi decals

2 starter box wraps for my Bight-T and 2 wraps for my 8ight buggy :applause:

Wing wraps for both my 8ight buggy and 8ight-T

All in all Maurizio did an awesome job! I'll get more pics up once I have all these decals on starter boxes and wings!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.