Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

After the beating mine took at the GORC Im thinking about getting a new body, all the traction rolls I got in the main killed it. So far the 68 camaro has worked the best for me, although I have a Cuda body sitting here unpainted. Ill probably just get the camaro again.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I fully understand the USVTA rules and because Novak helped to create the class so USVTA stands behind them.
We do this too because ORCA made a special brushless system for our Mini series.

I do see however 8 esc's that aren't novak in the rule set on the website but why aren't the hobbywing esc's listed on the PDF?
I run the Cirtix by the way.

Some people are anti manufactures and that's fine, but a motor isn't going to cause you car to burst in flames if geared right.
I had a Novak 10.5 way over geared in my SCT and all it did was stop. It was somewhere like 250F-300F......
I've never seen an on road esc flame! If plugged in backwards, (Operator error) it was just a puff of smoke.

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
After the beating mine took at the GORC Im thinking about getting a new body, all the traction rolls I got in the main killed it. So far the 68 camaro has worked the best for me, although I have a Cuda body sitting here unpainted. Ill probably just get the camaro again.
I tried the javelin, but like the Boss 302 better. To bad the front of the Boss is so weak and flimsy.
Shoo Goo and some vinyl screen made it strong though.

Last edited by chongo; 11-12-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chongo
I fully understand the USVTA rules and because Novak helped to create the class so USVTA stands behind them.
We do this too because ORCA made a special brushless system for our Mini series.

I do see however 8 esc's that aren't novak in the rule set on the website but why aren't the hobbywing esc's listed on the PDF?
I run the Cirtix by the way.

Some people are anti manufactures and that's fine, but a motor isn't going to cause you car to burst in flames if geared right.
I had a Novak 10.5 way over geared in my SCT and all it did was stop. It was somewhere like 250F-300F......
I've never seen an on road esc flame! If plugged in backwards, (Operator error) it was just a puff of smoke.

I tried the javelin, but like the Boss 302 better. To bad the front of the Boss is so weak and flimsy.
Shoo Goo and some vinyl screen made it strong though.
ive seen 3 novak escs burn a car down, and these guys had them setup up correctly and ran them for multiple races through out the year then POOF, this was in offroad mind you but still after seeing that its hard to run a novak
Old 11-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by savageboy69
ive seen 3 novak escs burn a car down, and these guys had them setup up correctly and ran them for multiple races through out the year then POOF, this was in offroad mind you but still after seeing that its hard to run a novak
Ive only seen 1 on road burn but I believe he said he found out he had some wires get together, that was a novak. Ive seen alot more in off road burn, none were Novak. Some very fierce...a 4s going up puts on a hell of a show
Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Ive only seen 1 on road burn but I believe he said he found out he had some wires get together, that was a novak. Ive seen alot more in off road burn, none were Novak. Some very fierce...a 4s going up puts on a hell of a show
yes a very bright and smokey show and i love it when the owners get pissed when you throw the car off the track, im pretty sure me throwing it is the least of the damage you have to worry bout
Old 11-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Tech Adept

I've got a question for those of you who run a Novak Ballistic 25.5 and a Novak GTB2 ESC. Has your VTA ever stalled after rolling to a stop? For some reason my VTA will not move after the car has come to a complete stop. If somebody gives it a push it will go just fine. I have already run Novak's Hall Sensor Test™ on my GTB2 and all the LEDs show that the timing sensor is working 100%. I also swapped out the sensor wire just to make sure it not a wire issue. But the car still does not move from a dead stop!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcsuicide
I've got a question for those of you who run a Novak Ballistic 25.5 and a Novak GTB2 ESC. Has your VTA ever stalled after rolling to a stop? For some reason my VTA will not move after the car has come to a complete stop. If somebody gives it a push it will go just fine. I have already run Novak's Hall Sensor Test™ on my GTB2 and all the LEDs show that the timing sensor is working 100%. I also swapped out the sensor wire just to make sure it not a wire issue. But the car still does not move from a dead stop!

Make sure your 3 timing screws arent too tight. That happened to me when I first got into it. Just literally snug them, dont tighten them. Soon as I fixed that (thanks to Darkside) All was good.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

My LRP went up in flames in off road after a hard landing!
A buddies 4s lipo went up and it was epic! Buggy was fine!
We even had flames shooting out of a nitro truggy at the clutch bell!!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Yes. I had the same thing happen to me at the USVTA Southern Nationals. I had a Ballistic 25.5 and a Speed Passion Cirtix Stock Club ESC. My VTA just would not start moving after coming to a complete stop. I replaced the Speed Passion ESC with a brand new Novak Edge ESC and the problem disappeared.

There was nothing wrong with the Ballistic motor, it was the ESC that had a problem. So my guess is that you may have something wrong with the GTB2 ESC. It could be a bad sensor input or a bad motor drive circuit.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Tech Adept

Make sure your 3 timing screws arent too tight. That happened to me when I first got into it. Just literally snug them, dont tighten them. Soon as I fixed that (thanks to Darkside) All was good.
I checked the 3 timing screws and just made them snug. The car still does not move from a dead stop. This $uck$ bad!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Yes. I had the same thing happen to me at the USVTA Southern Nationals. I had a Ballistic 25.5 and a Speed Passion Cirtix Stock Club ESC. My VTA just would not start moving after coming to a complete stop. I replaced the Speed Passion ESC with a brand new Novak Edge ESC and the problem disappeared.

There was nothing wrong with the Ballistic motor, it was the ESC that had a problem. So my guess is that you may have something wrong with the GTB2 ESC. It could be a bad sensor input or a bad motor drive circuit.
So you're saying that I should get a different ESC (maybe and Edge)? That will take some time for me to save up $100.00. Does anybody want to buy a used GTB2?
Old 11-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by robk
So how do you propose we enforce this? Not that what i think has any bearing on anything
Don't have a good answer for that. Ideally you have racers that don't try to get passed the rules. But everyone knows thats not gonna happen. It's racing. Everyone wants an edge.

BTW, My comment "regardless of what RobK or anyone else thinks" was to simply say your opinion or anyone else's wont change my opinion of the rule. If you allow it at races you run then thats up to you.

If something is in the rule book and its too difficult to police then maybe it shouldn't be in the rule book, or maybe all that is needed is to define what is acceptable use of traction compound and whats not.

And no I'm not saying the rules need to be changed. Just clarified. Someone new should be able to read the rules and have no question as to what's allowed and what's not. I had my wife read that specific rule, she doesn't race, and her thought was the same as mine.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

I checked the 3 timing screws and just made them snug. The car still does not move from a dead stop. This $uck$ bad!
I just take the screws till they stop with little pressure on the end bell then about 1/8th turn. What I had thought was "snug" before turned out to be too much and what you described is exactly what mine was doing. Put a year on it since without a single issue.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

So you're saying that I should get a different ESC (maybe and Edge)? That will take some time for me to save up $100.00. Does anybody want to buy a used GTB2?
Have you tried another motor?
Have you called Novak? Warranty maybe.

Last edited by chongo; 11-12-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

It's just my opinion. All I'm saying is that if I had to start troubleshooting a VTA motor/ESC combo, I would start looking at the ESC first. You already did the Novak Hall Sensor Test, so that rules out the timing sensor and sensor wire from being faulty. Using process of elimination, the next thing to check would be the ESC's drive output. Has your GTB2 been used to drive a modified motor? If so did the ESC overheat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.