Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 04:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello

My S411 has a push when corner exit. Does 2.5 rear toe in can help? My local track is a large high grip asphalt. The weather is hot (32 degree), the tire get overheat after a few min running afternoon. I think it could improve when driving smoothly. I want to know what Setup can make it better. Does increase droop can help?

Please forgive my poor english

Thanks

My setup
Serpent S411-s411_12may.jpg
Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

From Martin.

"I think the first thing to clarify here is that when you "reduce" the amount of spacers on the inboard upper links you are "raising" the roll center. This may seem backwards, but it is not. Often there is confusion around this, because for the lower A arm the opposite is true. ie. when you reduce the height of the lower A arm (inboard) you are lowering the roll center. This is a very important thing to understand. Not understanding this is most often what causes confusion in understanding roll center."

This is so important it has to be retated again.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by K.O.G
Hello

My S411 has a push when corner exit. Does 2.5 rear toe in can help? My local track is a large high grip asphalt. The weather is hot (32 degree), the tire get overheat after a few min running afternoon. I think it could improve when driving smoothly. I want to know what Setup can make it better. Does increase droop can help?

Thanks

My setup
Attachment 921391
I think some of the issue is the very short wheelbase in the back. Which tires are overheating, front or back or both? Is that a spec tire ? Gear diff lube seems pretty thick as well. You could also try dropping the front inner camber link.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default REVERSE TIMING NEW MOTOR

HI,

DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY INTEREST IN THESE? IM MAKING AN ORDER DIRECT FROM THEM. I HAVE HAD SOLID COMMUNICATION FROM THEM AND WANT TO SEE THESE GET USED HERE IN THE US.

http://www.redrc.net/2012/05/tianhao...shless-motors/

THEY WANT 96$US PER MOTOR SHIPPED VIA FEDEX FOR 17.5 TURN. THATS A PRICE THEY QUOTED ME FOR 4. IM THINKING IF I GET MORE THAN 4 I MIGHT GET A BETTER PRICE BUT IM NOT SURE YET. HOW MANY PEOPLE WOULD 100% WANT ONE OR MORE?

EITHER WAY IM GOING TO ORDER SEVERAL. SEND ME A PM IF YOU 100% WANT ONE AND CAN PAY FOR IT. IT WOULD COST ME AROUND 5-6$ SHIPPING TO DISTIBUTE THEM TO YOU IN HERE IN OUR COUNTRY ON TOP OF THE COST OF THE MOTORS. I AM WAITNG TO HEAR IF I ORDER MORE THAN 10-20 MOTORS IF THEY WILL REDUCE THE COST OF THE MOTORS.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve S
Isn't it possible that your lower roll centers are generating less grip because the increased roll causes more chassis rub?
absolutely if this happens due to too much roll you will have less lateral grip. I do this on purpose sometimes on very high bite carpet tracks to prevent traction rolling.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Here are my thoughts to get you more steering on corner exit.

1) lengthen your rear upper link to reduce the rear camber gain
2) use 1mm spacers under your hinge pin blocks instead of 0.4. At the front of the car put 4mm spacers under the rear hinge pin block. I think you need a higher roll center to get more overall lateral grip.
3) The front roll center might be too low with the 4mm spacers on the inboard upper link. I think 3mm or 3.5mm would give you more onpower steering.
4) if that is still not enough steering then you can try 3.5mm spacers inboard on the upper rear links. this will make the rear roll a little more and cause the rear to loose traction more easily. With the heat you have where you race, this might overheat the rear tires too much and cause a loose car by the end of the run.
5) Is that 2300cst rear diff oil you are running...if so that is probably a good thickness, but you might want to try something like 3000 cst as well given the heat you have. The thicker rear diff oil will give you more onpower steering, but will give you more off power push given your high grip track.

let us know how this works out.

Originally Posted by K.O.G
Hello

Thanks

My setup
Attachment 921391
Old 05-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I think some of the issue is the very short wheelbase in the back. Which tires are overheating, front or back or both? Is that a spec tire ? Gear diff lube seems pretty thick as well. You could also try dropping the front inner camber link.
Thanks Johnny, mostly rear tires are overheating.

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
Here are my thoughts to get you more steering on corner exit.

1) lengthen your rear upper link to reduce the rear camber gain
2) use 1mm spacers under your hinge pin blocks instead of 0.4. At the front of the car put 4mm spacers under the rear hinge pin block. I think you need a higher roll center to get more overall lateral grip.
3) The front roll center might be too low with the 4mm spacers on the inboard upper link. I think 3mm or 3.5mm would give you more onpower steering.
4) if that is still not enough steering then you can try 3.5mm spacers inboard on the upper rear links. this will make the rear roll a little more and cause the rear to loose traction more easily. With the heat you have where you race, this might overheat the rear tires too much and cause a loose car by the end of the run.
5) Is that 2300cst rear diff oil you are running...if so that is probably a good thickness, but you might want to try something like 3000 cst as well given the heat you have. The thicker rear diff oil will give you more onpower steering, but will give you more off power push given your high grip track.

let us know how this works out.
thankyou Martin, i will try it sunday.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Hey Gary,

Your name came up at a local rc meet tonight.

Whats your email?

Eugene Baker wants to say hi.

PM me or something. your PMs are off
Old 05-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

my C blade last only 5 pack with mod motor turbo esc. an idea comes out from mind. using 733 diff cup or even the new 747 uni diff cup pair with 733 drive shaft.changing pin is more cost effective for me. can somebody has both car check for me?? thanks a lot.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default S411 with R9 body

My new 17.5 boosted car.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411-s411-r9.jpg  
Old 05-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beaim
my C blade last only 5 pack with mod motor turbo esc. an idea comes out from mind. using 733 diff cup or even the new 747 uni diff cup pair with 733 drive shaft.changing pin is more cost effective for me. can somebody has both car check for me?? thanks a lot.
Blades are cheaper to replace and alot easier. that is the pleasures of running boosted MOD. if your doing heavy braking as well then they wont last as long. mine last about 2 race meets , but i always keep an eye on them after each run, a blade is cheaper than replacing outdrives. i run 3.5T Boosted, but i run alot of expo on the throttle and accel progressively so its smooth. i thnk this also makes the blades last longer, and a front diff, well they just dont wear at all. but i dont do alot of braking, so maybe thats why mine last a bit longer.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
Blades are cheaper to replace and alot easier. that is the pleasures of running boosted MOD. if your doing heavy braking as well then they wont last as long. mine last about 2 race meets , but i always keep an eye on them after each run, a blade is cheaper than replacing outdrives. i run 3.5T Boosted, but i run alot of expo on the throttle and accel progressively so its smooth. i thnk this also makes the blades last longer, and a front diff, well they just dont wear at all. but i dont do alot of braking, so maybe thats why mine last a bit longer.
I had a few practice nights on carpet before our track closed running mod motors with a front gear diff (OFNA diff locker). Out of probably 35-45 packs I broke 2 blades total. I'd say after 20 of those packs the diff had leaked just a little. With a bit of expo and the brakes turned down just enough I was able to drive waaay more consistently as compared to a spool.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Who is representing Serpent for the reedy invitational at norcal this week?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
Who is representing Serpent for the reedy invitational at norcal this week?
My buddy Martin Crisp!!!
Old 05-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
My buddy Martin Crisp!!!
Nice! I was hoping he would show up for the reedy. Be nice to him fast Freddy, I can't wait to race freedom park one day and steal some setup info for my t3 12 from you. so far I have only been there to practice.
Have fun and good luck to you both.

Last edited by rdlkgliders; 05-19-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.