Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

TRF101

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

When building the shock which piston do people use for carpet tracks? I would guess the 2 hole but I'm not really sure.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
I lock in the king pin so the groove is just visible above the top of the steering knuckle. With the e-clip on you are pre-loading the spring just a tad if you're using the spacer length called out in the manual. The manual calls out for an aluminum spacer plus one of the plastic ones' from one of the parts tree. I believe it's 4mm combined. I'll have to measure to be sure.

On asphalt (like the Tamiya track) I don't see the need to run the car lower than 4.2mm at the front. You need some decent clearance to let the front end roll some. IMO If anyone feels the need to run 3mm on carpet adding shims below the carbon top arm is no big deal and it's super easy.

I ran my F104 V2 for 3 months straight at TQ over the winter UF1 series. The car was good and still is a good car. I only have 3 weekends with the TRF101 and it's proven itself and I have yet to scratch the surface of trying stuff. Today I tried "in-line" steering VS. "trailing". Both set ups were good! Trailing however makes the car drive easier and I did not loose pace. I was able to do my fastest lap, beating it by a 100th with trailing. So both are quick, but to me trailing feels less sensitive. Some people may like sensitive.

Also, the TRF101 like the F104 V2 is sensitive to "toe" angle. You have to run some toe-out to get the car to be stable. Some of you I notice run straight to "toe-in" and your cars behave very erratic. I run between 2.0 to 2.5 degrees of toe-out.
With the shims under the axle per the manual, how much front droop does the car have?

Also, are you using the manual suggested spacers for the upper arm screws that thread into the lower plastic arm?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Had the car out on a asphalt track past couple days and the car handles great....the only issue i was having has been stated already in this thread.......everytime i was coming on to the straight it would immediately pull to the left and almost donut around ....either im applying throttle too early or i was thinking maybe i gotta look into the tension in the diff....but unsure if tightening the diff up will get rid of this problem ?....i will hit the track again this week and play around with the diff....unless im looking in the wrong place.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by theatriks
Had the car out on a asphalt track past couple days and the car handles great....the only issue i was having has been stated already in this thread.......everytime i was coming on to the straight it would immediately pull to the left and almost donut around ....either im applying throttle too early or i was thinking maybe i gotta look into the tension in the diff....but unsure if tightening the diff up will get rid of this problem ?....i will hit the track again this week and play around with the diff....unless im looking in the wrong place.
try adding alittle tension to the side springs, screw them down alittle
Old 07-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

^^^hadnt thought of that ....i will give it a try ...thanks.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Autocratic
I'm at a hair below 3.5mm in the front right now. A lot of shims. Will do some testing this weekend.

How well does the car roll in the front? Do you have the stiffening screws in or not?
Don't know if this is the same as everyones else experience, I set the front back up per manual then took the e clip out and put rubber orings in place of the two metal washers in the center of the top arm. Using gold springs in the front by the way. This set my ride height at 4.5mm using pit tires on exotech +3 wheels. For first run I loosened the top screws and the font felt a little dead and lazy in the corners, this on med. grip carpet. Tightening the screws back down made the front a little more reactive but still a little numb on corner entry. I'm hoping that if I can find a way to take a little of the castor out of the front I can gain some more turn on entry unless someone knows of a better way. Will have to try the silver springs in front but when I first put them on I had a ton of droop in the front almost like the springs were too soft.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I know someone who was there when he was running , foams, and mod, I think I heard 5.5 mentioned
I also understand he didn't have a gyro in the car and everybody else did....Good god
Old 07-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Honestly i cant say enough good things about TQRCRACING every time i order from them its shipped same day and never takes long to get to me up here in canada...love how they conduct business....even a 7 dollar piece gets to me in like 4-5 days and shipping is only a few bucks !

Anyways got these exotek twist nuts from them ....im gonna lock tight the grub screw and then just twist the aluminum caps off everytime i need to take the upper deck off....anybody doing it differently?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

I played around more with the front arm shimming. I built the car to kit up front, minus the kingpin e-clips, and found the F2 plastic bushings. They're 2mm FYI. Per the kit, I'm at 5.5mm front right height. I added 2mm shims all around and down to 3.5mm, which should be almost perfect for carpet.

Will be able to test Saturday and race in the 2nd round of the Texas EOS series on Sunday. Going to be interesting. New radio + new car should be fun.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just a heads up. Check and make sure your front wing is not rubbing the track at 3.5 ride height. Mine was diggin in hard during cornering at that height so you may need to shim the front wing up a little. Made the front tires lose traction going through a high speed sweeper and went straight into the wall at full tilt. Good thing I had a couple extra bottom arms laying around from the old 104.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by shadowracer24
Just a heads up. Check and make sure your front wing is not rubbing the track at 3.5 ride height. Mine was diggin in hard during cornering at that height so you may need to shim the front wing up a little. Made the front tires lose traction going through a high speed sweeper and went straight into the wall at full tilt. Good thing I had a couple extra bottom arms laying around from the old 104.
I'm going to be running the older 104 Pro body and wing set, which is much more narrow than the 2012 front wings. This should proabably keep me from having that issue. Never the less I'll watch out for it. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theatriks
I'd try loosening the diff 1/32 - 1/16 of a turn.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

^^^ just that little makes a difference huh....I will give that a try too .
Old 07-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I know someone who was there when he was running , foams, and mod, I think I heard 5.5 mentioned
I was there. He was using foams, with Yokomo ESC(HW3.0) and Corally 21.5T. And no Gyro...

I taped all his qualify on touring car and F1 as well.

He came back to HK for R2 race a few weeks ago. But we got a bad weather during the race day. So the race was cancalled.

I have attached is his setup and ESC setup for you guys review.
Attached Thumbnails TRF101-masami-hw3-setting.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
[email protected] (101.4 KB, 168 views)
Old 07-16-2013, 10:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Mounting ESC

Hi.

Where is the best part to install the ESC, in front near the servo or at the back near the motor?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.