Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

Well its been over a month, the clouds went away and the Sun finally came out and finally got the XXX-S to its first race meet. Was very impressed with the handling and control compared to the old TT01.

However still found the drivetrain very tight so stripped it down tonight to flush out and relube the bearings. Found that all bearings were pretty free except for the big ones that the diffs run on. These were rubber shielded bearings and I suspect were a major source of friction in the system.

So wanted to check if everyone out there still runs the original rubber shielded bearing for the diffs, or whether it would be safe for me to change over to a metal shielded one (from what I've heard these roll alot better).

Also since I've put the thing back together, found that the Losi no longer rolls smoothly. I've got the belt reasonably loose (can push it down maybe 10mm in section between rear diff and spur) and it looks like the belt progressively loosens up and then tightens up (and makes a short regular whining noise) as you push the car along.

I'm not the best mechanic so after some hints of what I might have stuffed up and look out for when I strip it down again later this week.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Tech Rookie

XXXS noob here

Hey all.

I just bought an XXXS G+ off ebay...what do i need to look out for?

Going to be using it as a partial drifter, but mainly a speed machine - to replace my ancient HPI Nitro tourer.

What breaks/wears out on these?
Old 06-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by koinonas
Found that all bearings were pretty free except for the big ones that the diffs run on. These were rubber shielded bearings and I suspect were a major source of friction in the system.

So wanted to check if everyone out there still runs the original rubber shielded bearing for the diffs, or whether it would be safe for me to change over to a metal shielded one (from what I've heard these roll alot better).
I use metal shielded diff bearings and lube them after every two to three weeks, depending on how often you run your car. As long as you keep up maintence you should be fine.

Originally Posted by koinonas
Also since I've put the thing back together, found that the Losi no longer rolls smoothly. I've got the belt reasonably loose (can push it down maybe 10mm in section between rear diff and spur) and it looks like the belt progressively loosens up and then tightens up (and makes a short regular whining noise) as you push the car along.

I'm not the best mechanic so after some hints of what I might have stuffed up and look out for when I strip it down again later this week.
If you have a motor in your car your pinion is probably too close to the spur gear. This happens to me a lot. If that's not it check your belt by both 41 tooth gears at the front and rear of the car. It may be pinched.
Good Luck Mate!!!
Old 07-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does anyone know if Trinity or ANYONE else still make the motor mount heatsinks? I'm buying TSR6's XXX-S G+'s and I also have a XXX-4 G+ (the real reason I want a heatsink. So if anyone knows it would be great.

I was going to read all the posts, but at over 400 somin pages, I'll just ask.

Jay

Last edited by pyro18t; 07-04-2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default heatsink

There's one on ebay going very cheap if your interested.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/team-losi-xxx...QQcmdZViewItem

Hope that helps.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default set up.

Also i've been setting up my car for the past year by trial and error. This is effective but can be time consuming and frustrating. Does anyone know a great all round setup that will do very well on a small indoor track with allot of corners.

Cheers Menzees.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Menzees
Also i've been setting up my car for the past year by trial and error. This is effective but can be time consuming and frustrating. Does anyone know a great all round setup that will do very well on a small indoor track with allot of corners.

Cheers Menzees.
Asphalt or carpet? I use Todd Hodge's SoCal setup from the Losi website. Here is the link. They have a bunch for carpet as well.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks but I'd like to get one new if it's possible, I guess I'm just kinda anal like that.

Jay
Old 07-06-2006, 12:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks allot, Ive heard good things about that setup, very popular in Australia.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Whats the best upgrades for this car? Does it handel pretty good? And does it even have a chanse wining any races? I just got this car so I am a noobie to electric so please dont flame me.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rclover#0000001
Whats the best upgrades for this car? Does it handel pretty good? And does it even have a chanse wining any races? I just got this car so I am a noobie to electric so please dont flame me.
It wont win any races AT ALL!!!! If you can't drive... it's all about your driving skill.

Jay
Old 07-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rclover#0000001
The one thing invaluable for the car is the black drive belt kit. A 128 tooth spur would be helpful as well. Install the low roll centers in the front and rear of the car. They also make an aluminum hardware set but I don't know who's selling them now??? Carbon fiber shock towers oh yea and don't forget to have fun.

Originally Posted by pyro18t
It wont win any races AT ALL!!!! If you can't drive... it's all about your driving skill.
My mom used to say "if you don't have anything nice to say......"well you know the rest.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks dude.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

That's not really how I ment it, what I was tring to say is that if your a bad aaaace driver then your going to be winning with alomst any car. If your not very good and hit walls all the time then more than likely your not going to place.

Do i personally think that the XXX-S is still competative? Heck yeah man!

Jay

P.S. sorry if I came off as a richard.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Its iight. I understood u anyways.... So it can still be competive eh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.