Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkseid
So I went with 114t/41t, which puts me pretty much smack on 5.00fdr.
Darkseid....I have been running just about the same FDR 114/42 with my 13.5 on a 100ft or so carpet track and its been great not too much heat in the motor with no fan or heat sink. I think I can maybe run a 44 with out any modifications...but Im not sure the car would need it or use it. Schumacher will be making smaller spur gears for the brushless motors so that will help from having to slot the motor mount to add more gear.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Wyd - One Way huh? You are banned from getting setup help until you try PW's EXACT setup No shortcuts...put it on EXACTLY as its listed
Old 05-24-2007, 06:39 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Wyd - One Way huh? You are banned from getting setup help until you try PW's EXACT setup No shortcuts...put it on EXACTLY as its listed
Damn I know I'm guilty as charged. Hey I run the EC with pretty much the exact setup you posted many of times (oh and with a one way in that setup I'm a tenth to 2 tenths faster)

I will go over the car completely tonight and tommorrow and get it reset up. Are track normally is so very high bite being indoors and all. Maybe its those Tamiya springs I use on my EC.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For the BL 13.5 and 10.5 guys we have some 98T 64P gears coming. This will let you hit the low FDR's you need with more sane sized pinions that people already have.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

wyd

are you racing at 301 i heard they change the layout for electric
Old 05-24-2007, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

For the BL 13.5 and 10.5 guys we have some 98T 64P gears coming. This will let you hit the low FDR's you need with more sane sized pinions that people already have.
i know ,im guilty i have some insane pinions!! well past 54 tooth
Old 05-24-2007, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

The idea of making it tight and letting people get it 'perfect', just doesn't fly for me. I guess I just like parts to fit right, right out of the box. Guess thats just the 'club racer' in me.
i don't disagree with your logic or expectations here. i have found these little reamers to come in very handy in the last few months. i have the following to allow for pin variance and whatnot: .1250", .1255", and .1265" you can find them here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=2431

once you've selected the right size for your hingepins, it's simply awesome. run it through, and you're done. it's actually quicker than the time it takes to trim the flashing off of a hub. i've got an old set of hex wrenches in which i replaced the tips with these reamers, so they are ready to go.

Using battery tape isn't going to be as bad as I thought.
i used to be a proponent of a good battery strap, but after switching to tape with the mi2ec, i won't go back. it looks better, is lighter, and can (not always) keep your cells from moving around. with good tape, i usually get 4-5 runs before i have to use new tape. additionally, i think it keeps the shrink in better shape over time, than a strap. the key is to make sure you press the tape to the bottom of the cells, and not just the top. that will keep them sucked down to the chassis.

I've attached a pic of my finished Mi3.
good god. that's a sweet looking build.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:02 AM
Tech Adept

You guys are having the opposite problems I had to file my EC quite a bit to get 15/89 48p gearing to fit, the 10.01 max gearing it had from the factory was not enough for a small carpet track and 5.5t brushless... Have to see what Mi3 brings, just got the package today
Old 05-24-2007, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by olev
You guys are having the opposite problems I had to file my EC quite a bit to get 15/89 48p gearing to fit, the 10.01 max gearing it had from the factory was not enough for a small carpet track and 5.5t brushless... Have to see what Mi3 brings, just got the package today
10.fdr with the 5.5?? maybe you should use the novak 5800/8.5 instead for that small track
Old 05-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Charles Godwin
Less chance of tweak in a crash.

Charles

This is mostly why we do tape regardless of weight.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:29 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
I ran one pack through it and it was pretty fast!
I can imagine!

Out at our local parking lot track, running 5.00fdr with the 13.5 feels a lot like the 19t motors we ran last year. The speed is pretty impressive. So at 4.10fdr, it must be quite...brisk!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Darkseid....I have been running just about the same FDR 114/42 with my 13.5 on a 100ft or so carpet track and its been great not too much heat in the motor with no fan or heat sink. I think I can maybe run a 44 with out any modifications...but Im not sure the car would need it or use it. Schumacher will be making smaller spur gears for the brushless motors so that will help from having to slot the motor mount to add more gear.
Well I'm running at 114t/41t because thats all I'm looking to put into it. I could easily fit a bigger pinion on, but fellow board member Core Creations and I are pretty fast as is, and we've settled in at that 4.95-5.00fdr range and have been happy with it. We've even run against people using as low as 4.3fdr, and it really hasn't hurt us to be higher.

To me, it just seems like the perfect spot for the motor. We ran that fdr a couple weeks ago outside, in 88 degree weather(100+ track temp), with no fans on our motors or speedo. We had '19t like' speed, but both the motor and speedo were coming off the track at 130-135 degrees. Can't ask for much better than that. And with the more open space on the Mi3(my other car has a tube chassis), I expect the temp on both the motor and speedo to be even lower.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Regional Moderator

I used to think that 41-42t pinions were huge, until I saw some of the pinions guys run for 13.5 in their JRX-S Type R.

Those things are like mini spur gears they're so big!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The arms didnt need to be hollowed out much at all for the hinge pin. Where I am having a huge issue is the purple brackets that you have to tighten on each side are causing the arm to bind on the hinge pin. I saw how Adrian mentioned sanding down the quik clips to get a perfect fit but it is binding soo much that it feels like I am going to have to sand at least .5mm off of the quik clip.

If I untighten each end of the hinge pin via the purple bracket everything gets much more free. Anyone else having this same problem? Starting to piss me off.

I was telling my buddy about the build and he told me that I should get some extra arms preped and ready before hand just in case. That way, I'll just be able to slap it on and go.

Makes sense, so thats what I plan on doing.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sf85
The arms didnt need to be hollowed out much at all for the hinge pin. Where I am having a huge issue is the purple brackets that you have to tighten on each side are causing the arm to bind on the hinge pin. I saw how Adrian mentioned sanding down the quik clips to get a perfect fit but it is binding soo much that it feels like I am going to have to sand at least .5mm off of the quik clip.

If I untighten each end of the hinge pin via the purple bracket everything gets much more free. Anyone else having this same problem? Starting to piss me off.
I just don't trust the clips at all IMO you take a hard hit and those things will pop off during the race, I just used pro4 shims and everything was all good except for the front left. I had to lightly sand the a-arms and it was all good. There is a overview pic of my car front suspension a few pages back using the shims, good hunting page 643 post 19283

So far good car but if the magazine's review part and finish is higher then a 8

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.