Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

I don't mind the expense of setup board that much but the expense of top level racing motors nitro fuel and tires plus the lack of different styles of bodies for 1/8 scale onroad. I think some of the ideas that some of you guys had about price limitation on motors and chassis are right on.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
I don't mind the expense of setup board that much but the expense of top level racing motors nitro fuel and tires plus the lack of different styles of bodies for 1/8 scale onroad. I think some of the ideas that some of you guys had about price limitation on motors and chassis are right on.
.thats the great part about the pan car..they are nowhere near as power/fuel hungry as a 4WD car.........a cheap 3 port motor moves them along just fine..........
Old 01-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Taylorm
.thats the great part about the pan car..they are nowhere near as power/fuel hungry as a 4WD car.........a cheap 3 port motor moves them along just fine..........
............Thats what I have heard. I just believe they need to be marketed properply with lots of different style bodies that have nice decals. If these cars are promoted with a variety bodies that llook and represent the more poupular classes of race cars I believe they would be a hit.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default pans of fun

............Thats what I have heard. I just believe they need to be marketed properply with lots of different style bodies that have nice decals. If these cars are promoted with a variety bodies that llook and represent the more poupular classes of race cars I believe they would be a hit.
you heard correct i think the most fun we had last summer was running both old and new pans. the gt or old school can am bodys look great , real crowd appeal. and if you work long hours like me the low maint. is great. hey matt any winter projects?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Pan Car Bodies

It sure would be nice to be able to as you say "market properly" by having a variety of body types and neat paint jobs.
If you have been following this thread you know we are really having a problem getting bodies. All of the P8C cars ran Motonica sedan bodies with basically "M&M's" paint jobs ;-) Rick, Joe and Matt had "vintage" Can-Am bodies on their "vintage Pan's". We are hoping to get some variety for next season but the probably need to come from Europe and are kinda expensive...

Decals are another issue. Unless you want "Motonica" there isn't much available, you pretty much have to make your own.

Last edited by aarcobra; 01-09-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 5italkart
you heard correct i think the most fun we had last summer was running both old and new pans. the gt or old school can am bodys look great , real crowd appeal. and if you work long hours like me the low maint. is great. hey matt any winter projects?
.........Just my X1 that im trying to get done before Pat's new track/shop opens.........
Old 01-10-2012, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aarcobra
It sure would be nice to be able to as you say "market properly" by having a variety of body types and neat paint jobs.
If you have been following this thread you know we are really having a problem getting bodies. All of the P8C cars ran Motonica sedan bodies with basically "M&M's" paint jobs ;-) Rick, Joe and Matt had "vintage" Can-Am bodies on their "vintage Pan's". We are hoping to get some variety for next season but the probably need to come from Europe and are kinda expensive...

Decals are another issue. Unless you want "Motonica" there isn't much available, you pretty much have to make your own.
..........I did not know you guys ran into that much of a problem with the bodies. I think you guys should make your own vaccumn former find some college kid majoring in engineering and have him make the plugs for the former and do your own bodies . Then work out deals with the companys that make the fuel and hop up products for RC cars use their trademarks, logo for decals. There is a guy called Duda Designs he makes decals.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

..........I did not know you guys ran into that much of a problem with the bodies. I think you guys should make your own vaccumn former find some college kid majoring in engineering and have him make the plugs for the former and do your own bodies . Then work out deals with the companys that make the fuel and hop up products for RC cars use their trademarks, logo for decals. There is a guy called Duda Designs he makes decals.
Making bodies sounds great, but....it's alot more complicated than it looks. Especially the 1/8th scale GT bodies we would like-they are BIG! Stickers for some things are not hard to co me by, I would like to see cars made up with "Period Correct" paint and stickers.......
Old 01-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Making bodies sounds great, but....it's alot more complicated than it looks. Especially the 1/8th scale GT bodies we would like-they are BIG! Stickers for some things are not hard to co me by, I would like to see cars made up with "Period Correct" paint and stickers.......
................... I use to be a Art Teacher and the school I was at I had access to a vacumn former. I would buy a lexan body pure plaster inside the body make a plug get some lexan sheets put the plug and the lexan sheet in the former and pull as many extra bodies as I wanted for my own personal use. The lexan was a little bit of a problem because you have to dry it out before pulling it or else you would have a bunch of bubbles in it.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

................... I use to be a Art Teacher and the school I was at I had access to a vacumn former. I would buy a lexan body pure plaster inside the body make a plug get some lexan sheets put the plug and the lexan sheet in the former and pull as many extra bodies as I wanted for my own personal use. The lexan was a little bit of a problem because you have to dry it out before pulling it or else you would have a bunch of bubbles in it.
Got any left in the attic?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

No I took it for granted and over a period of time used them all up. Since I retired I lost contact with the shop teacher who let me use the former. But my point was I believe if you guys brainstormed you could make your former and your own bodies.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default pain in the bod

No I took it for granted and over a period of time used them all up. Since I retired I lost contact with the shop teacher who let me use the former. But my point was I believe if you guys brainstormed you could make your former and your own bodies.
talked too one our customers we machine molds for. he said by the time we got good detail and nice forming we would be better of buying them. we are also in a bit of a bind for differentials sure i can make an rc300 like axle but the spurs are extinct. however i think montonca makes an old style can am bod.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Believe me we have been over and over all this stuff, there is no easy, affordable way....

Backpouring is illegal and bad form, carving molds is not practical if you want a variety of bodies, and you were lucky to have the use of a big enough vaccuum forming machine.

Bodies are avialble from DeltaPlastik in Italy (I think) and we keep talking about putting an order together, but unless you order in lots of 20pcs. the shipping will kill you.

http://www.deltaplastik.it/index.php...at2=11&cat3=16

I think the class hasta be sold on the chassis and motor, simpler and cheaper etc. I really would like to see old school bodies and will run them, but overall I don't think most people wlill go to the trouble and then there is the aero advantage of the current gross looking excuses for Sports Racing Cars... Slot car bodies 2.0, just like our founding fathers warned against.....

Last edited by aarcobra; 01-10-2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added link
Old 01-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 5italkart
talked too one our customers we machine molds for. he said by the time we got good detail and nice forming we would be better of buying them. we are also in a bit of a bind for differentials sure i can make an rc300 like axle but the spurs are extinct. however i think montonca makes an old style can am bod.
How many spurs will we go thru in a season? Do you have any CNC lathe connections? I have some design ideas for wheel adapters to use the modern wheels. Clutch parts may be an issue...
Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Backpouring is illegal and bad form, carving molds is not practical if you want a variety of bodies, and you were lucky to have the use of a big enough vaccuum forming machine.

Bodies are avialble from DeltaPlastik in Italy (I think) and we keep talking about putting an order together, but unless you order in lots of 20pcs. the shipping will kill you.

http://www.deltaplastik.it/index.php...at2=11&cat3=16

.........except thats what it looks like DELTA-PLASTIC has done.............BACKPOUR.......DOH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.