Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hmm

Originally Posted by racer034life
I just don't see it but I'll come out to the last race in Dayton, Ohio! But my experience with nitro is from 700 series helicopters! But I'll come check out the cars and the tracks
We on this end are hoping to produce a car for @ 400 that should be extremely durable and not cost diddly over the course of a year outside of plugs and fuel. While I'm confident that our build will exceed everyone elses in durability, all the points the guys raise about their rides hold true. With pan, you can use leftover 4wd tires, the maintenance is low, the run time is longer, but mostly, you're running with guys who aren't spending 500 bucks to shave .5 seconds off their lap time. I can't speak for the Mantua, the price definitely seems way out of line, and while we hope to compete economically against WRC and Moto, I have to say they've stepped up and produced an economically viable and fun alternative to 4wd. And if you shop wisely...I'm paying 25 a gallon for quality fuel (Kosmic) and running 2 buck O'Donell plugs (used two in five races), broke no servos...outside of building this car from scratch, I've spent more on entry fees and ROAR membership than I have parts. Hey, do what your heart and pocketbook tell you, but pan is the cheapest and most fun on the block, and I suspect that's why it's gaining interest and support. In a little more than a year, pan has gone from being an exclusive Toledo Ohio event to gaining more widespread interest on both sides of the continent.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taylorm
...4WD guys give you used rears for free...
I think that's the best part. It appeals to my Norwegian blood!

We haven't mentioned that the fuel costs are reduced about 30% or so. Running a carb restrictor makes the car easier to drive, reduces tire wear, and actually improves lap times for an old guy like me. It also means you can run 7+ minutes between pit stops. Not only do you save fuel, but if the main is 20 minutes long (for example), you'll eliminate one stop if you are racing with the 4WD guys. And all of your stops will be when there's no other cars in the pits, reducing the possiblility of a snafu.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (60%+)

Ok so I just watched a view videos on youtube. Ok I'm hooked this looks super fun. Ok know I'm just thinking chassis wise what to do? I like the wrc evo but its not out and I like the Mc2 but I just got a email from them and the car is 665.00 not including international shipping. Or I wanted to try the DFX premium but who carries spares.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ok so I just watched a view videos on youtube. Ok I'm hooked this looks super fun. Ok know I'm just thinking chassis wise what to do? I like the wrc evo but its not out and I like the Mc2 but I just got a email from them and the car is 665.00 not including international shipping. Or I wanted to try the DFX premium but who carries spares.
Buy a WRC Due today shipping from the US for $425, with full parts stocking in the US, and start racing!
Old 09-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi, I want to introduce my project:
I started to 'upgrade' my old SG Futura and also an actual Mantua Intrepid to 4wd to see and feel the difference compared with todays suspensioned 4wd cars.

My target is to create an easy to drive (4wd) car with a minimum of parts and setup needs. So the old style car is very close to a minimum with no need of diff and short belts.

Last summer I did a lot of runs and some races in Austria. My expirience: Easy and fun - even in races with suspensioned 4WDs - of course not that top speed, but still a similar driveline.

The Mantua Classic 4WD (like Motonicas or BP's) behaviour is very close to the suspensioned cars, because of the benefits of the setup possibilities.

Actually I am working on the next step of a minimiced car.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.
Thomas
Attached Thumbnails European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-4wd_right.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-4wd_left.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-frontaxle.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-rearaxle.jpg   European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-intrepid4wd2speed_01.jpg  

aarcobra likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TomAT
I started to 'upgrade' my old SG Futura and also an actual Mantua Intrepid to 4wd to see and feel the difference compared with todays suspensioned 4wd cars.

My target is to create an easy to drive (4wd) car with a minimum of parts and setup needs. So the old style car is very close to a minimum with no need of diff and short belts.

Last summer I did a lot of runs and some races in Austria. My expirience: Easy and fun - even in races with suspensioned 4WDs - of course not that top speed, but still a similar driveline.

The Mantua Classic 4WD (like Motonicas or BP's) behaviour is very close to the suspensioned cars, because of the benefits of the setup possibilities.

Thomas
Those are beautiful cars! I like the engine leaned forward, like one sees in karts.

I'm also interested in that clutch bell in the fourth photo. How many teeth are on it, and what is the gear pitch?
Old 09-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TomAT

Thomas
Nice Cars! Great workmanship. It's neat to see how you updated the vintage direct drive pan car rear end. Looks similar to the old Kyosho chain drive pan car of the early 80's.

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-kyo-4wd-pan.jpg

Last edited by aarcobra; 09-19-2013 at 03:05 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 09-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Some of you are already aware of this event, but I wanted to post the flyer for the 2013 ROAR Regionals (Region 1)

This race will include the 2wd Pan Car Class for the first time in many years. Thanks to the crew at the Port Jervis track for hosting the event:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...2013-a-60.html

Old 09-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

motonica has new pan for next year
Old 09-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Default Motonica P8C Extreme 2?

Originally Posted by 5italkart
motonica has new pan for next year
Is this the "new" car?

http://motonica.com/en/products/P8C-EXT-2_2
Old 09-21-2013, 04:42 AM
Tech Master

Wow !! Looks great wonder how well it handles??
Old 09-21-2013, 05:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aarcobra
That dose not look like new car its one they run now.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Default Could be...

Originally Posted by gary47
That dose not look like new car its one they run now.
We'll have to get DasMoPar to check it out. He has P8C's and an Extreme. This is called the "P8C Extreme 2" and has a different part number.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Tech Regular

Default OK

Originally Posted by aarcobra
We'll have to get DasMoPar to check it out. He has P8C's and an Extreme. This is called the "P8C Extreme 2" and has a different part number.
I've had an Extreme 2 for better then a year now. Front end is better then Extreme. Very good car but not new.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
I've had an Extreme 2 for better then a year now. Front end is better then Extreme. Very good car but not new.
i was told would be all new, hey at least companies are still moving ahead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.