Search
Like Tree130Likes

TA-05 ver.2

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goodracer
anyone ever have any tweak issues with this chassis ???
Yep, the stock chassis develops a tweak rather easily and there's no good way to correct for it that I have found.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty
Yep, the stock chassis develops a tweak rather easily and there's no good way to correct for it that I have found.
So the only thing to do is replace the chassis?

Do you just buy another regular plastic chassis, get the carbon reinforced one, or a different on [like Exotek or some such]?

My TA05 was literally ripped apart in two heats [ front suspension/wheel torn off then same thing on the rear in the next heat... rough day] and I am afraid the chassis may have been affected. I'll check for tweak but I am new at this so replacing may be a better idea. Besides, some of the screw holes have stripped so a new chassis may be a good idea.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bencason
So the only thing to do is replace the chassis?

Do you just buy another regular plastic chassis, get the carbon reinforced one, or a different on [like Exotek or some such]?

My TA05 was literally ripped apart in two heats [ front suspension/wheel torn off then same thing on the rear in the next heat... rough day] and I am afraid the chassis may have been affected. I'll check for tweak but I am new at this so replacing may be a better idea. Besides, some of the screw holes have stripped so a new chassis may be a good idea.
I would like someone else to chime in with their experiences but mine come from building two TA-05 ver.II's (a Regular kit and an "R" version) and they both tweaked. The Regular version was actually slightly tweaked the moment I assembled it, before it had ever seen pavement. This is not a "noob assembling their first car" type of issue (I have assembled about a dozen tamiya kits over the years) and it was my 2nd time assembling the same car! I was very careful during assembly, and the braces lock the tub and the bulkheads into a solid unit so i was quite amazed when I finished assembling the car and still had the issue.

I have heard good things about the carbon reinforced chassis but for all of the trouble it would be to take everything off of one tub and put it to another one just for that one to go bad I decided to go to the Exotech route and never looked back.

Another problem was weight. I use my TA-05 ver.II R for VTA and when I corner weighed the car not only was it badly tweaked but it was over 115 grams too heavy, and we are talking about a VTA car! I put the whole car on a serious diet and the Exotech upgrade was part of that.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What's the difference in a II .?? I've got one on the way for VTA but the guy didn't know what version it was. What do I need to look for?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ridepate
What's the difference in a II .?? I've got one on the way for VTA but the guy didn't know what version it was. What do I need to look for?
The geometry of the IFS system, the motor mounts and chassis are different between the TA-05 IFS and the TA-05 ver.II. Also I think the drive train ratio changed so the sprockets and belts are different as well (but i'm not 100% sure). The motor mount design is an easy way to tell the difference,

TA-05 ver.II

TA-05 IFS
Old 02-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty
The geometry of the IFS system, the motor mounts and chassis are different between the TA-05 IFS and the TA-05 ver.II. Also I think the drive train ratio changed so the sprockets and belts are different as well (but i'm not 100% sure). The motor mount design is an easy way to tell the difference,

TA-05 ver.II

TA-05 IFS
Right, the ver.2 chassis is a bit more narrow, the suspension arms are the short reversible ones(you'll see two shock mount hole on each side, while the longer arms have 2 on one side & 3 on the other), & the ver.2 uses the same inner & outer pulleys as the TRF416(37 tooth diff pulleys & 18 tooth inner ones, not sure about the first IFS cars but the OG TA05 had 36T diff pulleys & 16T inner ones, gives the ver.2 a 2.055 outdrive ratio, compared to the OG's 2.25). And there are probably a few other things, but that's all I remember off the top of my head.....
Old 02-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

as far as the tweak goes i have figured out the problem I was having and wondering if you have had this happen.

bought a used car and started to clean it up and start putting motor in and esc and ecs.......

started to put tires on it when i noticed the car rocking from coner to coner so i did some reading and had not seen any thing really on the net so i ordered the carbon reinforced chassis and swapped everything over and noticed the same thing so i started taking the screws out of the motor mount from the bottom side of the chassis and i dropped a screw and i put the chassis down and hit it by mistake and noticed that the tweak was gone so i have found that if i dont tighten the the motor mount screws really tight the chassis stays staight but the minute i start to tighten the screws the chassis starts to twist

so i have put blue loctite on the screws and left them semi tight and i have not had a problem since and yes i was using a set up board at time of check the chassis for tweak
Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

just wondering how do you tell if the chassis is tweaked without using a tweek station/board etc

I have the carbon reinforced chassis for about 3-4 months and had a fair few crashes with it (some heavy ones too) but the car still drives fine, the problem i could think off is that im using a lipo battery with no extra added weights so that could be making it unbalanced left/right
Old 02-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

When running the rear ackerman holes in the steering knuckles, do you normally need to dremel the brace? Is that tcs legal? lol.

Last edited by MikeXray; 02-20-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

this may sound like a dumb question, but does anyone have a decent pic of the TB03 aluminum steering rack setup on their chassis??

i got the parts the other day - but the little instruction sheet doesn't give directions for installing it on the v2??

another silly thing - anyone else running the rear carbon IFS shock tower? I put mine on my chassis and the rear links hit the bottom of the body posts - i guess I just reverse the posts to the back so they don't hit?!?!?
Old 02-28-2012, 01:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by k_bojar
this may sound like a dumb question, but does anyone have a decent pic of the TB03 aluminum steering rack setup on their chassis??

i got the parts the other day - but the little instruction sheet doesn't give directions for installing it on the v2??

another silly thing - anyone else running the rear carbon IFS shock tower? I put mine on my chassis and the rear links hit the bottom of the body posts - i guess I just reverse the posts to the back so they don't hit?!?!?
Hello, i am also using rear IFS shock tower and yes if you reverse the post there won't be any problem but this means "two new holes" in you body I checked my TA05V2's assebly guide and it shows how to place it did you check your's ? Also you can find assembly guide of v2 via tamiya's web page

Kind Regards
Old 02-28-2012, 04:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gunes
Hello, i am also using rear IFS shock tower and yes if you reverse the post there won't be any problem but this means "two new holes" in you body I checked my TA05V2's assebly guide and it shows how to place it did you check your's ? Also you can find assembly guide of v2 via tamiya's web page

Kind Regards
THANKS!! I thought I've seen that some place before, didn't remember where I saw it LOL

I had the V2R manual and didn't see it in there - forgot all about the 'standard' V2 manual, already had a copy of that downloaded on my PC
Old 02-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation tweeked issues!

Goodracer,
I know the stock motor mount is cast alum. and the hop-up is machined alum. so the cast alum. could be tweeked. I know some racers had this problem, some spent the money to get the machined alum. , a little pricey but worth it!
MikeXray,
I too had to grind a bit on the brace to get full throw on my steering. I hope it's legal for TCS! I will ask and let you know what i find out!
Just my 2$
Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by maxepower
Goodracer,
I know the stock motor mount is cast alum. and the hop-up is machined alum. so the cast alum. could be tweeked. I know some racers had this problem, some spent the money to get the machined alum. , a little pricey but worth it!
MikeXray,
I too had to grind a bit on the brace to get full throw on my steering. I hope it's legal for TCS! I will ask and let you know what i find out!
Just my 2$

i have the hop up motor mount and it still tweaked the chassis but i have solved my problem but thanks for the interest
Old 02-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar

I also noticed when looking for parts there seems to be a spacer set for the carbon tower.

I drove mine a little last sunday and it was traction rolling on B3s at my local track, very easy to drive, a little numb on transitions, maybe a stiffer front bar.. I have to play with the IFS shimming to see how it reacts, I'm thinking a shorter spacer on the link should act like moving the shock out on the tower?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.