TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by goehm
So this is Serpent diff with 15k, using only two gears... what sort of track is this? Clay/carpet - med/high? Thanks!
Ya I'm wondering the same thing because I'm running the Serpent diff with 7k and all 4 gears on indoor high bite clay and it has been working really good for me
Old 02-11-2016, 09:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goehm
So this is Serpent diff with 15k, using only two gears... what sort of track is this? Clay/carpet - med/high? Thanks!
Originally Posted by FPMX772
Ya I'm wondering the same thing because I'm running the Serpent diff with 7k and all 4 gears on indoor high bite clay and it has been working really good for me
Indoor clay, med/high bite. I always had an odd diff out running anything from 3-10k with the normal gear diff setup. Since I've gone to the 2 gear 15k I haven't had a single diff out and it performs very similar to the ball diff (tension wise) with the added forward bite of a gear diff.

YMMV, but its been a solid setup. I think this will be my 6th weekend on it. I pushed the car ultra hard last night and put in laps on par with the faster 4wd cars on my track. Tho the fastest 4wd guy was putting in 12.1s vs my 12.6s. I've been doing a ton of setup testing and tuning these past few weeks in prep for Cactus, and the gear diff is one of my locked in settings.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I tested my 3.0 at last nights club race with the four gear transmission. I arrived late so I had limited practice. Immediately I noticed the car had significantly more corner entry steering. I moved front shocks to middle hole on tower and this helped smooth out the car but I still had a faster car. Approx. 0.2 to 0.4 secs faster per lap. I'm currently running long arm in the front and may go back to short arm to compare. Local track is very small and tight so corner speed is a must. The car had bit more on power push that will be easy to fix.

If anyone is considering the four gear I recommend it.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bobby Z
I tested my 3.0 at last nights club race with the four gear transmission. I arrived late so I had limited practice. Immediately I noticed the car had significantly more corner entry steering. I moved front shocks to middle hole on tower and this helped smooth out the car but I still had a faster car. Approx. 0.2 to 0.4 secs faster per lap. I'm currently running long arm in the front and may go back to short arm to compare. Local track is very small and tight so corner speed is a must. The car had bit more on power push that will be easy to fix.

your track must be low bite, anything from medium bite and up, most prefer the 3 gear.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i cant get the gear diff to run smooth. i have tried shims, taking it apart and putting it back, i cant get it nice.

When i manually turn the wheel, i dont get the opposite turn of the other. it just turns the motor.

if i take the gear diff out, it does spin opposite and smoothly.

any help at this point it appreciated.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vinny Cancilla
your track must be low bite, anything from medium bite and up, most prefer the 3 gear.
He is the only person I have heard of having tried the 4-gear. On power grip has been a shortcoming of my setup at times so I'm interested in hearing more input on the 4-gear.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Track is low to medium bite. Most are using super soft or ultra soft tires. And to be honest I found the 4 gear to give more steering on corner entry but did help with traction on corner exit.

Many have tried the 4 gear already so I thought I was late to the party in trying it. 😳 It's a relatively inexpensive option part to have at your disposal.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Davidka
He is the only person I have heard of having tried the 4-gear. On power grip has been a shortcoming of my setup at times so I'm interested in hearing more input on the 4-gear.
It should help. Also try less anti squat.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

How many posts before i can post pics of my build!?
Old 02-13-2016, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBMaster
Indoor clay, med/high bite. I always had an odd diff out running anything from 3-10k with the normal gear diff setup. Since I've gone to the 2 gear 15k I haven't had a single diff out and it performs very similar to the ball diff (tension wise) with the added forward bite of a gear diff.

YMMV, but its been a solid setup. I think this will be my 6th weekend on it. I pushed the car ultra hard last night and put in laps on par with the faster 4wd cars on my track. Tho the fastest 4wd guy was putting in 12.1s vs my 12.6s. I've been doing a ton of setup testing and tuning these past few weeks in prep for Cactus, and the gear diff is one of my locked in settings.
Great - thanks for the information. I'm gonna give it a whirl!
Old 02-13-2016, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had the pleasure of receiving a TLR 22 3.0 today from several friends hooking me up with it. I was completely shocked and suprised for sure. I turned the most laps racing offroad in awhile with it. So far must say loving the drive and how smooth it feels. Once I get the driver hiccups taking care of this thing will be a beast. Glad to get back in a Losi product. Just debating on wether or not to take it to bed with me lol.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bobby Z

It's worth trying the option to try for yourself. I have it on the 22 3.0 as well. More forward bite.

Not necessarily. Tebo ran 4 gear style in Dec 2015 at JC Nats at Hobby Plex, and also at the Jan 2016 CRCRC Midwest champs in his RB6. Both tracks had plenty of high bite using clay based compound tires, Chainlinks and Electrons respectively.

Originally Posted by Davidka
JR Mitch of TLR also runs 4 gear on his 22 3.0. Tebo runs it in his RB6 as mentioned above.

While we are on the 4 gear topic, of interest is the Cactus Classis 2wd Mod A-2 race last year. Ty Tessman ran 4-gear in his 2wd, while rest of the field seemed to have 3-gear in their 2wd. Ty had full command of the race the entire time, and control.

Ty was simply untouchable with his 4-gear HB 2wd buggy winning the overall 2wd mod event. The 2015 Cactus Classis was a super high bite sugared track!

I found a video link of the event. It seemed like the 3-gear box cars (including Cavalieri's) had trouble clearing or timing the middle long triple section in the middle of the track with the 3-gear, but Ty's 4-gearbox 2wd cleared it every time with ease and plenty of forward traction no problem, and handled rest of track sections very well. He was way out front with his 4-gear 2wd then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHvEcVHEbFw

Last edited by 4wd Racer; 02-13-2016 at 10:11 PM. Reason: added video link
Old 02-13-2016, 10:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Last edited by Matt M.; 03-11-2017 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Anyone try the exotec steering yet? Is there less slop?
Old 02-14-2016, 04:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Alot of guys at my track run the 3.0 car, myself included. But my car is just a little loose. So I'm gonna try the 4 gear. But man I love the feel of the 3 gear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.