TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 06:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I like a nice/free car -- the only place I can't seem to get free (with a little filing) is in the front end -- the caster blocks w/shoulder screw. I'm assuming the binding is coming from the shoulder screw, rubbing inside the arm, since this is where it pivots (since the screw threads into the actual caster block itself). I do back off the screws about a 1/2-3/4 turn.

I could polish it to try to remove some of the coating -- any suggestions?

Last edited by skrichter; 12-02-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skrichter
I like a nice/free car -- the only place I can't seem to get free (with a little filing) is in the front end -- the caster blocks w/shoulder screw. I'm assuming the binding is coming from the shoulder screw, rubbing inside the arm, since this is where it pivots (since the screw threads into the actual caster block itself).

This threw me off as well at first. Just loosen the screws until you have free movement. You'll still have a little drag from the plastic on plastic, but it's good to go at that point!
Old 12-02-2015, 07:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedBMaster
This threw me off as well at first. Just loosen the screws until you have free movement. You'll still have a little drag from the plastic on plastic, but it's good to go at that point!
Updated my first post. I do back them off 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. I'm assuming it either needs to be polished or just wait for it to break in a bit.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 155 (99%+)

Updated my first post. I do back them off 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. I'm assuming it either needs to be polished or just wait for it to break in a bit.
I got my kit together and that's about the only spot there was any drag. My maiden voyage is tonight and before I started polishing or trying to take any material off, i figured I'd run it 5-6 packs and see if it frees up. If not then I will try and remove a touch of material.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 358 (100%+)

For clay track with 180 turns should I go with short or long VLA? ?
Old 12-02-2015, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

I like a nice/free car -- the only place I can't seem to get free (with a little filing) is in the front end -- the caster blocks w/shoulder screw. I'm assuming the binding is coming from the shoulder screw, rubbing inside the arm, since this is where it pivots (since the screw threads into the actual caster block itself). I do back off the screws about a 1/2-3/4 turn.

With the tolerances there and cutting threads without a machine, it can be hard to get those darn screws in perfectly straight. One side of mine was slightly bound and the other was free. So, I got lucky once, lol. I did pull the shocks off after the first night and now both sides are perfectly free. Just my thoughts on this though...
Old 12-02-2015, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PIHGUAM1
I've been racing and building rc cars for more then 20 years. First buggy was a Losi JR Pro SE.

Here is my take on screws threading into LOSI plastic or any plastic part for that matter. When you are cutting new threads with a metal screw you are creating a lot of heat from the resistance. Ever touched a screw right after you thread it in for the first time? It gets pretty hot. Now think about how hot the plastic is getting from that screw...and what happens to plastic when it gets hot....it becomes soft and wants to melt. So by cinching your screws all the way down while cutting new threads, you will end up stripping the plastic nearly every time.

So the secret is this, thread your screws in about 75 to 80% and stop. Do this to the majority of the screws as you build. Then after the screw and the plastic cools down, slowly and lightly tighten the screw down until it just cinches tight. Do not add that extra turn to see if it is tight. After your first couple of runs you can go back and check if anything feels loose.

Trust me I learned this the hard way with my first few builds. But since I adopted this method, I have not had much in way of plastics stripping out during the build.

Now this is not to say that there are some places where very short screws that hold parts together will easily strip. Just have to be gentle and patient, then some times use a longer screw.

Hope this helps with your future builds.
I do this with all TLR vehicles. It takes on average an hour more to finish a kit doing this, but its not stripped. Why would you want to rush through this process anyways?
Old 12-02-2015, 08:57 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

It is really important that these kingpin screws are aligned straight to make sure they are free from the start. If you get off a little, you might have a slight bind for a couple of packs. It will free up quickly.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just got confirmation my was shipped out today and looking forward to the build on Monday. Frank will the aluminum front hinge block from the 2.0 fit this car? I kinda like the feel of that little bit of front weight plus the security of durability. I'm bad about attacking corners really hard.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:33 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shadowracer24
Just got confirmation my was shipped out today and looking forward to the build on Monday. Frank will the aluminum front hinge block from the 2.0 fit this car? I kinda like the feel of that little bit of front weight plus the security of durability. I'm bad about attacking corners really hard.
Yes, it will fit just fine.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Default Body Choices

What body choices do we have now and what's in the pipeline?
Old 12-02-2015, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

lol ... I just called them to figure out why I don't have a tracking number.
She looked up both orders I'm waiting for and said Fed Ex Ground on Friday.
It's just because I'm a new account I guess.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

New to TLR but is part #TLR332002 useable in mod or is that a stock racing specific part? Thanks.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GettinLapped
New to TLR but is part #TLR332002 useable in mod or is that a stock racing specific part? Thanks.
IMO, you don't need anything aluminum drivetrain wise for mod. I wouldn't use them in mod. They should hold up fine but its just not needed.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GettinLapped
I wouldn't run aluminum driveshafts in a modified car. It's primarily a stock racing thing to keep rotating weight down and acceleration speed up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.