BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
OK Jason (and assorted sages).

Here's what's bugging me.

When siting components on the chassis we do so with balance devices to get the side-to-side balance equal. Pretty much every chassis has balance holes at the front lip and the rear edge of the rear pod.

MY quandry is that I really think we should be balancing the main chassis plate and everything on it IRRESPECTIVE of the rear pod and it's symetric attachments to the main plate. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that the rear pod should be as balanced as possible but my belief is that:

a) the rear pod balance is what it is, really, other than adding weight we have not say in it other than to change motor brand/type

b) regardless it's balance (or lack thereof) it is sitting flat supported by the straight axle we are limited to by rule.

I'm thinking I should be balancing the chassis main plate and it's components by itself since it is, essentially supported by the front wheels via the suspension there and the rear pivot. To do so I'll add a hole to my main chassis plate ahead of the pivot screw to accept my balance buttons.

Really I should be able to do this without the components on the centerline (shock, antenna/mount, battery brace) OR the symetric stuff (front suspension, side wings, hockey sticks, pivots, etc. If this works I should be able to take the main plate with the servo, servo-saver and linkage attached then balance it out with my receiver, esc and related components (caps, diodes, etc). THEN assemble the rest of the car around this.

If I'm clearly goofy please feel free to point this out but be sure to explain why. I've been puzzling on this for a while now and just can't see how I'm mistaken.

Thanks,

Scottrik
Too much snow in Montana?
Old 12-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
OK Jason (and assorted sages).

Here's what's bugging me.

When siting components on the chassis we do so with balance devices to get the side-to-side balance equal. Pretty much every chassis has balance holes at the front lip and the rear edge of the rear pod.

MY quandry is that I really think we should be balancing the main chassis plate and everything on it IRRESPECTIVE of the rear pod and it's symetric attachments to the main plate. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that the rear pod should be as balanced as possible but my belief is that:

a) the rear pod balance is what it is, really, other than adding weight we have not say in it other than to change motor brand/type

b) regardless it's balance (or lack thereof) it is sitting flat supported by the straight axle we are limited to by rule.

I'm thinking I should be balancing the chassis main plate and it's components by itself since it is, essentially supported by the front wheels via the suspension there and the rear pivot. To do so I'll add a hole to my main chassis plate ahead of the pivot screw to accept my balance buttons.

Really I should be able to do this without the components on the centerline (shock, antenna/mount, battery brace) OR the symetric stuff (front suspension, side wings, hockey sticks, pivots, etc. If this works I should be able to take the main plate with the servo, servo-saver and linkage attached then balance it out with my receiver, esc and related components (caps, diodes, etc). THEN assemble the rest of the car around this.

If I'm clearly goofy please feel free to point this out but be sure to explain why. I've been puzzling on this for a while now and just can't see how I'm mistaken.

Thanks,

Scottrik
That is correct but you need to take into consideration the motor wires also. Once they are all soldered in, they can effect the balance of the car drasticly with brushless gear. When i am using brushed gear i dont bother with balancing with the motor in due to having less wire. I just use the furthest rear hole for the battery locator plate as my new reference hole.

Breathe buddy, breathe.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3

Breathe buddy, breathe.
This is a phrase that you will be mumbling during my "fumigation" process at the Birds
Old 12-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Lord

oh damn. Im in trouble
Old 12-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
Hey guys,

I just got word that the BMI T shirts will be delivered tommorow and will be ready for sale. I will get them on the website this week. They are real nice. Printed front and back
Price?
Old 12-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Tech Lord

I believe they are going to be $15.99. They really are cool and have cool graphics on them. I will post a pic tommorow of them and i will be putting a pic on the website. My wife was so nice to agree to wear it for the web pic.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Hey Jason, how's that Speed Passion powered DB12R looking?
Old 12-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by abailey21
Hey Jason, how's that Speed Passion powered DB12R looking?

If it's in Marcos car it would look like this.............................................. ......
Attached Thumbnails BMI's DB12R-images.jpg  
Old 12-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kropy
If it's in Marcos car it would look like this.............................................. ......
man kropy you must have a $ard on for me or something, you just have to keep mentioning my name if you want to ask me out to dinner just say so
Old 12-28-2007, 08:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

That's cute an RC Tech match made in heaven
Old 12-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abailey21
That's cute an RC Tech match made in heaven
Old 12-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
man kropy you must have a $ard on for me or something, you just have to keep mentioning my name if you want to ask me out to dinner just say so
I just want to see if you can live up to that "Living Legend" myth that I've been hearing about....LOL

hmmmmmmmmm Dinner sounds nice, It's a shame you'll be in Maui
Old 12-28-2007, 09:06 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Living he is......legend....thats debatable
Old 12-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Tech Champion

jaybro, you guys open on monday?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason
jaybro, you guys open on monday?
From 7:30am to Noon Eastern Time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.