Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 01:19 AM
zxt
Tech Regular

Default How big the diiference bet the 2?

Also I have sway bars, full ball bearings, aluminum motor mounts...how does my 03 compare to a DJ? Does the carbon chassis, aluminum shocks and narrow belt does a lot?

thanks...
Old 10-18-2001, 03:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Only thing that I see that you would need is the narrow belt and belt tensioner and you can race it like that. I would install a torque-splitter when you get a chance. I run two torque-splitter one in the front and rear. This is similair to what what other top racer are running but one disadvantage is that you do not have rear brakes I would advise anyone to only run this set-up on a fast track.
Old 10-18-2001, 07:42 AM
zxt
Tech Regular

Default Huh?

Hows that? I know if u install torque splitter aka oneways in front then you wont have break in front...what if you install front and rear? You'll just lose the break in rear? and have breaks in front? but you also have one ways in front right? Hows that?

also I forget to tell you that I have oneways in front and abelt tensioner too...isn't the belt tensioner stock?

whats the use of narrow belt anyways? less friction?

Thanks again...
Old 10-18-2001, 07:57 AM
Tech Regular

With a one-way in the front and rear you will not have brakes at all. You are correct the narrow belt helps to reduce friction.
Old 10-18-2001, 08:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've got a RS with full bearings, torque splitter, but tub chassis. How much better a car will a DJ be if I were to convert my RS into a 03F by changing the chassis to a 03F tub chassis and using the narrow belt? How will the cars performance be affected with th use of a carbon chassis and a tub chassis?

Wouldn't I not save a bundle if I were to get the plastic tub, narrow belt, gears, (shocks.. I've got those alloy ones already)? What sort of performance advantage will I gain? I know that that DJ comes with alot of light weight stuff, do they help make the car faster?
Old 10-18-2001, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

I have never raced the 03 RS version. Its the shorter version of the 03 corrected. I did race the 02SW and that car turn in quicker but you are limited to one type of body. I would leave the RS alone and just practice your race set-up. If you race on a lot of tracks with short straights this is the car to have.
Old 10-18-2001, 08:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

I've not race much with the RS. Only recently I've converted my FS to a RS just for the fun of it. Since, it's shorter, it does turn in quicker. However, competing with those larger wheelbase cars like the F, it was a tad slower. Also, the lack of short wheel base body shells to quite annoying. I think I'll try bodies with hatchback soon. How do I make up for the lack of speed?

What's the difference between a 24mm wheel and 26mm wheel? If I go with a 26mm wheel, won't I make up for the lack of speed, but reduce in acceleration?
Old 10-18-2001, 10:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Ivan
I've not race much with the RS. Only recently I've converted my FS to a RS just for the fun of it. Since, it's shorter, it does turn in quicker. However, competing with those larger wheelbase cars like the F, it was a tad slower. Also, the lack of short wheel base body shells to quite annoying. I think I'll try bodies with hatchback soon. How do I make up for the lack of speed?

What's the difference between a 24mm wheel and 26mm wheel? If I go with a 26mm wheel, won't I make up for the lack of speed, but reduce in acceleration?
24mm is norrower than 26 mm therefore lighter and less friction, they are all the same radius therefore max speed will not change much but acceleration should be a tad slower with 26mm setup.
Old 10-19-2001, 05:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Why then do ppl use 26mm? More traction?
Old 10-20-2001, 07:21 AM
Tech Initiate

lets see if this works...
Attached Thumbnails Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!-tao3.jpg  
Old 10-20-2001, 07:49 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Ivan
Why then do ppl use 26mm? More traction?
ppl rarely use 26mm for electric touring in the recent years, mostly nitro guys use them, nitro cars are heavier and the race is longer therefore need more tires, also added traction won't slow them down because they have plenty of torque. too much traction for electric will scrub off speed and waste the power.
Old 10-20-2001, 09:00 AM
zxt
Tech Regular

Default nice wheels manuel

where did u get those?

Also is that a regular 03 with carbon chassis or was that a 03DJ?
Old 10-20-2001, 12:36 PM
Tech Adept

Hey ZXT, they are Integy wheels. I have the same ones on my ta03rTRF. Mine are white. Here:
Attached Thumbnails Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!-tamiya3.jpg  
Old 10-20-2001, 04:32 PM
Tech Initiate

The chrome ones are packaged as Laser rims, we get them over here with Eagle tyres and inserts, A$30 for a pair

Oh ye, and its a regular 03f with:

frp chassis
ball bearings
tamiya swaybars
aluminium counter shafts
reinforced drive belt
lightweight drive shafts
fantom 11x3; or atlas 23xsomething(hehe)
motor heatsink
cross hub carriers
cross front gearbox supports
cross cf damper stays (not in pic)
custom aluminium servo mounts

esc is a MTroniks DigiSprint with custom heatsink (which cost $1 as opposed to $25 for a hobby shop one)

there must be more i've left out, I know it would have been cheaper to get the pro or the DJ but this way its been more fun, and im only a basher...

Last edited by Manuel; 10-20-2001 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2001, 07:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Does anyone have any experience with the RS? How does it compare with the F and R versions? Is it worth getting the RS FRP chassis, or should I just stick with my tub chassis?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.