Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree13Likes

Murnan Modified Motors

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here is some data from my best driver. His name is Sean Grier. He will be traveling to some of your races this year. Here are some facts about his equipment.

Driver: Sean Grier
Engine: MM Kangaroo 09 Drag mod
Car: Eric Johnson Pro Mod Direct Drive single speed

This car has done 1.61 ET
85 MPH
6 foot time .266
50% Nitro
Mac boat pipe

Maybe I can post some tickets if I can get them from him. Who knows.

You are correct, you have to have a really good car to do these times.

I have actually heard of some stock engines going in the 1.6's.

We have not gone 1.5 with this class yet, but I am sure we will in 2010. The 1.5's I spoke about came from rails.

Who is the person who did the 1.604 who holds the record in Promod?

Originally Posted by Brent Davis
Grinder,

I race here in Maryland at Budds Creek. In fact I live about 10 minutes from 301 Raceway and have seen you guys out there but that is not my interest of racing although I like to just watch. We also race in Richmond, Va. and in North Carolina under the IMDRA.com series of RC drag racing. ALL racers show what engines that they use and the most engine used is the Kangaroo, Xenon "R" & ALPHA, 35+21 and some old C5's.

I wasn't asking at all about your internal mods as that would be stupid to even ask. What I was wondering was simply do you have any drag racers using that MMM modded engine and did they provide to you any data on it's performance. I understand the not marking engine blocks and heads as well but I will say that the 2009 IMDRA Champions used RBmods for the Funny Car/Pro-Mod championship using a Kangaroo and Cordoba, Nitrodynamics took the Top Fuel Championship using a Kangaroo and RBmods took the 2.0 index class with a .18 TZ. Litespeed engineering also provided some serious motors that ran track record ET's but car problems kept them out of the winners circle. There were some guys that had some MMM motors and they said that they simply took the engines off their 1/8th scale cars and like you said, they coulda had the mack daddy drag mod and didn't want us/others to know.

We are 132' drag racers ONLY and use 50-60% nitro on 5-8% oil range. I can care less about fuel milage as it just needs to go from A to B as quick as it can. The record for my Pro-Mod class is 1.604 seconds @84 MPH from a stand still to 132'. THAT is flying and we ALL are trying to be the first to go 1.5's. Basically I am interested in a MMM engine but wanted feedback as well.

Hoboshop, I wouldn't bet anything until it has proven itself. I cannot tell you how many times we have heard such promises/bets that never hold true. It aint all in the motor that makes a great pass, you know that.

Here's my Pro-Mod that uses dual turbo plugs.....one hot and one cold.

Even built and tried a boat engine
Old 01-20-2010, 06:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by staikosn1

Has to be damn fast... how the hell you control that thing?
The tweak, and wheely bar must be on point! It's hard to make them go straight!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OutlawIGT2
Grinder,

I am in the market NOW for a Drag Race engine to upgrade from my P9R this season. I see on your site you offer the 35+21 and the Kangaroo BOTH for $799 w/ceramics, but the regular mod Kangaroo is $100 less.

Can you give more information on how these two engines compare/tested from strictly a drag race 132' comparison?

Your 35+21 says it is the ultimate, the fastest, but the Kangaroo says it's shown to run 1.5-1.6, some of the lowest times I have heard Also, what pipe set do you suggest for these two drag mod engines. Thank You

Murnan Modified Novarossi 35+21 Drag Race $799.00
This is the ultimate engine to go 132 FT the fastest. Offers the most torque of any .21 engine.

Murnan Modified S21WCS09 Drag Mod
[MMR1DRAG] $799.00
This engine has insane bottom end. This engine has been shown with the right car, pipe and driver to run in the 1.5-1.6 second range to 132 feet.
Hi. Both of these engines will run similar times. The 35+21 needs to be geared a little shorter, as it comes on hard at half track to the end. The R1 comes on hard to half track, and then flattens out a little compared to the 35+21. Sean uses a Mac 1120 boat pipe with both engines.

The 35+21 has more peak torque, and HP than the R1. It is just harder to harness the 35+21 power due to peaks happening higher in the powerband compared to the R1.

The comparable cost increase on the R1 vs 35+21 is due to the R1 coming with a steel rear bearing. The 35+21 comes with a ceramic that I can sell as spare parts.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Brent Davis
also, since this engine has been "SHOWN" to run in the 1.5-1.6 range, what chassis was this? A Top Fuel, Pro-Mod, Funny car?

I'm with OutlawIGT2 since we both race 132' drag race series FOR REAL. No tire kickers here, just wanting and needing a few answers to help make a engine builder choice in hopes of having an added edge in the nitro HP wars.
The info above should answer this. We are FOR REAL too.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Great runs from Sean Grier but you know how all that goes when there's no timeslips to show. Even though there has been a claim to run that quick, where was it done at? If it wasn't at an IMDRA event, then it is just wash simply because you do have a minumum weight to go by and a single speed EJ chassis is very HARD on engines since they are basically taking off in 2nd gear. In IMDRA, that 1.61@85 MPH with a EJ chassis aint even been heard of but he may have done it at another sanctioning event. IMO, "IF" I had ran that quick, it would be posted simply because there are hardly many guys at all that run even 1.70's let alone 1.6 anything so why he hasn't posted or anybody else seen/heard of his pass is beyond me. Good job if he did though.

The 1.604 was done in the Texas heat las year by an Australian named Todd. He was number one while his friend Brendan was number 2 quailifier at 1.62 both using 35 pluses. The Pro-Mod class is sooooo competitive that it aint funny. Everybody is looking for that edge in HP and I must say that 85 MPH is a very, very strong running motor.

LOL, based on what you see in my pics shows that "I AM FOR REAL TOO"!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Grinder
Hi. Both of these engines will run similar times.
This I agree 100000% with. A friend of mine has a Kangaroo '09 and a 35+21 and has been 1.64@84 MPH with the Kangaroo and a 1.65@81 with the 35+21. He indeed had to gear the 35+21 to 16/20 46/42 to run like the Kangaroo did but with 17/21 47/43 gearing plus the 'roo put down more MPH EVERYTIME. I like the larger ports on the 'roo over the smaller 9 ports of the 35+21 but you are correct that they are so similar in ET's. I do notice the 'roo pull out the whole like a raped ape and the 35+ comes on stronger on the top end charge.

MMM, thanks for your input and data. The one thing that I know FOR SURE is that around here, you've got the on-road scene on lock down PERIOD. I figured with that kind of success that you had to have a great drag mod that would work as well.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Grinder,
Seen on your site you have the Novarossi #30003, but I was told that was for a .21 so do you have any of the .12 INS Box Filters?

Like the Novarossi #30004 or RB #01291-6 ...
Old 01-21-2010, 04:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by c1 racin
Grinder,
Seen on your site you have the Novarossi #30003, but I was told that was for a .21 so do you have any of the .12 INS Box Filters?

Like the Novarossi #30004 or RB #01291-6 ...
Yes. I have both INS boxes. They are listed under pipes, and accessories.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:27 AM
Tech Regular

Grinder when you think you will start to modifie RB T9M3 (if you name it like that)??
Old 01-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Grinder when you think you will start to modifie RB T9M3 (if you name it like that)??
The RBT9 is available on the website now.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Thats the modified or the M3 with 7min runtime.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Thats the modified or the M3 with 7min runtime.
Modified.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Brent, I understand your skepticism. There are a lot of motor builders out there with wild claims and poor work, but Uriah is NOT one of them. Now I know very little about drag racing but one thing I do know is motors. I build my own for the most part but have seen and used his work as well. It is all top notch.

As for the price, I've been in to quite a few of his motors and both the quality and quantity of his work is worth it. I don't think I would want to build such a motor and sell it for less myself. It wouldn't be worth my time.

And there is one more thing you get with Murnan. He stands by his products. While I don't normally run his motors, many of my friends do. Whenever they have a problem, Uriah takes care of it.

Now will any of this lead to world record drag runs? I have no idea, I'm not a drag racer but the work is as good as it gets. There MIGHT be someone out there that builds faster motors (again MIGHT) but there is no one that does better quality work.

And again, I say this as a quasi-competitor (I only do motor work for myself and a few friends), not a team driver or customer.

P.S. Let me know when you guys are running Richmond. I might have to come watch.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Uriah,

Can you compare the M3 and Modified T9? What are the differences between them?

Thanks,
Old 01-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by wingracer
Brent, I understand your skepticism. There are a lot of motor builders out there with wild claims and poor work, but Uriah is NOT one of them.
I fully understand as well and hope that I am not starting anything negative. I just saw the $250 for the drag mod and was wondering what all came with that which I know the engine mods do but what else for that? I know NOTHING about modding engines but all other modders for us drag racers charge at most $150 for an all out engine so you get my point.

I admire how well the MMM engines run as like I said, I live a few minutes from 301 Raceway which is currently closed until it re-opens and Chris Whitney & crew from the C. Whits hobby shop ran MMM motors and I saw the FLY on the track. I have no reason otherwise to believe that the MMM engines wouldn't run well in a drag race seeing the small blocks and .21's run 30-45 minute mains without sweating and again, THEY FLY.

Who knows, I just may take a chance with one of the MMM engines to see for myself

MMM, thanks for your input as well. I tried calling the number on the site but you must be very busy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.