Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

How helpful will the oneway diff be for the TC4? I am assembling mine right now, and I'm thinking about putting a one-way in. Is there a big advantage to using it? What about for carpet racing? Thanks guys.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Low bite tracks = Diff
Foam tire Carpet = Diff

High bite Tracks = Oneway or spool.
Rubber Tire Carpet = Oneway

You get more steering off power with a oneway beacause the front tires wont have to waste some of their grip slowing the car, all of the available traction can be used to change direction. You get more steering on power because the inside front tire is the tire driving the car off the corner.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What exactly did you do to the TC4 rack to tighten it up?
The steering rack isn't all that hard to "tighten up" - I used a single super-thin shim underneath each of the button-head screws that face upward and bind the pivot posts to the rack itself. I don't know the exact size/measurements of these shims, but they were packaged by Calandra... they offer a lot of nice shim kits (just get one of each of every kit they make, then you'll be set) that will really help you out with the TC3/TC4 and any 1/12th scale car you may have.

You could also file/sand the height of those little posts, but that's a little riskier - you don't want to go too far!

I used a single black shim (the ones used in the transmission and out on the hub carriers) between the top hex-head and the ball bearing on the main posts that mount the whole rack to the car. You should have a couple of those left over from building the kit. ...or maybe not, can't remember if they give you extras. I had extras because I also used a lot of the Calandra thinner shims to perfectly space out the transmission shafts, as opposed to only using the black shims provided with the kit.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

I still having problems with the TC4 guys.
I posted 1 page back of my problem.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 11-12-2004, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

Swap CVD's, front to back. See if it goes away.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Well my front Cvd's are freshly rebuilt with new bearinds. I took them off the car and they are extremely free. Now I jsut bought the front steel diff. Could it be that in any way?

I'll try swapping front and rear diffs.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 11-12-2004, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

Have you shimmed your steering rack?
Old 11-12-2004, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

Yes, my steering rack is shimmed properly with little no to play. The epa on my radio is set correctly also.

The problem seems to go away after I turn the epa all the way down to 45% though. But this provides me with like no turning.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:39 AM
Tech Adept

When you say shimmed properly do you mean shimmed as the manual or with added shims to reduce play?

I played with some shimming and when I got it really tight the reuslt was the screw heads touching the input shaft when in full lock.....

have a look...

HTH

Andy
Old 11-12-2004, 06:43 AM
Tech Regular

Hey Paul did you put grease on the cvd joint? If you did they was slow down the drive train if you trun the wire and spin it with out the tires. I use to put alot of grease on my and mine did the same thing. No longer grease my cvd and they don't seems to wear any sooner.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Andy, I added shims where Stogie posted a few posts back.

The part of the rack that the turnbuckle goes on his the black hex shaped thing that holds in the bottom screw that goes underneath the chassis.

I dont think this would affect the car in any way.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Ok, I've been working two days on this problem and so far I have no progress.

I've narrowed the noise down to this: When I turn the front wheels, the cvd inside the hub carriers seems to bind. It isnt the cross pin that holds in the the axle and the cvd. It seems like its the cvd hitting against the (black) axle. Could this be even possible? Im gonna try a different pair of cvd's from my tc3 and see what happens.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default IRS Dogbones

Anyone running the IRS Dogbones on their car? I have a pair and was wondering if anyone has used them. And if so, should I run them in the front or rear?? I have a front one-way in my car.

Any help would be helpful.

Chirag
Old 11-12-2004, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

run them up front. That's what I do w/ mine because I run the IRS spool w/ the pin cushions.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Paul_TC4
Ok, I've been working two days on this problem and so far I have no progress.

I've narrowed the noise down to this: When I turn the front wheels, the cvd inside the hub carriers seems to bind. It isnt the cross pin that holds in the the axle and the cvd. It seems like its the cvd hitting against the (black) axle. Could this be even possible? Im gonna try a different pair of cvd's from my tc3 and see what happens.
Paul, I had that happen too. You have to trim your radio to limit the steering throw. Your wheels are turning too far

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.