Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i would get a titanium screw set
Old 12-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

hey guys what grade sandpaper do you use to sand the edges of the chassis. just wondering cause i usually do it with 600 but it takes forever thanx
Old 12-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

I collected a complete set of aluminum screws and compared them with the weight of steel screws that come with the 12R kit. Net savings...12 grams. Less than 1/12 ounce. Titanium will save a little weight from the steel but will still be heavier than the aluminum screws.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Uga
So I want to lighten up my car a bit, I want to get aluminium screw set, so which one would fit best for the DB12RR - AE or CRC? Or maybe is there a better option than those 2?
One of my local dealers sells an aluminum screw kit for the car. i will contact him for you
Old 12-27-2008, 08:43 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
I collected a complete set of aluminum screws and compared them with the weight of steel screws that come with the 12R kit. Net savings...12 grams. Less than 1/12 ounce. Titanium will save a little weight from the steel but will still be heavier than the aluminum screws.

I did the same, but with a few of each screws and extrapolated out... the weight savings wasnt worth the headache of stripped and busted screws.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xtrememadness
hey guys what grade sandpaper do you use to sand the edges of the chassis. just wondering cause i usually do it with 600 but it takes forever thanx
I did mine with 400 grit sandpaper. Just sanded enough to dull the sharp edge of the chassis down. At first glance, it doesn't look like much, but you can feel the difference with the tip of your finger.

Gotta question. I'm well aware of how silly small of a tire I can run on the DB12RR, but how small is too small? Seems like the rears go below 1.700 things start to get a little unpredictable.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey Chris,

The smallest I ran mine where 1.58" to 1.60 front to about a 1.68 rear On my car. My car ran fine, you just have to let the traction soak in a little longer. A larger Dia tire will hold traction longer than a smaller Dia tire. I just think you went too heavy in the dampner tubes.

Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague
I did mine with 400 grit sandpaper. Just sanded enough to dull the sharp edge of the chassis down. At first glance, it doesn't look like much, but you can feel the difference with the tip of your finger.

Gotta question. I'm well aware of how silly small of a tire I can run on the DB12RR, but how small is too small? Seems like the rears go below 1.700 things start to get a little unpredictable.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

I'll try letting them soak longer. Gotta mount up a new set for next week any way. These things r worn out ( maybe 1.62?) See you at the track.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default flex plates

What does mounting the "flex plates" using the longer position (12rr car) as opposed to the standard position (12r car). How will this effect the handling of the car.

I updated my 12r to the 12rr version
Old 12-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey Twin 1 Kevin,

The Longer Flex Plates mellows the car out they work great on high bite tracks.
Hope this helps.
Mike

Originally Posted by Twin 1 Kevin
What does mounting the "flex plates" using the longer position (12rr car) as opposed to the standard position (12r car). How will this effect the handling of the car.

I updated my 12r to the 12rr version
Old 12-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Mike.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

thanx spraydbysprague time to get sanding yeah things get a little hairy at the end of a run with small tires if you dont have enough traction compound on em
Old 12-28-2008, 01:08 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So I truly busted the first parts on my DB12RR today.

THe track I race at has a long sweeper after a 50+ ft straight. We are running 17.5/4 cell. I was running fast lap times for the first qualifier and lost composure (either I did or the car did) and hit the far wall in the sweeper pretty hard, snapping both flex plates.

So I figured "oh well - live and learn" So I went and replaced the busted flex plates since I had a spare set.

Went back out for the second heat - once again setting fast laps for the day (improved on my earlier fast lap by .2 sec)... and this time to pass someone who was hugging the line but was far slower than me around the sweeper I went inside and just barely nicked the inside corner and it cause the car to lose ballance and head into the same wall as before - this time it not only snapped both flex plates but also popped the pivot off in the center of the chassis. No other damage - but my day was over as I am out of flex plates.

The weird thing is.. this track has been setup like this for 3 weeks and I have run 3 weekends now, and a bunch of practice and never busted a part before... just a bad luck day. (and just starting to realize how expensive the flex plates are)

An order has been placed at BMI - now all I can do is hope they come in soon

Last edited by Clegg; 12-28-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Uga
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Clegg

THe track I race at has a long sweeper after a 50+ ft straight. We are running 17.5/4 cell. I was running fast lap times for the first qualifier and lost composure (either I did or the car did) and hit the far wall in the sweeper pretty hard, snapping both flex plates.

So I figured "oh well - live and learn" So I went and replaced the busted flex plates since I had a spare set.

Went back out for the second heat - once again setting fast laps for the day (improved on my earlier fast lap by .2 sec)... and this time to pass someone who was hugging the line but was far slower than me around the sweeper I went inside and just barely nicked the inside corner and it cause the car to lose ballance and head into the same wall as before - this time it not only snapped both flex plates but also popped the pivot off in the center of the chassis. No other damage - but my day was over as I am out of flex plates.

The weird thing is.. this track has been setup like this for 3 weeks and I have run 3 weekends now, and a bunch of practice and never busted a part before... just a bad luck day. (and just starting to realize how expensive the flex plates are)

Wow, that's really bad luck! I've been driving the car for 1.5 years now with 5.5 modified and had numerous bad crashes and I have not broken a single link bar, the only damage over this time has been a broken side wing, 2 battery locators and bent both front upper arm hinge pins.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Clegg

Someone I know had the same problem, and he was the only guy breaking flex plates. Turned out he was doing the set screw up to tight so that the pivot ball couldn't move freely, next time he fitted new flex plates he loosened off the set screw just enough so that the pivot ball moved around freely and without slop, he's never broken one since.

HTH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.