Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2923Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
I think I may not understand how pod droop is measured, then. When you say 1mm of pod droop, you'd be setting that with shock length (so inside spacers or turning the end eyelet), but where do you measure that 1mm? At the center of the car, so the front of the pod?

You measure pod droop with the chassis horizontal and then the most lower part at the rear of the pod

Off power the car definitely steers better, and if I stay off power and let it slow down, it then suddenly has a ton of steering. It's a visible change in behavior as the front seems to "catch" and turn the car in.

As i said, use heavier centre spring to get it to be more steady

I'm using the defacto Savox 1251mg, which I believe has a .09 speed. I don't use expo and I don't change the servo speed, full endpoints but my dual rate is down to around 70s or 80s depending on the layout.

Don't know what radio you use but turn servo speed down a bit

The front springs are the stock, pretty soft ones. Using Pit 571/572 tires, with 1.5* of camber up front and a 10* caster plate. The tires seem to make full contact, but I'm wondering if I have the camber/caster combination right, as the SP-1 was designed around foam tires.
Go up a springload like to .020

Normally i run all my F1 or WGT cars with a TC shock as they have more oil in them and work way better.
Also i change rearpod droop by lenghtening or shorten the ballcup on the shock , not by running more preload

Regards Roy

Last edited by Pro10noob; 02-02-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Spotted at the ETS... Pics are up on Red RC gallery. New Ride F1 tyres and wheels

http://www.thard.co.uk/?p=44
Nice...
Old 02-02-2014, 03:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

my Tamiya F103 Ferrari F189 Nigel Mansell F1 car
Old 02-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Thumbs up

2014 F1 Pics from the first testing session.
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-image.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

The side profiles of the 2014 F1 cars are really nice.

Glad to see the lower nose look back in F1. Once the nose rule is adjusted we should start have some really all round beautiful looking modern F1 cars.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F1Racing@SMA
The side profiles of the 2014 F1 cars are really nice.

Glad to see the lower nose look back in F1. Once the nose rule is adjusted we should start have some really all round beautiful looking modern F1 cars.
Agreed, the profiles look very promising, until they turn to the front. Definitely need to change something.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madjack
2014 F1 Pics from the first testing session.
Just doesn't feel right without Lotus. I hope they survive the season and many more. Not looking good for them after 2014
Old 02-02-2014, 11:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KrackerG
my Tamiya F103 Ferrari F189 Nigel Mansell F1 car
Looks great! Most of those kits you have are collectable.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:00 AM
Tech Champion

Think of it in relation to wheel rotation. Hold your car flat in the palm of your hand not letting the pod move and blip the throttle. The nose comes up. Nail the brakes. The nose goes down. To smooth that out you need to have the center shock built right. How much pack? More slows piston response: smaller holes, less holes and or heavier oil. How much rebound in the shock? There should not be any rebound at ride height, front and rear pod level. Ideally it should be zero rebound. The weight of the oil and holes in the piston in relation to the spring weight over the distance traveled determines the rebound rate of the system (the speed at which it returns to level). One item you haven't mentioned is sag. That is the amount the chassis and pod joint lower to under load. Not enough and you lose weight transfer forward during deceleration or braking. Too stiff of a spring, too much pack or a shock not built right will put that weight transfer right back on you rear wheels as sag is rebounding too quickly. Of all of this, the rebound is most important. Too much of any weight oil will turn that center shock into a pogo stick. Your car will accelerate great and lose front traction the second you let off the throttle.

I think I may not understand how pod droop is measured, then. When you say 1mm of pod droop, you'd be setting that with shock length (so inside spacers or turning the end eyelet), but where do you measure that 1mm? At the center of the car, so the front of the pod?

Off power the car definitely steers better, and if I stay off power and let it slow down, it then suddenly has a ton of steering. It's a visible change in behavior as the front seems to "catch" and turn the car in.

I'm using the defacto Savox 1251mg, which I believe has a .09 speed. I don't use expo and I don't change the servo speed, full endpoints but my dual rate is down to around 70s or 80s depending on the layout.

The front springs are the stock, pretty soft ones. Using Pit 571/572 tires, with 1.5* of camber up front and a 10* caster plate. The tires seem to make full contact, but I'm wondering if I have the camber/caster combination right, as the SP-1 was designed around foam tires.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Think of it in relation to wheel rotation. Hold your car flat in the palm of your hand not letting the pod move and blip the throttle. The nose comes up. Nail the brakes. The nose goes down. To smooth that out you need to have the center shock built right. How much pack? More slows piston response: smaller holes, less holes and or heavier oil. How much rebound in the shock? There should not be any rebound at ride height, front and rear pod level. Ideally it should be zero rebound. The weight of the oil and holes in the piston in relation to the spring weight over the distance traveled determines the rebound rate of the system (the speed at which it returns to level). One item you haven't mentioned is sag. That is the amount the chassis and pod joint lower to under load. Not enough and you lose weight transfer forward during deceleration or braking. Too stiff of a spring, too much pack or a shock not built right will put that weight transfer right back on you rear wheels as sag is rebounding too quickly. Of all of this, the rebound is most important. Too much of any weight oil will turn that center shock into a pogo stick. Your car will accelerate great and lose front traction the second you let off the throttle.
I think sag is what I was asking about earlier when I was trying to figure out what the ride height should be in the middle, so front of the pod. Right now I have about .5mm of sag.

The SP shock is basically a TC shock, and a decent one at that. I drilled the top and built it dead, so no rebound, using the stock piston and 35wt oil. The stock sprig is pretty soft, much softer then the Spec-R 2.5, which was the softest TC spring I had.

The pan car tuning guide says:

------------
SPRING
LIGHTER - more rear traction and better control on bumpy tracks. much
off power steering, little on power steering (less spinouts coming out
of the corner
STIFFER - less rear traction. much on-power mid-out steering, little
off power steering
OIL
Controls the front to rear grip bias.
LIGHER - balance to rear (more rear traction)
HEAVIER - balance to front (more front traction/steering).
------------

So, that's why I went all the way up to the 3.0 Spec-R spring, but I haven't touched the oil yet. The guide doesn't say anything about sag, though.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Does any know what f1 this is
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-image.jpg  
Old 02-03-2014, 03:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Page 666! The Apocalypse is upon us :P
Old 02-03-2014, 05:41 AM
Tech Champion

Try going back to the stock spring and going heavier on the oil? I'd only go to a stiffer spring from the kit if traction was really high. Everything else from your settings sounds really good. You might want to try some harder front springs and make sure you have front droop (less preload) a little higher. I know that sounds backwards, but it will help keep the transfer weight forward and keep the unloaded tire on the track.

I think sag is what I was asking about earlier when I was trying to figure out what the ride height should be in the middle, so front of the pod. Right now I have about .5mm of sag.

The SP shock is basically a TC shock, and a decent one at that. I drilled the top and built it dead, so no rebound, using the stock piston and 35wt oil. The stock sprig is pretty soft, much softer then the Spec-R 2.5, which was the softest TC spring I had.

The pan car tuning guide says:

------------
SPRING
LIGHTER - more rear traction and better control on bumpy tracks. much
off power steering, little on power steering (less spinouts coming out
of the corner
STIFFER - less rear traction. much on-power mid-out steering, little
off power steering
OIL
Controls the front to rear grip bias.
LIGHER - balance to rear (more rear traction)
HEAVIER - balance to front (more front traction/steering).
------------

So, that's why I went all the way up to the 3.0 Spec-R spring, but I haven't touched the oil yet. The guide doesn't say anything about sag, though.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

@Dan200487, nope. Looks pretty interesting, though.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dan200487
Does any know what f1 this is
That chassis is made by Cross its called the 2008 fire fox. It was the chassis they developed after the original cf-01. Have never seen it race though. You can find it at www.rc-cross.jp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.