Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eddie10
Can someone steer me in the right direction. im looking for a FDR for 17.5 and 13.5, big track with 115ft straight
I would start with the following and monitor your motor temp.

17.5 - 3.5

13.5 - 4.5
Old 02-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Kraig
Springs easy to forget. There should be a FAQ between the cars because this question almost always comes up every other week.
Sorry Kraig .. I wasnt suggesting you were lazy ... I was suggesting the original questioner should have made just a teensy bit more effort to look it up rather than relying on thoroughly good blokes like yourself!!!

And me
Old 02-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by treemagnet
hey everyone

just wondering if many ppl have Tamiya TRF shocks on their TC5s?? i hear bout how good they are so thinking bout putting on mine??
thoughts??

thanks treemagnet
i know several ppl using trf shocks they seem to work for them i use tc3 shocks they dont leak at all compared to the tc5 shocks
Old 02-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by islander360
I would start with the following and monitor your motor temp.

17.5 - 3.5

13.5 - 4.5
Is the general rule of thumb...lower FDR(3-5) for large tracks and higher FDR(6-9) for small tracks? I am trying to figure it out for a very small track...
Old 02-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Josh,
Well I got myself a TC5r, had the TC5 with a itf top plate, and tried out your set up ( trackside ).
Well I won two of three heats and tq.
Racing happened in the A main, but I did end up second. Also it has been a while since I tq.
The car was very fast and consistent. It was not loose at all.

I found with your spacer change from 1 mm to .8 etc. I made a goof that Scottrik pointed out. I went with 3.5 mm, the old spacer measurement, to match the 3.4 mm. That is how come it was loose. It did not have the toe needed for the rear.

Thanks for all you guys taking your time and helping us all out.
Thanks Josh H.
God Bless
Old 02-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by getpip
Sorry Kraig .. I wasnt suggesting you were lazy ... I was suggesting the original questioner should have made just a teensy bit more effort to look it up rather than relying on thoroughly good blokes like yourself!!!

And me
Not a problem at all. Sometimes people don't know even when when looking at it. So no worries at all.

You should hear some of the questions I ask Josh.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

I've got the Orion 3800 30c lipo's with the Specialized RC battery tray. PPD weight tray is on the way.

The problem I'm seeing is that there is about 1.5mm play in the battery side-to side and top to bottom. I assume/hope the PPD tray will take the play out of the vertical but what are people using to take out the play in the horizontal direction?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

I am an off roader and am getting into TC racing. I have now and in the past been an associated guy. No one at the two tracks I have been to has a
TC5R and get scowls when I mention it. I have seen Cyclones, 416s, X-Rays and just wanted to go to the horses mouth and ask.

How does the TC5R stack up against these other more expensive cars?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:59 AM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The TC5 is just as capable as any other car out there. Really all the cars are pretty equal. It all comes down to the skill of the driver. When they scowl at you, you can wave the wad of cash you have left over at them and drive on by.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by balistic
I am an off roader and am getting into TC racing. I have now and in the past been an associated guy. No one at the two tracks I have been to has a
TC5R and get scowls when I mention it. I have seen Cyclones, 416s, X-Rays and just wanted to go to the horses mouth and ask.

Can't answer that one as I run foam/carpet and holding it's own on the rug for me... but have to ask if your avatar is from JenningsGP? I see your in CA but that track looks more like Jennings than willowsprings or anything out west.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

It performs great for me. It's easy to work on and parts are easy to get. It's all personal preference. You might be getting the scowl because there were some quality control issues in the beginning such as holes in bulkheads not being tapped, turnbuckles not being threaded, etc; but AE made good on everything and their customer service was great.

There are a couple things that you should correct with the car from the beginning (steering slop, ream out the arms, etc.) but those are pretty minor.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by speedsterblade
Can't answer that one as I run foam/carpet and holding it's own on the rug for me... but have to ask if your avatar is from JenningsGP? I see your in CA but that track looks more like Jennings than willowsprings or anything out west.
That is a great spot, it is North Florida. I work for the California Superbike school maintaining the fleet so I get occation to tear some tires up at tracks all around the country.

It also means I get to RC all around the country durring the summer.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Personally, I think the TC5 is one of the more frustrating cars to work on. I run mod and 13.5, so I have to change the pinion, spur and motor. To change the spur, you have to take out 9 screws plus the 3 in the spur. Because I have to take the top deck off, I must also put my antenna back in with each spur swap. The Xray 009 is only 4 screws, the Yokomo BD is only 2, and I believe the Cyclone is only 4. For the most part, the pinion has to be changed by taking out the motor bulkhead as the belt is in the way. In mod this is not the case because usually the pinions are small enough to fit between the belt.

Other than these above issues that I have with the car, the rest is just peachy. I find that its a very easy car to tune, with a wide sweet spot. Of course, this all depends on your setup ability.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Addict

That is a great spot, it is North Florida. I work for the California Superbike school maintaining the fleet so I get occation to tear some tires up at tracks all around the country.

It also means I get to RC all around the country durring the summer.
Nice, that job rocks! JGP was were it started for me.. I knew some of those brake & apex markers were fimilar. Old Ed B. schooled me. raced wera & ccs for 3 years... Not enough $ to keep it going so got back in to RC'n.

sorry for thread jackn'. ..and I do have a TC5 related question... TIR parts in the states or realiable place in the UK to get cvds & layshaft? the stock ones at full lock..we'll most know...
Old 02-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=rezenclowd3;5408761]Personally, I think the TC5 is one of the more frustrating cars to work on. I run mod and 13.5, so I have to change the pinion, spur and motor. To change the spur,

I believe the Cyclone is only 4.

QUOTE]

I bought a used Cyclone and it is 6 in the plate and two in the motor.

I have been racing Associated's exclusivly with the exception of a Slash and living in so cal and having a simular background as Mr Lett I was already leaning twords the TC5R. I just like or know the way they put stuff togeather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.