Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
mac853 - It seems while all others are excited, you always have something negative to say... Here's a bit of detail - We have tested a lot of different plastics for the car. I have used the same ball cups since the Novak Race (Jan 01) in foam tire modified and 10.5 with little wear, not a single one poping off from impact or breaking. Also, I was in a super hard crash at the 4th Grand Slam event and broke the inner hinge pin and cracked the plastic hinge pin mount but did no damage to the suspension arm, castor block and steering block. Compared to the impact (with a car then a concrete wall) I'd say the parts broken or damaged were minimal. The foam car will come with titanium turnbuckles and the rubber car will come with aluminum ones (I am pretty sure on all this). The aluminum ones have been run and tested by the TOP drivers in HK and I am sure the quality will be very good. Don't doubt... We have put a lot of effort into this car to ensure that the materials and quality would exceed even our own expectations. The main credit on this goes to Vincent who has spent countless hours sourcing materials to make this car up to par with the best in the world. You will see.
why the rubber spec allu and the foam spec titanium turnbuckles?
why not both the same?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
mac853 - It seems while all others are excited, you always have something negative to say... Here's a bit of detail - We have tested a lot of different plastics for the car. I have used the same ball cups since the Novak Race (Jan 01) in foam tire modified and 10.5 with little wear, not a single one poping off from impact or breaking. Also, I was in a super hard crash at the 4th Grand Slam event and broke the inner hinge pin and cracked the plastic hinge pin mount but did no damage to the suspension arm, castor block and steering block. Compared to the impact (with a car then a concrete wall) I'd say the parts broken or damaged were minimal. The foam car will come with titanium turnbuckles and the rubber car will come with aluminum ones (I am pretty sure on all this). The aluminum ones have been run and tested by the TOP drivers in HK and I am sure the quality will be very good. Don't doubt... We have put a lot of effort into this car to ensure that the materials and quality would exceed even our own expectations. The main credit on this goes to Vincent who has spent countless hours sourcing materials to make this car up to par with the best in the world. You will see.
Nope, off course i am not saying negative issues just for criticizing, mainly for asking to have more knowledge.
You have to forgive me to have strong bad memories with my good design but bad quality material Xpress, serious.
Off course the design is interesting and updated, but since Yamazaki-san took out the design and making, then let me to doubt about the quality remaining of these new TOP.
About the HK drivers, last time i ask of somebody of TOP bring Blue car, was just photos sent by my friend which was also in the race, that's why i asking like this, i thought TOP haven't enough time to making own car to be small factory then the drivers using the chassis of other brands.
I am just really asking questions just for making research to choosing my new chassis, then nothing more.

Thanks for your answer.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mac853
Nope, off course i am not saying negative issues just for criticizing, mainly for asking to have more knowledge.
You have to forgive me to have strong bad memories with my good design but bad quality material Xpress, serious.
Off course the design is interesting and updated, but since Yamazaki-san took out the design and making, then let me to doubt about the quality remaining of these new TOP.
About the HK drivers, last time i ask of somebody of TOP bring Blue car, was just photos sent by my friend which was also in the race, that's why i asking like this, i thought TOP haven't enough time to making own car to be small factory then the drivers using the chassis of other brands.
I am just really asking questions just for making research to choosing my new chassis, then nothing more.

Thanks for your answer.
I drive now more than 1 year TOP and i don't understand what you are talking about. Never hath big problems. started with the original axles and changed to the V2 ones.
Afgter that the allu parts added and i have no problems any more.
When i see a mi3 and see how much top plates they bracke and howmanny other parts like bulheads that bend shock towers that brake and more. than i can't talk about a car that has problems. my car is compared to the new xray, mi3 aspecialy the TRF416 a strong an d good car.
I have seen broken top plates by the xray. TRF416 was after a crash ready for the trashcan.
My TOP made big crashes but it still runs grade and is not tweaked.

When you want to complain aboud the quality buy a Tamiya or something.

I made a chose between Xray, Hotbodies and a TOP. i have chosen TOP. I find this the best driving car at the moment.

The Tamiya brakes fast but is designed for racers. Xrays are strong and designed for racers and club drivers.
When i see the Photon and i'm an engineer, than i see a trong and good designed car.
The first thing a saw were the arms and the uprights. they made me smile to see that they were designed so they can handle some crashes.
Just look at the car.

Josh next time work a bit harder so it's earlier ready for production
Old 03-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Thanks for your answer.
Josh mentioned earlier that a few HK drivers have their TOP cars anodized tamiya blue..
Old 03-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mikky32
I drive now more than 1 year TOP and i don't understand what you are talking about. Never hath big problems. started with the original axles and changed to the V2 ones.
Afgter that the allu parts added and i have no problems any more.
When i see a mi3 and see how much top plates they bracke and howmanny other parts like bulheads that bend shock towers that brake and more. than i can't talk about a car that has problems. my car is compared to the new xray, mi3 aspecialy the TRF416 a strong an d good car.
I have seen broken top plates by the xray. TRF416 was after a crash ready for the trashcan.
My TOP made big crashes but it still runs grade and is not tweaked.

When you want to complain aboud the quality buy a Tamiya or something.

I made a chose between Xray, Hotbodies and a TOP. i have chosen TOP. I find this the best driving car at the moment.

The Tamiya brakes fast but is designed for racers. Xrays are strong and designed for racers and club drivers.
When i see the Photon and i'm an engineer, than i see a trong and good designed car.
The first thing a saw were the arms and the uprights. they made me smile to see that they were designed so they can handle some crashes.
Just look at the car.

Josh next time work a bit harder so it's earlier ready for production
But you are meaning the Scythe, not upcoming Photon.
TOP racing make me feel actually is so much different than before, since the kind is not from Japan anymore, so let me to have the curiosity if they are remaining the quality.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

But you are meaning the Scythe, not upcoming Photon.
TOP racing make me feel actually is so much different than before, since the kind is not from Japan anymore, so let me to have the curiosity if they are remaining the quality.
look ad the design of the new car and you see that it's only made better than it is now.
the scythe was good but the new top will be better as i see the design.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Josh u have a pm...
Old 03-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Addict

No one will argue this economic down turn has not been good for anyone. However, it has helped the production of the Photon in some ways.

One thing TOP has become very good at is sourcing. Sourcing materials for the car started before the economic slump, since then TOP has been able to negotiate better pricing using better quality materials. Factories are struggling and are willing to negotiate for business.

Josh has been around the industry for a long time and even he is very happy with the final product.

I am not at all saying our quality is better then anything on the market, but it is definitely comparable to the best of them. When you hold a photon arm or caster block in your hands you just know that good quality materials were used in manufacturing.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
No one will argue this economic down turn has not been good for anyone. However, it has helped the production of the Photon in some ways.

One thing TOP has become very good at is sourcing. Sourcing materials for the car started before the economic slump, since then TOP has been able to negotiate better pricing using better quality materials. Factories are struggling and are willing to negotiate for business.

Josh has been around the industry for a long time and even he is very happy with the final product.

I am not at all saying our quality is better then anything on the market, but it is definitely comparable to the best of them. When you hold a photon arm or caster block in your hands you just know that good quality materials were used in manufacturing.

Sounds great. I'm pretty interested for the release date, and lately I've been thinking how this could be my next car.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans

One thing TOP has become very good at is sourcing. Sourcing materials for the car started before the economic slump, since then TOP has been able to negotiate better pricing using better quality materials. Factories are struggling and are willing to negotiate for business...
Sounds great EJ. So it will be more affordable as well? Sweet!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

To answer your question about aluminum and Ti turnbuckles,
the more weight you can pull out of the moving suspension components
the more traction you can possible make. Indoor racing you may op to use the Ti parts for durability but I won't doubt that the aluminum ones will hold up except in the most severe impacts.

Hope that helps,
James
Old 03-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JamesReilly
To answer your question about aluminum and Ti turnbuckles,
the more weight you can pull out of the moving suspension components
the more traction you can possible make. Indoor racing you may op to use the Ti parts for durability but I won't doubt that the aluminum ones will hold up except in the most severe impacts.

Hope that helps,
James
Ok thanks. I'm using now allu ones and they work well.
We have a hard side and no curbstones on the track. so it's good to hear they are from allu.
can always put the Ti. on them.
Hope the color is red or black.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

so when is the car be release?
when can we buy 1??
Old 03-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

What size range spur gears can we expect to see for this car. Will it accept other brand gears without fitment voo-doo?

Also what is the IDR of the car?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

IDR will be 2.0

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.