Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default T3 2012 setup

Hi Paul,

I see on the setup sheet for the 2012 that they list either 1 pce or 2 pce rear mount option, wondering if you have had the chance to try this and what did it do for the car handling?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Dear Paul..

I was going to start assembling my latest RX8 for the winter nats. Should I build the new car, or should I hold off a bit longer in hope that the up date will be here in time for the winter nats?

Thanks

ThE DasMopar!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Hi Paul,

I see on the setup sheet for the 2012 that they list either 1 pce or 2 pce rear mount option, wondering if you have had the chance to try this and what did it do for the car handling?
Hi. I have tried both, i cant say that i really noticed a big difference. since i couldn't feel much i will base it off of theory and say that the 2 piece mount will give you a hair more rear traction. Thanks

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
Dear Paul..

I was going to start assembling my latest RX8 for the winter nats. Should I build the new car, or should I hold off a bit longer in hope that the up date will be here in time for the winter nats?

Thanks

ThE DasMopar!

Hi Lon. update?, apparently you already know more than me lol. i have been in electric mode for a while. sorry i cant help.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Paul just wanted to say it was fun to see Chase in his first race. It was really cool to see all your family and extended Trackside family there to give him support and cheer him on.

I hope that you and Chase are able to enjoy the hobby together like Jason and I do.

See you again soon, Keith.

PS, could you please post the link to the "Ask Chase Lemieux, Traxxas Slash" thread.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi Paul
Got a question for you. I have a T2007 with a Exotek chassis for lipos( I know ancient)
Anyway my question is what all can I change on the car to optimize what it is short of buying a new car which I can't afford right now. I only race 2 times a month on a large med to high grip carpet track. So I know practice will get me farther than anything. If you can give me some general suggestions that would be great. Thanks
Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by kghills
Paul just wanted to say it was fun to see Chase in his first race. It was really cool to see all your family and extended Trackside family there to give him support and cheer him on.

I hope that you and Chase are able to enjoy the hobby together like Jason and I do.

See you again soon, Keith.

PS, could you please post the link to the "Ask Chase Lemieux, Traxxas Slash" thread.
Hi Kieth. Thanks, it was really cool to watch him get up their and race. It brings a new outlook to the hobby for me again which is great. Chases thread coming shortly LOL.

See ya soon,

Originally Posted by smokefan
Hi Paul
Got a question for you. I have a T2007 with a Exotek chassis for lipos( I know ancient)
Anyway my question is what all can I change on the car to optimize what it is short of buying a new car which I can't afford right now. I only race 2 times a month on a large med to high grip carpet track. So I know practice will get me farther than anything. If you can give me some general suggestions that would be great. Thanks

Hi. i don't think that you will have a problem getting your car to handle well. You are going to want to analyse every part on the car to make sure its age is not going to hurt you, look for tewaks, bent screws, hinge pins, in general for things that aren't straight anymore. then here are some low or no cost things to do when re assembling the car.

Take apart and re grease your drive shafts.
Shim suspension pieces so they are totally free but also free of slop.
Change the o-rings and bladders in the shocks.
Check bearings.

Im sure that their are many more things that i cant think of right now but i hope this helps. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hi paul

how was your trip to uk and hope you can come over and do some racing

with brca changing rules for 17.5t class to blinky how would you gear 17.5t on 20x30 mtr track
Old 01-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Paul thanks for the info on the 007. Would picking up the H1 L1 links and picking up a after market gear diff make much of a difference? Thanks again
Old 01-04-2012, 06:45 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Craig W
hi paul

how was your trip to uk and hope you can come over and do some racing

with brca changing rules for 17.5t class to blinky how would you gear 17.5t on 20x30 mtr track
Hi. I haven't recently been to the UK but i would love to someday get over their again. I would suggest starting around a 3.7, with moderate timing, that should be safe. check temp then you will want to ease in to the timing and or gear while monitoring the temp as to not get too hot.
too hot is 200deg or 93c.

Thanks, good luck!

Paul thanks for the info on the 007. Would picking up the H1 L1 links and picking up a after market gear diff make much of a difference? Thanks again
I don't think that the L1 L2 pieces are necessary. i would think about picking up the gear diff but you will have to check which pulleys you have on your car,
i think that the 07 had 34t diff pulleys, the only gear diff that they make is a 38.
I always tell people that the gear diff is 1tenth faster but 2tenths harder to drive. so it in not totally necessary.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
Hi. I haven't recently been to the UK but i would love to someday get over their again. I would suggest starting around a 3.7, with moderate timing, that should be safe. check temp then you will want to ease in to the timing and or gear while monitoring the temp as to not get too hot.
too hot is 200deg or 93c.

Thanks, good luck!

I don't think that the L1 L2 pieces are necessary. i would think about picking up the gear diff but you will have to check which pulleys you have on your car,
i think that the 07 had 34t diff pulleys, the only gear diff that they make is a 38.
I always tell people that the gear diff is 1tenth faster but 2tenths harder to drive. so it in not totally necessary.
thank you paul
Old 01-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info Paul
Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Do I need to set up droop if im running rubber tires? If so, what's a good starting point for my Xray T3 2012
Old 01-05-2012, 01:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by entitymugenmtx
Do I need to set up droop if im running rubber tires? If so, what's a good starting point for my Xray T3 2012
Sorry, jumping in
Most cars in the UK run 5-4 on asphalt and 6-5 on carpet, measured with gauge, not 'over ride height'
Old 01-05-2012, 02:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Paul, I know its only just gone 2012 but how early do you start preparing for the worlds? How many days a week do you find yourself at the track preparing and practising? Really hoping we see you on the podium. Regards Benzaah
Old 01-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Gravity RC

Thanks for the info Paul
No problem!

Originally Posted by entitymugenmtx
Yes you do want to run droop for sure. you can do it with gauges.
a nother good way to get the droop close is to set the car up completely with the droop screws all the way out, make sure that the ride height and tweak is totally set. then turn down your droop screws until the rear springs are just touching the collars but not preloading the spring at all. then match the front droop to the rear (front springs will be ever so slightly preloaded. that will give you around 3mms of droop.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Sorry, jumping in
Most cars in the UK run 5-4 on asphalt and 6-5 on carpet, measured with gauge, not 'over ride height'
Thanks, is that 5F 6R. that tells you how long it has been since i used a gauge. lol

Originally Posted by Benzaah
Paul, I know its only just gone 2012 but how early do you start preparing for the worlds? How many days a week do you find yourself at the track preparing and practising? Really hoping we see you on the podium. Regards Benzaah
Hi Benzaah. It is hard for me to have perfect practice because the track is so much different for the WC's and plus it is winter where i live. so yes i do practice and test 1 to 2 times a week right now. but am not able to do testing for the WC. also their is 3 WC's this year, 12th, TC, Nitro TC. their is no way to be perfectly prepared for all three by my self. Podium would be nice but not easy .

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.