Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Gravity RC

Sorry i haven't been keeping up much on here, travels have been keeping me busy. Thanks

Originally Posted by B00t13g
Ill be here man! Full of sedan questions! 600 front seems really thick, but most of my offroad experience has been 2wd buggy!
yea, i think it is kinda thick. ill be drilling some small hole pistons with lighter oil to get a bit of a softer feel with more pack. not saying i even know what im talking about but that is what i will try next.

Originally Posted by Warren Weaver
Everythings good paulie hope to see you soon,and hope ralph puts me on the team he's got my application
Cool, Good luck!!

Originally Posted by srp67
Let's get this back to page 1

Steve P.
Thanks Steve

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
Paul have u ran the xb4 outside yet ? If so what oil/piston info can u give me on the xb4?
All 5 tracks I run at r med-lg tracks with med jumps (10' distance jumps at the most just a few feet off the ground ) little bumpy /loomy
I havent run outside yet so i have absolutely no idea, I would be lying if i told you anything about outdoor yet. I would look at some of the Xray database and get a idea from their. Good luck!

Originally Posted by King of B Main
Hi Paul,

You going to Reedy? Also do you have a Asphalt setup for Reedy?
I am going to the Nationals then the Reedy, I am going to start here ( http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...D=126&setup=t4 ) as a baseline for the nats and go from their, since i haven't tested on asphalt much i am just going to go with the most successful high bite carpet set up that i have so far. By the Reedy race i assume that it will change some.
Thanks

Originally Posted by TEXT
Hey paul. My question for you....why arent we friends on facebook anymore? Hahaha! Hope you been doing well man! I have relocated to alabama from wisconsin!
Hi Alex, for the public record we still are friends on FB, lol. good luck down their. hope you like it.

Originally Posted by lightfoot
I've looked everywhere for 2.5 million diff lube.... does anyone have it in stock ? Thanks for help...
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE
Superior hobbies appears to have it in stock

http://www.superiorhobbies.com/istar...9&search=GRC**
Originally Posted by lightfoot
Thank you so much for that... I ordered it a few hours ago and I just received an e-mail that it's shipped... wow...
Perfect, Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Hi Paul

Do you find that the Thunder Power Modified motors tend to be a torque motor, or do they want to rev more compared with things like the LRP's etc?

Thanks
Skiddins
Hi Skiddens, it kinda depends on the rotor and situation but i suppose overall i would classify them as more of a RPM motor.

No problem!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Whats your take on wheel flex for 12th?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:14 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Max K
Whats your take on wheel flex for 12th?
Hi Max. definitely a stiffer front wheel will have more steering, but especially initial steering. a soft wheel will be smoother on center and less prone to traction rolling, and will be easier to drive. I like a 12th scale wheel to be not too stiff but not to soft either.
As for rear wheels i really don't know, all the tire testing that i have done has all been on wheels that are on the stiff side.

see ya!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey Paul I was curious if I get my new T4 wednesday will u build my shocks, camber links and diff for me that night at the nats? Lol
Old 04-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Paul,
What is your tire warming and tire saucing technique together when running TC on asphalt?
Old 04-28-2013, 03:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey Paul,

How much timing do you run on your 1/12th motor?

Is it true that more timing a motor has less torque is produced?

Cheers

Kev
Old 04-29-2013, 07:37 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by thisguy2849
Hey Paul I was curious if I get my new T4 wednesday will u build my shocks, camber links and diff for me that night at the nats? Lol
Hopefully i will have all mystuff pretty much ready so i could pitch in a bit

Originally Posted by ChadB.
Paul,
What is your tire warming and tire saucing technique together when running TC on asphalt?
It has been a while but i will start with new tires by cleaning them with motor spray then a application of LG1 on the first run only. from their i will simply use a bit of LG2 rubbed in and let air dry every run after that, this is by far the most consistent for me. if you want to introduce warmers you can and could have better results but then the the consistency goes way down if you do not do it perfect every time.

Thanks

Originally Posted by HBRC-LBD
Hey Paul,

How much timing do you run on your 1/12th motor?

Is it true that more timing a motor has less torque is produced?

Cheers

Kev
I normally run 30deg. In the old days maybe less timing meant more torque but i definitely do not think so anymore. now days with the voltage recovery of the battery and the static timing effecting the introduction of the speedo timing i feel like for me more timing is simply more power. 35deg being about max though before the power could taper do to inefficiency.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Lol thanks Paul. So hurry up and get your stuff ready
Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you Paul
Old 04-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Paul for the response.

When using the warmers, how hot would you set them for? Would it vary on the temperature outside or track temp?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by ChadB.
Thanks Paul for the response.

When using the warmers, how hot would you set them for? Would it vary on the temperature outside or track temp?
No problem. I rarely get to race asphalt where Warner's are used so I'm prolly not quite the expert but the temp and time would very depending on amost every variable. Such as, how much additive is applied, how thick the additive is, outside temp, how long it takes to get threw tech, are you using them to simply cook the additive into the tire? or to have the tire warm itself at the line? etc, etc, etc.
The perfect method with Warmers will normally be best but the wrong method could be way bad. I feel like by far the most consistent way is simply to rub it in and let it dry, this way you can focus simply on how much is best for the period you are letting it sit. very, very little Additive for shorter time, a bit more for longer time. At one worlds I had a good method with Warmers and only missed TQ by a few tenths of a second, the next round I switched the method slightly and went a lap down, lol. In closing You do not want the tire greasy as in my story they ended up that way.

Hope this helps
Old 04-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm having the hardest time trying to figure out if my bulkheads/ general aluminum pieces are bent, any tips or tricks? Thanks for your help at the j concepts race it helped a lot. Nice meeting you!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by B00t13g
I'm having the hardest time trying to figure out if my bulkheads/ general aluminum pieces are bent, any tips or tricks? Thanks for your help at the j concepts race it helped a lot. Nice meeting you!

Hi. Thanks, it was fun down their!. I have bent back aluminum pieces in a pinch before at races but it really depends where it is bent and how bad. when i have done it i have find a machinists stone to lay the piece on and tap it back flat with a ball hammer. but getting new pieces is likely necessary.

see ya
Old 04-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Hi Paul.

Can you give me a guesstimate of what FDR and motor you would run a Thunder Power 4.5 at on this track;

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Believe the straight is around 75m

Thanks
Skiddins
Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Paul L
No problem. I rarely get to race asphalt where Warner's are used so I'm prolly not quite the expert but the temp and time would very depending on amost every variable. Such as, how much additive is applied, how thick the additive is, outside temp, how long it takes to get threw tech, are you using them to simply cook the additive into the tire? or to have the tire warm itself at the line? etc, etc, etc.
The perfect method with Warmers will normally be best but the wrong method could be way bad. I feel like by far the most consistent way is simply to rub it in and let it dry, this way you can focus simply on how much is best for the period you are letting it sit. very, very little Additive for shorter time, a bit more for longer time. At one worlds I had a good method with Warmers and only missed TQ by a few tenths of a second, the next round I switched the method slightly and went a lap down, lol. In closing You do not want the tire greasy as in my story they ended up that way.

Hope this helps
Thanks Paul for the help. I was always under the assumption that people needed to use tire warmers when running on asphalt, but you cleared that up for me.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.