Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 03:28 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Hi Paul,
I am trying to set up my 008 Xray with a spool for VTA with the 25.5 motor and the low grip Hadley carpet. Currently I am running 30 weight oil in the back, 40 wt in the front, 1.5 degree of camber in the front, 2.5 camber in the rear, about 3 degrees of rear toe in, no toe in the front, stock springs and sway bars. In the first heat of our last race the car was out of control loose when as you try to accelerate out of the corner. In the second heat I only used compound on the rear tires, raised the front ride height, and put the stock springs on the rear. It was better and in the last heat I put the stock springs on the front. It was better but still loose on acceleration on out of the corner. On our carpet the grip isi an issue. Thanks.
Mike
Hadley RC Club
Old 10-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Paul what's up ? Have a shock question for u pertaining to all Rc tc cars . Sanario is car is set up ready to race all setting r spot on
Let's say ur ride height is 5mm f/r for easy figuring
U put ur tc chassis on a 5mm block and remove springs only . Now u measure ur shock shaft (let's say 8mm of shock shaft showing) OK, I want to rebuild shocks ..
Dump oil ,refill ,remove air, not to set rebound and secure cap.
If one was to use vented caps with no foam ,set shock rebound by measuring 8mm of shaft showing with ride height gauge then apply Blatter and remove any access oil/air THEN install cap and tighten . Would u say the shocks Blatter would be relaxed at 8mm ? If so would it still allow for 100% travel ? If so wouldn't this make for a shock setup that always consistent and needs less maintenance since a tc car sits 90% of its race day on the wheels ? If all this is true why wouldn't this be the preferred shock building technique? Is their any reason to build it differently (performance wise) tks Paul .
As for the vta question above . Make sure the rear tires r older or at least not any newer than the front clean them between every session u have on the track . And a narrower rear with long low(Inside) links seems to give the most mechanical rear grip . Hope it helps u untill paul can give better answer xray specific
Old 10-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
Hi Paul,
I am trying to set up my 008 Xray with a spool for VTA with the 25.5 motor and the low grip Hadley carpet. Currently I am running 30 weight oil in the back, 40 wt in the front, 1.5 degree of camber in the front, 2.5 camber in the rear, about 3 degrees of rear toe in, no toe in the front, stock springs and sway bars. In the first heat of our last race the car was out of control loose when as you try to accelerate out of the corner. In the second heat I only used compound on the rear tires, raised the front ride height, and put the stock springs on the rear. It was better and in the last heat I put the stock springs on the front. It was better but still loose on acceleration on out of the corner. On our carpet the grip isi an issue. Thanks.
Mike
Hadley RC Club
If your VTA tires are new, this is normal until they break in. If not, I'm sure Paul has some suggestions.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Paul should be back tomorrow. He has been in FL at the Nitro On road Nationals kicking the crack out of everyone's butt. He won both 10th TC and 8th scale at the Nationals with the NT1 and RX8. Chuck Moon made an Xray clean sweep by winning the Masters class with the RX8!

EA
Old 10-22-2012, 01:14 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Great job, Paul.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default 2012 Fuel On Road National

Congratulation Paul for winning both 1/10 and 1/8
Old 10-23-2012, 07:58 AM
Gravity RC

HI all, sorry for the delay in responce.

Originally Posted by MD
Hi Paul,
Mike
Hadley RC Club
Hi Mike, I am farmilliar with the track so i think i can help some. basicly for the hadley track i would reccommend doing a lot of things to get rear traction. I would reduce front camber to 0.5deg and increase the rear camber to 3deg. I would also use 2deg caster blocks instead of 4deg.
I would use 3.5deg rear toe in. I would make sure that the steering center post is back. i would make sure that teh rear wheelbase is full long and the front wheelbase is full short. I would use -.75 rear hexs.

From below: also good advice with the rear tires especially "Make sure the rear tires r older or at least not any newer than the front clean them between every session u have on the track . And a narrower rear with long low(Inside) links seems to give the most mechanical rear grip . Hope it helps u untill paul can give better answer xray specific"

Those are the things that i would start with. Good luck!

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
Paul what's up ? Have a shock question for u pertaining to all Rc tc cars . Sanario is car is set up ready to race all setting r spot on
Let's say ur ride height is 5mm f/r for easy figuring
U put ur tc chassis on a 5mm block and remove springs only . Now u measure ur shock shaft (let's say 8mm of shock shaft showing) OK, I want to rebuild shocks ..
Dump oil ,refill ,remove air, not to set rebound and secure cap.
If one was to use vented caps with no foam ,set shock rebound by measuring 8mm of shaft showing with ride height gauge then apply Blatter and remove any access oil/air THEN install cap and tighten . Would u say the shocks Blatter would be relaxed at 8mm ? If so would it still allow for 100% travel ? If so wouldn't this make for a shock setup that always consistent and needs less maintenance since a tc car sits 90% of its race day on the wheels ? If all this is true why wouldn't this be the preferred shock building technique? Is their any reason to build it differently (performance wise) tks Paul .
As for the vta question above . Make sure the rear tires r older or at least not any newer than the front clean them between every session u have on the track . And a narrower rear with long low(Inside) links seems to give the most mechanical rear grip . Hope it helps u untill paul can give better answer xray specific

Hi. yea that makes fine sence with the shocks. i would think that the bladder would be at its most natural state if you bleed them for "ride height rebound". But I normally bleed my shocks until they are totally dead at any position, teh car seems to drive most consistent for me that way.

Thanks

Originally Posted by NateRug
If your VTA tires are new, this is normal until they break in. If not, I'm sure Paul has some suggestions.
Thanks for the help

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Paul should be back tomorrow. He has been in FL at the Nitro On road Nationals kicking the crack out of everyone's butt. He won both 10th TC and 8th scale at the Nationals with the NT1 and RX8. Chuck Moon made an Xray clean sweep by winning the Masters class with the RX8!

EA
Thanks EA

Originally Posted by MD
Great job, Paul.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by liteweight
Congratulation Paul for winning both 1/10 and 1/8
was a nice turn around to my week.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Thanks, Paul.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Paul u have any advise for the new T4 owners that r running carpet ? Can't wait to get mine in tomorrow
Old 11-01-2012, 07:26 AM
Gravity RC

Paul u have any advise for the new T4 owners that r running carpet ? Can't wait to get mine in tomorrow
Hi Justin. I would suggest starting with Andrew Hardmans T4 set up from the Halloween classic. I will try and find the sheet and post it. I am in Nitro mode right now but when I return, that is where I will start myself. I looked on the X-ray site but could not yet find it yet. 350 oil in place of the oil that he used.

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Paul L;11392472]Hi Justin. I would suggest starting with Andrew Hardmans T4 set up from the Halloween classic. I will try and find the sheet and post it. I am in Nitro mode right now but when I return, that is where I will start myself. I looked on the X-ray site but could not yet find it yet. 350 oil in place of the oil that he used.

Thanks.[/QUOTE

Corey has it posted on the T-4 thread post# 1179
Old 11-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Gravity RC

[QUOTE=Breezy1;11392551]
Originally Posted by Paul L
Hi Justin. I would suggest starting with Andrew Hardmans T4 set up from the Halloween classic. I will try and find the sheet and post it. I am in Nitro mode right now but when I return, that is where I will start myself. I looked on the X-ray site but could not yet find it yet. 350 oil in place of the oil that he used.

Thanks.[/QUOTE

Corey has it posted on the T-4 thread post# 1179
Great, thanks!
Old 11-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Hey Paul, I got a question about the Xray t3 12`, I have gone through many setup sheets and have been testing different setups. Ive noticed lately more drivers are running softer setups, 2.6-2.2 springs all the way around and 350-450 cst even on carpet, and I was wondering if that is a trending setup thats working, or just personal preference. I pesonally am used to running the carpet spec or asphalt spec setup sheets by xray with 3.0 front and 2.6 rear springs, + or - a few things. Thanks for taking the time to explain this. I hope I get to meet you at the Snowbird Nationals this year. Chad
Old 11-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Tekin Prodigy
Hey Paul, I got a question about the Xray t3 12`, I have gone through many setup sheets and have been testing different setups. Ive noticed lately more drivers are running softer setups, 2.6-2.2 springs all the way around and 350-450 cst even on carpet, and I was wondering if that is a trending setup thats working, or just personal preference. I pesonally am used to running the carpet spec or asphalt spec setup sheets by xray with 3.0 front and 2.6 rear springs, + or - a few things. Thanks for taking the time to explain this. I hope I get to meet you at the Snowbird Nationals this year. Chad

Hi Chad. Yea that is definately a trend and I'm not sure I have a good answer. Personally I agree with you and like the way the older style set ups drive. but that being said I have got smoked at the last couple big carpet races by the new softer "nosy" style set ups. So yes i think their is something to the softer set ups. Part of it is The old stiffer set ups were more suited to the old weight limits. Once I get back testing next month I should be able to elaborate a bit on this.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hi Paul, do you have any good starting setups for the new t4, running on low/med carpet in 17.5 blinky. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.