Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by onekiwi
Theres something not quite right with that picture, can't put my finger on it but...
Actualy You can put your finger on it quite easily, they're red losi two ribs lol

Maybe he races on some opsurd carpet track? Or only had losi tires to mount, either way, it's kinda funny

Has anyone in the is driven this darn thing yet?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by losi b
Looks great PS71. Does the car feel different at all with the steel gears and did you change front and rear diffs to steel gears?
Thanks, Brian.
It is actually my brother who got the steelgears, he did not mention anything so guess it just the same. Did feel smooooth when i put it together
Onlt the rear that got replaced..
Got 3 more steelgear sets on the way just in case
Old 12-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by annonymous
Actualy You can put your finger on it quite easily, they're red losi two ribs lol

Maybe he races on some opsurd carpet track? Or only had losi tires to mount, either way, it's kinda funny

Has anyone in the is driven this darn thing yet?
There are some in the US that have recieved theirs. I think all the guys out of Mikes Hobbyshop in TX. Haven't seen any stateside videos and I can't wait to see some videos of this car on a clay track.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Theibault
There are some in the US that have recieved theirs. I think all the guys out of Mikes Hobbyshop in TX. Haven't seen any stateside videos and I can't wait to see some videos of this car on a clay track.
I have mine already but i haven't driven it yet I still haven't seen a good US style clay track review from anyone though
Old 12-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Tech Addict

XRAY XB4 - My Assembly ... Youtube version

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Maiden voyage

I ran 4 packs through mine today at Mikes. Steve Brewer and Alex also had theirs out with me. I ran 5k front and 3k rear diff with the kit set up on DD's. it had good traction but slightly twitchy. I will be adding more rear droop to settle the rear a bit. Over all impression was good car.
Now for the bad news. When building it, the 3x10 screws that hold the small part of the bulkheads and the screws that bolt the shock towers to the bulkhead were slightly over 2mm. I tried 3 different drivers and none fit tightly. Luckily I had some spares from my 22 to use.
The smallest pinion I could fit was a 19 and with a 6.5 turned way down, the ESC temps were 185. I couldn't get the motor to stop moving even after cranking down hard on the clamp screw. The spur gear now has some wear from the motor moving. Lastly, 1 off angle landing broke the rear shock tower where the camber link attaches. Bummer because I was starting to get back in my wheeler groove.
Does anyone know who has rear shock towers and spurs in stock in the US?
Come to think of it, isn't there a bigger spur gear available?
Oh well, I had fun while it lasted. Tis the perils of being a first owner.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Tech Addict

How did the other two fare? Did they also have the same screw issues and any breakages when they ran?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Tech Adept

I ran 4 packs through mine today at Mikes. Steve Brewer and Alex also had theirs out with me. I ran 5k front and 3k rear diff with the kit set up on DD's. it had good traction but slightly twitchy. I will be adding more rear droop to settle the rear a bit. Over all impression was good car.
Now for the bad news. When building it, the 3x10 screws that hold the small part of the bulkheads and the screws that bolt the shock towers to the bulkhead were slightly over 2mm. I tried 3 different drivers and none fit tightly. Luckily I had some spares from my 22 to use.
The smallest pinion I could fit was a 19 and with a 6.5 turned way down, the ESC temps were 185. I couldn't get the motor to stop moving even after cranking down hard on the clamp screw. The spur gear now has some wear from the motor moving. Lastly, 1 off angle landing broke the rear shock tower where the camber link attaches. Bummer because I was starting to get back in my wheeler groove.
Does anyone know who has rear shock towers and spurs in stock in the US?
Come to think of it, isn't there a bigger spur gear available?
Oh well, I had fun while it lasted. Tis the perils of being a first owner.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck....

I run a 17t pinion on mine and dont have any issues with engine coming loose.....
Wish the shocktowers were 4mm instead, one of the guys broke a rear shocktower here also, he did not glue it first....
Old 12-23-2012, 03:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Is it possible to double up shock towers? is there enough room for 2 to fit?
Old 12-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Sounds like both have broke where the camber link meets the tower. What about putting like a 3x8 washer on both sides of the tower right there to add strength and get rid of the flex thats making it break?
Old 12-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

^ I haven't gotten my kit yet but it sounds like the flat spot that touches the shock tower has a pretty small diameter. I did the same big washer trick with my RC10 to keep the front shock tower from breaking where the two screws held it in, otherwise it'd break pretty easily right there.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

So my first track time with the car was better than how Losi B faired.

Ran the car with M4 Holeshots all day, 10k rear diff oil, 2mm rear internal limiters.

Car jumps very well and lands smooth with minimal adjustment in the air. I don't know how but the car generates a lot of braking power. I have the brakes set super soft but it still has a lot of braking ability.

The drivetrain is very smooth and quiet. Compares to a belt car. Another XB4 owner we think blew the diff internals. Free reving the car there is no noise but loading the drivetrain it barks like a loose ball diff.

Overall for me the car is very fast and likes to be pushed pretty hard. Need to play wth shock setup. For my current tracks layout the stock pistons are too soft. I feel the 2 hole pistons should provide the needed pack with the kit oils.

Will do some more testing this week. Probably going to go ahead and do the washer trick on the towers to help spread the load and hopefully not have any issues in the future. I do feel that the towers are too thin to start with.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

fnished mine toay. I had about a dozen buton head screws that were bad as well. My internal diff gears seemed plenty tight, don't think I coud have shimed it if I tried. Have not run it yet, but I think as long you dial your brakes way down on your radio, start w/ your sliper a bit loose, and try not to over power the car, the plastic gears should be fine.

Everything else for me was PERFECT! Car has got to be a winner! I love emulsion shocks, and to me these are the best I've built. I think chassis design is awesome. The motor mount is super easy to set mesh. My electronics fit perfect. Tekin rs/Sanwa 451r/sanwa LP servo helped give extra room for wiring everything super short.

If you've built an Xray, you know how great the plastics are, if you have not. be sure to use grease on ALL screws and turnbucles and use a hand drill and a 2.5 cap head screw to pre tap the diff cases, especially where the shock towers mount.

The washers behind the ball studs on the shock tower that was mentioned works great. Sand and glue your towers and I think they will be fine. I'm sure some aftermarket companies will be makeing some thicker ones soon.

It is well worth taking your time on this kit. It's a home run in my Hobby Book!!!!! I'll be getting another for my son real soon........
Old 12-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just a heads up, my towers were sanded and glued.
Has anyone seen shock towers in stick in the US?
Old 12-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just a heads up, my towers were sanded and glued.
Has anyone seen shock towers in stick in the US?
I know GShobby has the front but that won't help you guys...sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.