Search

Courtney Marine Corps Base Off-Road Track Okinawa Japan

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm here. WooHoo!
Old 04-09-2009, 03:52 AM
Tech Regular

3 lanes deep? That would be a very small track.

What Ken is trying to show is the drivers stand. It is a conex (sp) box with a railing all the way around.

I personally like the whole setup that ARC in Temecula has. I was reading through their forum for about 5 hours last night. It is way over the top of what we would would want but you can get a lot of ideas from it.

Go to their thread and view post 75 and post 314.

Again--on top of a conex box with a railing, handicap access, a roof, lights, and the race directors room.

(You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made a certain number of posts. You have not reached that limit yet.---EVEN WHEN THE URL IS FOR THIS SITE?????)

Lead Farmer--and who might you be?

Last edited by crymynal; 04-09-2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:25 AM
Tech Regular

Can you guys see the picture of the track?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I can see the track Ken, but there are no good marshalling spots.

I think 4 lane deep track would be fine as long as there is a good spot for someone to marshall from. As the build comes along and we get some running in a good demo would be to marshall as you would like to be marshalled. Or thou shall marshall all racers equally etc. etc. later thread.

I just don't want to see some one get there leg taken off crossing a track.

Any news from Camp Services?

The Hill will go no where until then.

Pretty much in the keep it simple stupid mode, we can always make improvements, just want to get it done to drive.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Initiate

I agree with you John you could get an ankle taken out trying to flip someone back over.....have to come up with an idea that will allow for that. I have had the full bore Savage in to the leg smash.....once was enough. We just need to get some more ideas thrown out there and put them all together for one kick butt track.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

I agree that we must ensure the marshal has a relatively safe place to stand. But the first rule for a turn marshal is never put yourself in harms way, NEVER enter the track with traffic coming towards you. Track design can have a huge affect on how big a role the turn marshals play. We all want to go fast and get big air but it comes at a price, tracks can be laid out to be challenging yet easy to stay on course. Typically the turn marshal that gets caught up watching the whole race instead of "his area" will be the guy that gets run over..........
Old 04-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Bingo Ken! But I'm too stupid to check left and right and left as I crossed three tracks at BIOS.

Please put your REAL name in your signature so we can mention your suggestions at the next meeting or bash your funny screen name and avatar.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

REAL NAMES IN YOUR SIGNATURE.

6 Lanes with well though out turn marshall spots. My vote has been cast.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

All,

Here is the latest on the Courtney track.

I spoke with Camp Services on Friday, The hve contacted facilities on oster, intially the answer they got was that even if we jut remove weeds and add dirt it would be considered a "class II build" and would ave togo through the normal "chain" for approval, that could take up to 5 yrs....

Upon further discussion and a little research, Camp services, the Camp Commander and Asst Camp Commander are going to take this on as a community service project, they are extremly supportive and see the utility behind the track.

This will help to expedite the paperwork and ensure smooth sailing.

We do need to assist them with the paperwork and details, so if I can get the old packet that was started, this will save us from re-inventing the wheel and allow us to articulate the scope of this project.

Jon and I spent some time on the web Friday looking at aerial imagery of the site and discovered a few things.

1. In 03 there was a building on this site, Aprox 100x100', There is a road that leads in from the corner to the back of the lot and loops around the site.

2. The site is aproximately 250' wide by 200' deep, this is the useable area.

3. There is aproximately 100' from the edg of the site to the Barracks Chow Hall, and work section on the other side of the trees. Aproximately 250' from the site to the nearest house across Hwy 75.

Since there was a bulding right in the middle of the site, chances are there may be utilities already available (power, water, etc) this is something to keep in mind before we start scrapeing, digging or dumping.

I am going to stop by the slate park today to copy down the park rules, this will gie us a great start on contructing the rules for the course.

I have been thinking about the marshaling areas, at a track I recently visited, they had used plastic barrels, cut to 1/3 the height with a secton cut out for you to "walk" into the barrier. (kind of like a barrel for a rodeo clown), They had them staged at key locations around the track with the high side faceing oncoming vehicles.

This "shield" served a few purposes, 1. identified marshal "posts" 2. provided adequate protection for track personnel. 3. provided staging areas for extinguisers/fire buckets, etc.

As soon as I download the image and learn how to "draw" on it, I will do a rough sketch of the site layout for tracks, conex, etc.

I will continue to update this thread as I get more info.

Thanks again for your support, interest and enthusiasm.

Robert
Old 04-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Adept

Track name:

The Hill= 1. it is on a hill, it does have significant military meaning. (this will fit as the "nickname" for the park and easily translates to Japanese.

Courtney Off-Road R/C Complex

Courtney Community R/C Complex

Okinawa Off-Road R/C

Patriots Off-Road R/C Complex

Legends R/C Park= Each course could have a campaign name or noteable individual name... even a track name (dirty word, crucible, mount mother,etc)

Freedom Off-Road R/C Park

I recommend anyone with inut add to this post, then we can do a "poll" for the top , then the winner.

another suggestion might be a contest when the track opens, winner get's a slash? ( we all pitch in 10-15 bucks), buy a slash and award it to the name contest winner.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Tech Addict

The Hill sounds good for the "Nickname". As far as the other ones you mentioned Robert, I like "Park" over the word "Complex".

A park suggests a family environment and a place to relax. A complex suggests just a place with a lot of stuff in it - industrial complex, maintanace complex, etc.

I think "Park" at the end of whatever is decided fits with what we're trying to do.

As for the individual courses themselves, we could play off the term "The Hill" a little more. The rock crawling course could be called "The Rocks". The small off-road course could be called "The Mound" (suggesting a smaller area), and the big off-road course could be called "The Dunes" (suggesting a bigger, expansive space).

Just my two cents.

As for the courses themselves and the layout of the space, I liked the idea we came up with at the meeting, but I'd have to see the aerial view with your annotations of actual useable space before I give my input. I'm having a hard time visualizing the usable space, and if it jives with our sketch we had on the easel.

I love the idea of the rodeo barrels though for marshaling. That's an awesome idea.

Speaking of marshals, I thought of a great way to get more people involved. We could ask different agencies like the Boy Scouts, etc for volunteers to marshal for us when we host a race. They would marshal the races so the racers can concentrate on driving, fixing their cars, etc. When the races are over, we provide them our Slashes (we'll probably have plenty by then) and hold a special race for them (free of course), and we'd marshal for them.

They get to "dip their big toe" so to speak to see if they like it, without actually have to front any costs...whaddya think?

If you can, e-mail me that aerial view of the space when you get a chance...

- Paulie

Last edited by pgeldz; 04-11-2009 at 05:55 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chemfrk
Track name:

The Hill= 1. it is on a hill, it does have significant military meaning. (this will fit as the "nickname" for the park and easily translates to Japanese.

Courtney Off-Road R/C Complex

Courtney Community R/C Complex

Okinawa Off-Road R/C

Patriots Off-Road R/C Complex

Legends R/C Park= Each course could have a campaign name or noteable individual name... even a track name (dirty word, crucible, mount mother,etc)

Freedom Off-Road R/C Park

I recommend anyone with inut add to this post, then we can do a "poll" for the top , then the winner.

another suggestion might be a contest when the track opens, winner get's a slash? ( we all pitch in 10-15 bucks), buy a slash and award it to the name contest winner.
I think that Okinawa should be in the name. I think this would assist folks looking for RC action on Okinawa find us. I really like the idea of naming each individual section of the "complex".
Jason
Old 04-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Adept

I can't post url's right now,

I will try again or can send the link tosomeone that can

If you look at the image, the course layout we had on the easel fits almost perfectly, the edge closest to the chow hall has the road, we can use it for parking, etc, it is hardball, just covered with vines, thay is why we thought it was recessed,,, it just doesn't have the thickness the rest of the park does.

I am working on the imae and adding lines, etc to give some perspective on the site.

Thank you all for the input.

Robert
Old 04-12-2009, 03:18 AM
Tech Regular

http://

I have some software that can design tracks like this. It may come in handy coming up with a good layout for "The Hill"
Old 04-12-2009, 03:35 AM
Tech Regular

http://

First off no marshal is safe with Jon driving that rocket powered buggy !!
The picture may be deceiving, there is actually good coverage for turn marshals, mostly on the perimeter. Explanation of notes:

1. Front straight and starting area, full speed to the first turn.
2. This is a station for a marshal, the entrance to pit lane and the sensor line for start/finish.
3. This double jump is very interesting, can't carry too much speed into the corner but you need enough to clear the double, also spot for turn marshal
4.Back straight.....full speed, having a lane 50 feet away about the only way to make it drivable is a straight away, also spot for turn marshal.
5. Rhythm section 3 or 4 small bumps that you must negotiate before a small tabletop.
6. A series of 5 or 6 jumps that can be taken 1, 2 or 3 at a time.
7. Turn marshal
8. A couple of small bumps that make it difficult to line up and get on power to clear the double.
9. This is the big air; it is actually a double with a small landing area before the second mound a nice landing area with a down slope. Take off to landing can be as much as 30-35 feet, easily made by 1/8 buggies and truggies........if you get lined up.
10. In the corner is an opened gate is a position for another turn marshal

The inside of the track is a slower area that most people negotiate with out much trouble.

Not that I am pushing for this track but the back and forth design minimizes the material needed for lane markers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.