Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 06:44 AM
Regional Moderator

what about the slop up front, any suggestion on how to reduce that?
Old 02-16-2002, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Mike F

A trick that I've used on other cars, but not on my TA03, is to put a rubberband over the bellcranks. It squeezes them together and eliminates the slop in the bellcranks without adding additional risk of damage.
Old 02-16-2002, 09:38 AM
Regional Moderator

I'll try that, thanks
Old 02-17-2002, 05:06 AM
Fit
Tech Apprentice

Mike F,
I bought a GPM torque rod set and used it on the front
to remove most of the suspension slop.
If you can still find it try it. It works quite well.

Any good websites for the 03?
Kerchie's website is no longer available, that was
one of the best 03 sites I've come across so far.
Old 02-17-2002, 05:37 PM
Regional Moderator

Default ttt

thanks
Old 02-17-2002, 08:46 PM
Tech Adept

There is not much you can do as far as slop goes on the TA03. I have 3 cars and all of them has some slop to them. But if you are able to find the GPM torque rod set that Fit suggested it removes a lot of the slop.

What brand and type of bodies do you guys use. I will be using it at club races so it doesn't have to be tamiya bodies. Does the HPI bodies wheel cut outs line up well with the TA03 chassis?

Just rebuild my TA03R-TRF, but won't be racing it, just for display. I'll be running my Pro for club races. I just can't bare to see the carbon fiber on the TRF getting all scratched up.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

The only bodies that will have all the markings line up will be Tamiya bodies. I am running a Losi Stratus-phere body on my TA03 and the wheel well cutouts lined up perfectly. I had to mark for the body posts myself. The only thing to watch out for when marking the body post holes is the fact that the rear body posts have a tendancy to point slightly toward the front of the car. If you mark at the center of the rear posts, the body will sit too far back when you mount it. You might want to cut the body posts down a bit before marking. I don't really like HPI bodies because they are very thin and crack at the front wheel well easily. On the other hand, they have the best decals (of the non-Tamiya bodies.)
Old 02-18-2002, 03:22 PM
Tech Addict

speaking of bodies i have a hard time fitting bodies onto my 03
the rear body posts are too high, not enough holes down at the bottom of the post, is there some kinda easy fix that can fix this problem?
Old 02-18-2002, 04:27 PM
Tech Adept

psycho-Thanks for the tip regarding the Losi body.

fire-I had the same problem. If you are able to find them, I use the Cross TA03 body mounts. The rear body post have holes that go further down then the original Tamiya body post.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

I'd just drill an extra hole or two further down.

Fire, try www.castlehobbies.com for the Cross body posts. I'm pretty sure they have a set or two on their clearance wall. You'll probably have to call them, though.

So, Dayten, are you racing at Castle this weekend? I hope it doesn't rain again! I can't wait to get out there!
Old 02-18-2002, 05:22 PM
Tech Addict

i just used a drill with a 1/16 bit to drill 2 more holes on each of the rear body post and now i can fit my stratus on~~
Old 02-19-2002, 07:50 AM
Tech Adept

Psycho-I'll try to make it out if I get my body mounted and painted, my shocks rebuilt and my tires glued in time. Then try to setup my car. If you see a guy out there with an uncontrollable car out on the track that's me. lol.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Dayten

Don't worry! There will be plenty of guys with uncontrollable cars out there! What tires are you running?
Old 02-19-2002, 09:09 PM
Tech Adept

Psycho-I was chatting with Cameron and he suggested Pit Shimizu D27R belted slicks with Yokomo ZR-037F firm inserts. He also suggested using 80wt oil, but he didn't recall if i should use 2 hole or 1 hole pistons.

I am going to try this setup that I picked up from xtremerc for smooth track setup for the TA03.

Rear
80wt oil
Blue Springs
1 hole pistons
2 degrees of camber
4mm ride height
battery to the rear
Red sway bars
16 tooth pulley

Front
80wt oil
Blue Springs
1 hole pistons
2 degrees of camber
yellow sway bars
16 tooth pulley
Stock Hub Carrier
Old 02-20-2002, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Dayten

I agree on that choice of tire, but I think the firm insert may be a bit too firm. If the budget allows, I'd also pick up another set and put medium inserts in them. This way you can go medium all around or medium rear and firm up front depending on how the car behaves. I find the car comes around a lot with the blue springs in back, so I run Associated silver springs in the rear. Bring a sharpie pen so you can mark your tires and set the camber for the track. You might need to go with a little more camber in the rear, but you won't know unless you mark your tires and check the wear. I would also try to wear in your tires a bit before coming out. With the rain, the old coat of vht has washed away, so it might be a little slicker than normal. If it starts getting warm in the afternoon, you'll be happy you have the 27's. Are you only going to run sedan? I'll be running sedan and F1. If you have an F1 car, bring it! That class is awesome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.