Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree42Likes

Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 07:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yep, I got an email back from Horizon tech support telling me that this morning. Didn't have time to post it here. Thanks for confirming.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:26 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Run #11.

https://youtu.be/XB2nCZZ4VF4
Old 07-27-2016, 07:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

How are the parts holding up so far? And the stock servo? Should I just replace the alum horn or upgrade a high torque servo as well?
Old 07-27-2016, 12:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by croracer
How are the parts holding up so far? And the stock servo? Should I just replace the alum horn or upgrade a high torque servo as well?
It was a bad landing that caused me to take truck apart. Stock servo horn may have stripped. Think the AVC tried to keep wheels straight while truck was cartwheeling. I'd seen another owner change his, and figured this was as good of time as any.
Only have 1 full run with the new servo horn. It does seem to feel better. I did change center diff fluid to 60w. Otherwise it's as it came out the box.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Sand in the gear box

Took her to the river for a spin we have lots of sand and gravel flats that are a blast only got a pack ran thru and herd the dreaded sound of grit in the gear box! Took it home and cleaned it out and replaced the center different fluid I noticed the front wheels unloading too much for my liking and I put a piece of thin foam tape over the gear/motor plate! Will update how it wrks also installed a savox servo and the aluminium servo horn works well!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
In case nobody's posted it yet, here are the 12 screws you have to remove to take off the Baja Rey's rollcage and body in one piece:

Thanks for the tip
Old 07-28-2016, 02:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by croracer
I replaced my servo and servo horn. Spektrum servos never fail to disappoint, unfortunately. The stock servo is analog and doesn't appear to have a ball-bearing around the spline hub, because mine started wobbling after only a few runs. A Hitec HS-7955TG servo and a TLR 24-spline servo horn fixed that problem.

I also replaced the ESC because I prefer a different one that cogs less on startup, and I replaced the AVC receiver with a dumb receiver and a standalone gyro, but there was nothing *wrong* with the stock ESC and receiver.

All the other parts on my Baja Rey are original, and I have not been kind to it -- by my standards, anyway. I don't jump my trucks, but I have driven this one in anger several times (I'm making it pay for my disappointment with the Yeti and the Twin Hammers), and I have a tendency to skid it into small tree trunks for some reason. Everything is holding up well so far.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello all! been lurking around here and have now found another "home" for the Rey. Been on RCC, URC, and now this. Great to pick up little things here and there from all forums. Anyhow, love the Rey and cant wait for the aftermarket to jump on. I know Metal concepts rc has some stuff planned for it and i cant wait to see what they do. Im sure you guys have seen their stuff for the Yeti and other custom builds so i think they will do this truck right in the parts that they have coming.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:05 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by ser3100
Hello all! been lurking around here and have now found another "home" for the Rey. Been on RCC, URC, and now this. Great to pick up little things here and there from all forums. Anyhow, love the Rey and cant wait for the aftermarket to jump on. I know Metal concepts rc has some stuff planned for it and i cant wait to see what they do. Im sure you guys have seen their stuff for the Yeti and other custom builds so i think they will do this truck right in the parts that they have coming.
Not familiar with them. But I'll keep eye out. I don't know about the aftermarket for it. I'm sure there will be few things. But takes time. Usually 6 months or more. I've got 3 year old vehicles the aftermarket has missed on.
Have to see how it sells.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:04 AM
Tech Rookie

just check out metalconceptsrc

If you go on youtube and look up cyconxc, he builds custom trophy trucks from the ground up and uses thier axles. Some sweet stuff! Thier TT10 rear axle for the yeti is drop dead sexy! As well as thier trailing arms and gull wing front A Arms. Check em!
Old 07-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Tech Champion

I'd like to see adjustable forward upper-link mounts, and a hardened-steel rear-center driveshaft. Other than that I'm not really sure what else this truck needs. It's pretty solid right out of the box. Maybe an aluminum center gearbox to avoid potential flexing issues causing gears to mesh improperly, though I've seen no evidence of that actually happening.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by ser3100
just check out metalconceptsrc

If you go on youtube and look up cyconxc, he builds custom trophy trucks from the ground up and uses thier axles. Some sweet stuff! Thier TT10 rear axle for the yeti is drop dead sexy! As well as thier trailing arms and gull wing front A Arms. Check em!
Ok. I'll check. I do recognize the name "cyconxc". No real reason but the Yeti never really caught my attention. I'm not really into the scale thing. Stuff looks good, but not sure if it was more for looks then function.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah I'm gonna pay a visit to MIP sometime Next week to see if anything can fit this or if they can maybe do a prototype or something. I'd like steel rear upper links and maybe aluminum front uppers as well.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:15 PM
Tech Champion

This truck really doesn't need steel upper links. That will just add more unsprung weight. Are you hucking it off cliffs, or what? A little suspension flex is good, it protects the bulkheads from breaking. Trust me, you will not get this particular truck to handle like it's on rails no matter what you do, even the real ones don't handle that well. Embrace its nature of feeling like it's on the edge of losing control and learn to drive it that way.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:06 PM
Tech Rookie

True true. I hear ya on those points.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.