Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 5italkart
my cars in transit using hudy luxury transport. all i need is ned killer fuel
.but does it have Corinthian leather inside?....lol.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinthian_leather
Old 08-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taylorm
.but does it have Corinthian leather inside?....lol.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinthian_leather
can't belive they had a link for that. looks like our last race day will be pan car mania by the time my car gets through it will be the end of this week at the earliest. on vac the week of the 21st so i'll build'er then
Old 08-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
Probably - I have the car I ran at the 77 worlds and am assuming it's the same piece - it's somewhere in a box.
rick can you help me with your sway bar kit , coming up 2mm short on spacers will try too send pm with pics
Old 08-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Joe and Joe, both your cars should be at your doors by the weekend.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

http://www.sgrid.com/forum/showthrea...eely-1970-1980 scroll down to find Lou...awesome old pan car pics
Old 08-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

just found this..very cool
http://www.sgrid.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?32-History
Old 08-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

An excerpt from Ken Campbell's History of Delta RC cars, 1999:

We ran with the Super J in the flat pan classes up until at least 1988; occasionally there is still an attempt to bring back the flat pans, and usually it's a couple Super J's and an MRP or such that show up.

Don't ask, I have no idea why we are not still running a Flat Pan Class. Run Forever for not much $$, real fast, and lots of Pizza Hut Time. When the fully independents came in, in 1982, we lost 2/3 of the US club racers. When the 4-wheel rigs came in, we lost half of that 1/3 remaining.

For you Lurkers out there, yep, I have a standing offer to build a run of 200 Super J cars with YOUR brand on them if you want to try to revive that class. Call me anytime, night or day. Did I mention cash up front?? Hey! Have your own racing Stable! Equipe X !

http://www.sgrid.com/forum/showthrea...DELTA-R-C-Cars
Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

my cars in transit using hudy luxury transport. all i need is ned killer fuel
I use ned killing 45% Byron's fuel. Seems to work.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Lou & ....

http://www.sgrid.com/forum/showthrea...eely-1970-1980 scroll down to find Lou...awesome old pan car pics
Matt,
I wrote to SG some time ago to correct the captions on this picture. It should be Tom McGarry (Detroit). Bill Parcher (Toledo), and Lou. It was taken at the 1977 Winter Nationals in Orlando.

Ned
Old 08-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Default More Toledo Connections

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-sgrid-0100.jpg

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-sgrid-0094.jpg

These Pics are in the "Rattey's..-New York" Folder. Never mind Rattey's was in North Attleboro, Mass! These two are from the MWS Series, Most likely Chicago. (Someone may remember the Radio Impound?)

The three guys looking at a car are Bill Parcher, Herb Zieman, and Me! Notice the early One-Eight Racers patches. The ladies behind the guys are Dianne and Roberta Moody, Roy's daughter and Wife who were fixtures at nearlyl all RC racing activities in the Midwest for many, many years, GREAT People and friends.

ned
Old 08-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Attachment 795621

Attachment 795623

These Pics are in the "Rattey's..-New York" Folder. Never mind Rattey's was in North Attleboro, Mass! These two are from the MWS Series, Most likely Chicago. (Someone may remember the Radio Impound?)

The three guys looking at a car are Bill Parcher, Herb Zieman, and Me! Notice the early One-Eight Racers patches. The ladies behind the guys are Dianne and Roberta Moody, Roy's daughter and Wife who were fixtures at nearlyl all RC racing activities in the Midwest for many, many years, GREAT People and friends.

ned
The light blue car in pic two HAS to be Lou P. that 5 gallon pail lasted for years

Last edited by Rick Davis; 08-15-2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 08-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by garen
An excerpt from Ken Campbell's History of Delta RC cars, 1999:

We ran with the Super J in the flat pan classes up until at least 1988; occasionally there is still an attempt to bring back the flat pans, and usually it's a couple Super J's and an MRP or such that show up.

Don't ask, I have no idea why we are not still running a Flat Pan Class. Run Forever for not much $$, real fast, and lots of Pizza Hut Time. When the fully independents came in, in 1982, we lost 2/3 of the US club racers. When the 4-wheel rigs came in, we lost half of that 1/3 remaining.

For you Lurkers out there, yep, I have a standing offer to build a run of 200 Super J cars with YOUR brand on them if you want to try to revive that class. Call me anytime, night or day. Did I mention cash up front?? Hey! Have your own racing Stable! Equipe X !

http://www.sgrid.com/forum/showthrea...DELTA-R-C-Cars
wow great story so i guess with our pan stuff the saying all thats old is new again? but had a point susp. cars cost 1/2 the entrants ? hope we can bring people back i like the saying fast and lots of pizza hut time
Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Default Lou's Car

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
The light blue car in pic two HAS to be Lou P. that 5 gallon pail lasted for years
And I thought he was such a good driver he never tore up a body ;-)
Old 08-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aarcobra
And I thought he was such a good driver he never tore up a body ;-)
you guys had a great time "back in the day" hope we can revive it.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

you guys had a great time "back in the day" hope we can revive it.
They didn't have anymore fun than they are right now. They just remember it being more fun is all. Kinda like the older we get the faster we use to be. Back then they had to show up and set up the track, spray the track, make a chalk outline on the track to mark the infeild, set up the scoring table, then set up the pit table made of mostly cardboard with a yellow steel frame work. Now they are ready for some practice. Walk up to the frequency board and see if their freq. pin is available. (We'll assume it was) Walk to the support vehicle with car in hand. Get the bump starter hooked up to the battery of the car. Start trying to hit the flywheel while its not on a compression stroke. The engine won't start now because it won't prime its self. Now you'd need to get the attention of someone to put their finger over the stinger on the muffler while they once again bump start their car since you had to hold the car with one hand and the starter with the other. At last the car is fired up and running. Now they can run and get some practice in to learn the fresh new layout for this week. Plus you needed to run in your tires you stayed up late glueing up on a set of wheels. You still have the rubbery glue on your fingers to prove it too. You know if you run them a good amount in practice they should be good for the main. Heavin forbid you chunk one!

Practice is over.

Now we are ready for the fun part. You run your car and put in the run of your life but some how your scored as being three laps off the pace because Lon brought his kid to the races and he doesn't pay much attention when scoring someone elses car. Never mind that for now because you have to go marshal now.

While walking out to marshal you notice some airplane tires cut in half are out of place so you now have to move those back into place. With your area in good order you are ready! You marshaled much the same as we do today except you didn't get to use a chair. You have to be on the ready at all times! I also seem to recall people being in a much bigger hurry for the marshals to get their car back on track and in the race than they do these days. I think it was because if the car flamed out getting it refired was a pain. Now that you have stood in the 100º f heat and marshaled while being yelled at by driver's you get to go sit at the scoring table.

You sit down and figure out which car you are scoring. Once the race starts you have to click this little clicker and write down the number on the clicker for each lap. However the race can't start because the race director who might be you this week over looked two guys are on the same freq. in the same heat. So now someone needs to change crystals in their transmiter and receiver and off course re start his car with a bump starter.

So now you have run your three rounds of qaulifing and run your mains which might have been 30 minutes in 100º F heat.and you are ready to go home. WRONG!!! Now you have to tear down the track and stack it all perfectly into the trailer. If the bottom few boards are wrong then you have to unpack the whole thing again and start from scratch. Also remember no one had a EZ up or anything like it. Even the scoring table offered you zero protection from the beaming sun.

Thats how I recall the good ole days. Thank god for 2.4 radios, personal transponders, starter boxes, EZ ups, permanent canopies, pre-mounted tires, hudy tire truers, and most of all a Permanent track!! (Oh and SHOCKS!!!) lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.