Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 07:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
The RCGT guys would FREAK! If I showed up to run that body!!

Its a GT body! Group C in the US was known as GTP or GT-Prototype.... The Garaiya and the 350R are very close to this. However the spirit of the class would be compromised and I don't want that to happen.

Jimmy W
You're right. RCGT bodys should represent GT Cars. Thanks to Tamiya. They make great detailed body shells. I would buy this Group C Body for having fun on a parking lot and doing drag races. Nothing else. If i ever take part in a RCGT Race (but i don't think so), i will install a more distiguished body for showing off

This 350R is really nice. I like it.

@ CSaddict: I read the entire thread too. I've seen nothing about the 3R shocks. But i got them on my TRF414M and i'm satisfied. Concerning your TB-03 specific questions i have no idea.

For the TB-03 take the 54.5 mm shocks

Last edited by Glinzo; 08-21-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CSaddict
I think I read this entire thread. So addicting.....anywho. Whats the deal with the 3racing shock sets? Is there much difference between those and the Tamiya sets? Do the Tamiya spring sets work with the 3racing shocks? Does Tamiya make an blue anodized set that Im not seeing? Im trying to stay budget minded with the car. Its my first on road.

If this info was listed in the thread previously I didn't see it.

Thanks
David
Hi David!

I haven't used these shocks before, but for general use there probably fine. May even be good for racing as long as there really smooth, and they seal nice and pistons fit well. But if you plan on racing, I would stick to the Tamiya shocks. I know these work. In fact, they are the best shocks out there in my opinion. A guy at my local track even used Tamiya shocks on his xray

Yes Tamiya makes anodized blue shocks. A few different sets actually. Tamiya #42102 is what I use. Comes with springs and everything. The body itself is black though, but I like the way it looks. Jimmy W. (Racecrafter) posted all the Tamiya shock kit part# earlier in the thread as well. They had a few variations. All work very well. Another thing to think about is that if you ever plan on going to a TCS race, you will need the Tamiya shocks to be legal.

If you do some looking online you can find very good prices on Tamiya shocks. Oh and welcome to touring
Old 08-21-2009, 09:04 AM
tns
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Hebiki
at the top, you should see a "site admin" link. click on that.. from there you can go to the "post" link on the left... and go to "add new".

make sure you select the correct categories on the right column. at the bottom just make sure the author listed is yourself.

you can add images, etc... pretty self explanatory. i posted a hopup on there. use that as a template for adding hopups.
I'm looking forward to seeing the site up and running. Thanks for putting in the effort and sharing the knowledge around guys!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tns
I'm looking forward to seeing the site up and running. Thanks for putting in the effort and sharing the knowledge around guys!
the site is for YOU guys.. i get nothing out of it.. well information

the site is located at: www.chrislim.net/tb-03

i do need your guys help gathering info from this thread.. so if u have anything useful that should be "recycled"... let me know ill put it up on the site. pm me or email me the info.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timmie
Hi David!

I haven't used these shocks before, but for general use there probably fine. May even be good for racing as long as there really smooth, and they seal nice and pistons fit well. But if you plan on racing, I would stick to the Tamiya shocks. I know these work. In fact, they are the best shocks out there in my opinion. A guy at my local track even used Tamiya shocks on his xray

Yes Tamiya makes anodized blue shocks. A few different sets actually. Tamiya #42102 is what I use. Comes with springs and everything. The body itself is black though, but I like the way it looks. Jimmy W. (Racecrafter) posted all the Tamiya shock kit part# earlier in the thread as well. They had a few variations. All work very well. Another thing to think about is that if you ever plan on going to a TCS race, you will need the Tamiya shocks to be legal.

If you do some looking online you can find very good prices on Tamiya shocks. Oh and welcome to touring
Ah, very good point about the TCS racing. I bought this car after running my mini in a TCS race. I actually bought 2 minis to race in a local TCS event since there was no offroad that weekend. 1 for me and 1 for a friend that did some work for me.(That was his tip!) We had a blast racing all day and at the end of the day HE WON A TB03 in the raffle! So I bought one too and we plan to race them. I will do the Tamiya shocks then.
Thanks for the insight,
David
Old 08-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Initiate

One question about the 13.5T series:

Which motors do you choose? I mean i am new in all that BL stuff and i bought a 6.5T Orion motor a first. For real racing it's way too powerful and the runtime isn't that long. About 20 minutes i can drive with a 5200 robitronic LiPo. How much runtime can i get out of a 5200 LiPo with a 13.5T Motor?

GM racing is built in germany. The prices are good here. Is a GM motor recommendable?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:57 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

TCS Race Ready TB03 on TamiyaUSA.com
Old 08-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CarKing
TCS Race Ready TB03 on TamiyaUSA.com
That's a nice survey of TB-03 hop-ups, but I really hope readers don't get the impression that the TB-03 needs all that stuff. A good part of that is just aluminum bling. The TB-03 only needs a few upgrades to be a solid car.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bluesxman
That's a nice survey of TB-03 hop-ups, but I really hope readers don't get the impression that the TB-03 needs all that stuff. A good part of that is just aluminum bling. The TB-03 only needs a few upgrades to be a solid car.
And the bare minimum you feel would be what for up grades to race?
Old 08-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Bearing holder, Aluminum + Carbon steering, Spool

With these hop-ups i will start.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CSaddict
And the bare minimum you feel would be what for up grades to race?
I guess that depends on the level of competition. At local amateur races, I'd say that if you're starting with the bone stock kit, you need to at least have:

1) A good set of tires. If I had to pick just one, I'd say Sorex 36Rs. Not sure for TCS.
2) Spring set
3) Quality servo saver
4) Steering assembly
5) Steering link

After that, you're probably looking at a front spool, TRF dampers, and . Heck, maybe they're even more important than what's on my list, but I think taking care of the TB-03's steering slop a major priority in upgrades.

I am really sorry if I came off as too critical, though, and I do like the article. I guess what I like to see is not just a list of hop-ups but a list of priorities and made some commentary on just how important the upgrade is. What should you upgrade first? Does it turn it into a whole new car? Is in a slight improvement where if you do enough of them it might just give you that edge?

I went for a TB-03 in part because it was a whole lot cheaper than an Xray or a 416. I'm the kind of person who wants to know where I should spend my money first for the biggest payoff.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Lord

Default Necessary upgrades

I guess that depends on the level of competition. At local amateur races, I'd say that if you're starting with the bone stock kit, you need to at least have:

1) A good set of tires. If I had to pick just one, I'd say Sorex 36Rs. Not sure for TCS.
2) Spring set
3) Quality servo saver
4) Steering assembly
5) Steering link

After that, you're probably looking at a front spool, TRF dampers, and . Heck, maybe they're even more important than what's on my list, but I think taking care of the TB-03's steering slop a major priority in upgrades.

I am really sorry if I came off as too critical, though, and I do like the article. I guess what I like to see is not just a list of hop-ups but a list of priorities and made some commentary on just how important the upgrade is. What should you upgrade first? Does it turn it into a whole new car? Is in a slight improvement where if you do enough of them it might just give you that edge?

I went for a TB-03 in part because it was a whole lot cheaper than an Xray or a 416. I'm the kind of person who wants to know where I should spend my money first for the biggest payoff.
if you were to ask me..... the universals are the most important hop up for this car. no amount of steering perfection will save you if one of those dog bones pop outs during a race!

in order of importance of necessary "hop ups"
1. universals all around

2. aluminum motor slider (the plastic will deform in extreme heat. better to get the alum. one plus its a very cheap! )

the #3 most important really depends on driving level.

for people just starting out: spring set. no amount of precision steering will help a car that just need some stiffer springs. plus a new driver might not "feel" the steering slop on the track.

for more experienced drivers: if you've been racing for a little bit, you should have some spare springs and have some race experience... so the steering hop up is necessary here.

3B. servo saver

4. sway bar set.

again.. as a racer builds up more and more experience, and stays with tamiya, their tuning aids will grow (springs, suspension blocks, etc). the 4 hopups above will get you race ready. and if you decide this car isnt for you, then the investment isnt as high. but with this thread and the TB-03 being a highly capable car, beginners cant go wrong. experts have already proven its a race worthy machine (Timmie, Jimmy Wright, etc)
Old 08-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Lord

Default front spool....

the car comes with dual diffs.. you can easily build the front diff to be a spool. remove the balls and use card board (same shape as the diff rings) and tighten it down. INSTANT spool!

the TB-03 spool hop up is much more durable though.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Hebiki
for people just starting out: spring set. no amount of precision steering will help a car that just need some stiffer springs. plus a new driver might not "feel" the steering slop on the track.
Feel? Heck, just drive a straight line and watch it weave like a drunken sailor! Now granted, I'd say that half of that can be fixed with a $7 servo saver, but bone stock the steering is absurd. I'll bet on hop'd up steering over new springs.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Feel? Heck, just drive a straight line and watch it weave like a drunken sailor! Now granted, I'd say that half of that can be fixed with a $7 servo saver, but bone stock the steering is absurd. I'll bet on hop'd up steering over new springs.
I agree.

Same thing at the TT-01. Hop-up the steering and you will follow the straights like never before. Modding the steering is the first thing to do in my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.