Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6280Likes

USGT

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DARKSIDE
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list in qualifing order

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
16 J.M. TSR. 15 Xray
18 R.C. TSR T4
19 M.K. Reedy Powered M3 AE TC7
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
How many places are these Ride tires going to be available? Will my LHS be able to order them?
If they haven't already done so, I would get them in contact with Gravity RC, [email protected]
Old 10-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by .crispy
Finally, a useful post!

Any way to measure the OD of the tires at the edge and in the center?
going to start by saying, measuring rubber tires with a caliper sucks

on 24mm wheels looks like outside is around 62.2mm, inside 62.6mm
on 26mm looks like its 62.2 flat across

no I am not measuring the mold joint seam.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
let me put it another way

I wasn't happy with the motor restriction initially, I raised my concerns in private which fell on deaf ears. I never raised it publicly until I saw another mistake being made. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

I have no confidence in any organization that waffles back and forth... someone who approves a motor one day, then changes their mind the next deems them unreliable. I don't blame Trinity, I blame ROAR.

If you want to squash an "Outlaw" motor, by all means eliminate it, I don't care how you do it, make a list of banned motors, but creating collateral damage by choosing a waffle organization like ROAR is a joke.

Now you're adding even more salt to the wounds by creating even more collateral damage with tire restrictions.

By forcing 24mm wheels down everyone's throat, you'll killing off all of the 200mm bodies which further restricts the fun factor of the class. It is not realistic to get 6mm of additional offset on a hex, there simply isn't enough thread to make it work, I've tried.

Comparing 26mm to drifting is very ignorant. I have not noticed any discernible change in my lap times when I swap between a 200mm body with 6mm offset wheels vs a 190mm body with 0mm offsets. I admit that I'm not a pro level driver by any means, but I feel confident enough to be able to tell a difference having a few years of club level experience under my belt.

What I see happening is a shift to a "Touring Car" style class where every single body, wheel and tire looks identical to the next... bore me to tears

USGT is turning into anything but I was initially promised.

It doesn't directly affect me as our local club doesn't follow the same level of insanity, but it indirectly kills the class when regional/national racers like Tommy who choose to jump ship rather than ruffle any feathers over the rule changes. Then not only am I out of having skilled racers to run against, the class is jeopardized locally.

I am begging you guys... please don't screw up a good thing.
Being overly dramatic my friend
We finished up the Scion Spec Series a few months ago using 200mm HPI Bodies. We all ran Sorex tires w/ spoked 24mm wheels. Cars looked fantastic and performed flawlessly. Do the wheels and bodies look 'bored to tears' like or TC car like? I think not.

Also- I used 6mm hex throughout the series along with many others. Wheel axle threading was a NON ISSUE. FYI- making your car wider actually reduces traction so you don't want to run excess off set anyway.

Lastly, some folks glued 24mm tires onto 26mm HPI wheels, again non issue! Cars ran just as fast!

Check out the vid;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aajt38zVE5k

[/QUOTE]
Old 10-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Rodarbal
Bill, no need to get your panties in a bunch.
I hear yeah RJ, just like everyone keeps telling me how great Obamacare is going to be too

Originally Posted by Rodarbal
if you want to revive brushed GT10, there's no one stopping you.
I was sold on the Turnigy electronics, they proved to be equal on expense as the brushed electronics, no need to go back... but also no need for change either.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Sanctioning bodies MUST do what they feel is in the best interest of their members. There will always be a few that push against the rule revisions. I know first hand, because I've been on both sides of the coin. The bottom line is that you can continue to rage against the machine, or you can get on with it and race.

These horses have been dead for quite some time, can we stop beating them now?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I just want to know what happened in Texas??? What class did you guys start then start to roll that class into USGT that has caused you guys to be so upset? I see ramblings about brushed motors and changes to USGT rules. USGT never had any brushed motor rules. There was 1 change to go to ROAR approved motors and now come Jan 1st 2014 there will be a spec tire rule...that makes 2 rule changes both of which clear things up to make it easier for racers. Please let us know what happened in Texas???
Old 10-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

At several points he made comments about "electronics" what made u buy a just stock ? Why didn't not buy a sec from turnagy when u got Ur cheap motor? I know why.... It wasn't legal &cheap... That's why .
What made u think Ur $35 motor was legal? Cause it was cheap? U seem to be that "one " that tries to slip thru the crack in the rules. I'm sure its cheap and fast for a reason it uses a undefined size wire with a wide tolerance with less QC and wasn't sent in for approval cause they want to be able to see that motor for $35 ... So this motor shouldn't be legal to run cause it has unknown sized wire. They can rap that thing with 12g wire 21.5 times since it isn't legal. I feel like I had a part in twisting Mirons hand to have a rule change . I wanted a fast motor to be competitive with the tip tear drivers and found this motor to be along the lines of the D3.5 situation with some of the track star motors ...others had normal wire in them . this tells me QC is not caring that they need a wire that's (??.????????") Size for EvERY single motor ...(that costs money)
Would u all still gripe if the turnegy motor was the spec motor also??? I wouldnt mind a bit . I would buy about 1 a week and at some point I would have a super fast motor that for sure would piss some people off since it was a " spec motor "
Old 10-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Default Let it Go

At this point of the last 4-5 pages, I would ask that everyone let it go.

As has been stated numerous times, USGT was born out of the remains of HPI's RCGT after all of the "boosted" "supercharged" esc's came out and tire wear and usage went through the roof.Which BTW was 17.5

Rob and Kevin as well as a few others spent their own time and money to figure out a "rule set" that made sense with what was readily available.

190/200mm bodies, treaded non-belted 24/26mm tires etc. All were readily available from HPI as well as other's. The non-belted tire clause was put in effect from the beginning due to the fact, at the time, they were considerably faster when used by the right people, however cost more than the other "treaded" options out there.

The USGT rule set, just like the RCGT rule set, was intended (as I see it) for all of the tracks to have a "set" set of rules/guidelines to go by. It just so happens that most of the tracks in the Central Midwest, where USGT was created, are all similar in size, as well as have a large number of folks who travel around to the surrounding other tracks that still remain.

The 21.5 motor has been the specified motor from the beginning of USGT, as has been stated. Most, if not all of the popular brands, at the time, were already being produced within the ROAR specs and it was really a non-issue. Where they all submitted for approval? No. The need to have the "ROAR" approved motor was recently added and adopted simply due to the fact of motors being produced "outside" of ROAR specifications. Short stacks, big wire, funny sensor boards, custom hand built hybrids would have then been the norm.

Would I turn away a racer who shows up for the first time to club race with us here and having a Turnigy motor in theirs cars? Nope. Would I offer for him/her to use one of ours, sure thing.

My son and I both have "Outlaw" versions of our 21.5's and have only been run in testing. If we felt the need, at an event that allowed ANY 21.5, would we run them? Probably not.

The USGT rule set is a guideline/standard for all of us to follow, bottom line. If a local club or track chooses to alter them to best fit their club/track's patrons and customers, then that is their choice, a choice that they feel is best for them.

Last edited by ercwhtsd; 10-24-2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
I just want to know what happened in Texas??? What class did you guys start then start to roll that class into USGT that has caused you guys to be so upset? I see ramblings about brushed motors and changes to USGT rules. USGT never had any brushed motor rules. There was 1 change to go to ROAR approved motors and now come Jan 1st 2014 there will be a spec tire rule...that makes 2 rule changes both of which clear things up to make it easier for racers. Please let us know what happened in Texas???
A real quick explanation....

Locally (in Austin) we had a class called GT10. It just so happened to have nearly identical rules to USGT with two exceptions: the motor was an Axial 27t brushed motor and the ESC was a Tazer brushed ESC. Other than those two changes it was nearly identical to USGT, but was around since before USGT was known (or started?).

I (and some others) loved the class, but hated brused motors so we asked the RD to allow the USGT class to run *in addition* to all other classes. It just so happened that it took off and many GT10 drivers got rid of their junky brushed stuff and bought brushless electronics.

Sadly, I had to sell my USGT when I was without a job. Got a new job and the car I bought was set up for 17.5 Blinky. It may be converted to USGT eventually.

Anyway, that's all there is to it. Not everyone in Texas is upset about the changes to the rules. I've said my peace about the tire width and am done with that topic.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey boys, what is happening here? bunch of drama for what? This is a hobby. I joined in this hobby to have fun. You boys getting rich playing with these toy cars? You guys that own these tracks getting rich? Changing rules costs money when it is done on a tight timeline. Hope I can wear out 5 sets of Xpatterns before they aren't legal to use, if not I'm stuck with them. It would be nice if there was a little more warning so that people could wear out the old stuff and switch over as they need to replace it.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong
Old 10-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
We finished up the Scion Spec Series a few months ago using 200mm HPI Bodies. We all ran Sorex tires w/ spoked 24mm wheels. Cars looked fantastic and performed flawlessly. Do the wheels and bodies look 'bored to tears' like or TC car like? I think not.

Also- I used 6mm hex throughout the series along with many others. Wheel axle threading was a NON ISSUE. FYI- making your car wider actually reduces traction so you don't want to run excess off set anyway.

Lastly, some folks glued 24mm tires onto 26mm HPI wheels, again non issue! Cars ran just as fast!
Thats great info Mike, and it settles the small reservations that I had about it the new rule. I wasn't crazy about it, but I was onboard. I still am. Now if you don't mind. Get to work on the carbon fiber conversion for the SD Yokomo that has just been rereleased.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommy R
A real quick explanation....

Locally (in Austin) we had a class called GT10. It just so happened to have nearly identical rules to USGT with two exceptions: the motor was an Axial 27t brushed motor and the ESC was a Tazer brushed ESC. Other than those two changes it was nearly identical to USGT, but was around since before USGT was known (or started?).

I (and some others) loved the class, but hated brused motors so we asked the RD to allow the USGT class to run *in addition* to all other classes. It just so happened that it took off and many GT10 drivers got rid of their junky brushed stuff and bought brushless electronics.

Sadly, I had to sell my USGT when I was without a job. Got a new job and the car I bought was set up for 17.5 Blinky. It may be converted to USGT eventually.

Anyway, that's all there is to it. Not everyone in Texas is upset about the changes to the rules. I've said my peace about the tire width and am done with that topic.
Thank you for taking the time to explain what is happening down there for you guys in Texas. I hope it will all work out for you guys and everyone can play with their toys and have a good time.

Originally Posted by jagr68
Hey boys, what is happening here? bunch of drama for what? This is a hobby. I joined in this hobby to have fun. You boys getting rich playing with these toy cars? You guys that own these tracks getting rich? Changing rules costs money when it is done on a tight timeline. Hope I can wear out 5 sets of Xpatterns before they aren't legal to use, if not I'm stuck with them. It would be nice if there was a little more warning so that people could wear out the old stuff and switch over as they need to replace it.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong
I wish I only had 5 sets of tires that I need to burn up...I have far more than that. Talk with your track owner or race director and see if you can use your tires up before following the new rules. I help run a race series and we are allowing people to use their existing tires for the entire series that ends in March.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

MikeR do you know what kind of wheels these are? Pretty sweet
Old 10-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

They are pretty sweet.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Tech Champion

Rob and Kevin, how about making the date to switch over at the Scale Nats in April.

Thats 6 months for ppl to get it together

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.