Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Fastest guys at the NW regional were running either a Thunder Power or R1. The speed between the two seemed on par, yet were rockets compared to everything else. I borrowed a D3 to race, and had to borrow a Reedy Sonic after the second qualie just to keep up. Finished 2nd overall, so I was pretty stoked, considering the massive disadvantage in HP.

As always though, a clean race and decent setup will help compensate for a lack of HP. I had a pretty clean Main, despite being slower than some of the heavy hitters. I'm not about to complain though, our mini field was STACKED this year. Some epic close-quarter racing went down!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Check out the lap times from the Jackson TCS race. I ran an R1 at 30 degrees timing and I believe Jamie was running a thunder power (not sure about timing). The average 15 laps were within a tenth of each other. Can't go wrong with either. I was told I could have run more timing in the R1 as the motor can take the heat. My motor came off at 137.
Carl, do you know how much heat the R1 motors can take? What timing and what temps? Thanks!

Also, has anyone compared the R1 v. Killshot 21.5r v. Thunder Power?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
as a side note
I want to congratulate Carls sons, Mike and Andrew on a fine outing this past weekend
With a little more practice they will be a force to be watched on the track!
Thank you KA@AEV (name?). This is their 2nd TCS race and they love it. I think they love the curbs at jackson for the sake of jumping. For those looking to get a new be involved in RC, there is not better chassis than a Tamiya TT-01 RTR. Virtually bullet proof.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by markpoleon
Carl, do you know how much heat the R1 motors can take? What timing and what temps? Thanks!

Also, has anyone compared the R1 v. Killshot 21.5r v. Thunder Power?
I had both an M03 and M05v2 identically set-up for this race. Each has stock spec speedo and R1 motors. Both set at 30 degrees, the M03 motor came off at 137 and the M05v2 came off at 170. The difference is there is more cooling with the m03 as I had the fan closer to the motor and the M05v2 has the motor more in-line and covered.

The 170 temp appears fine as the motor was still strong. Unfortunately, I cracked the suspension arm in practice with my m05v2 due to the the wrong model setting in my radio and had a runaway car. I would have loved to see which car was better overall for me. I was TQ with the M03 by a hundredths of a second and came in second to Jamie who ran an M05v2. Our lap times were close, so the M05v2 has potential versus the M05.

For motors, I've smoked a killshot after one run, you need to be careful with the timing setting. The Thunder power appears to comparable to the R1, but if i had to chose a motor my recommendation would be R1, Reedy, ThunderPower. good luck. In my opinion, heat is an enemy in electric racing, so best to keep the motor no more than 160. but some may disagree. Better to ask Steve on the R1 forum.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gearhead_22
what battery are you guy using in you M05? I have a reedy 3000 sport pack in my and this past weekend at the TCS race and my mini just didn't have the punch like the other guys. this was my first time running it with a brushless motor, it was a novak ballistic 21.5.

Oh no. Am I gonna have to race you in Mini, too, Juwan? You kicking my a** in VTA not enough for you?

Can't wait for the fall to arrive. This class is gonna be CRAZY indoors.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Thanks!

I had both an M03 and M05v2 identically set-up for this race. Each has stock spec speedo and R1 motors. Both set at 30 degrees, the M03 motor came off at 137 and the M05v2 came off at 170. The difference is there is more cooling with the m03 as I had the fan closer to the motor and the M05v2 has the motor more in-line and covered.

The 170 temp appears fine as the motor was still strong. Unfortunately, I cracked the suspension arm in practice with my m05v2 due to the the wrong model setting in my radio and had a runaway car. I would have loved to see which car was better overall for me. I was TQ with the M03 by a hundredths of a second and came in second to Jamie who ran an M05v2. Our lap times were close, so the M05v2 has potential versus the M05.

For motors, I've smoked a killshot after one run, you need to be careful with the timing setting. The Thunder power appears to comparable to the R1, but if i had to chose a motor my recommendation would be R1, Reedy, ThunderPower. good luck. In my opinion, heat is an enemy in electric racing, so best to keep the motor no more than 160. but some may disagree. Better to ask Steve on the R1 forum.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

There's a M05v2 in the FS section. FYI

FS: M05v2
Old 08-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I saw a Killshot in one of the local really fast guys cars a few weeks ago. Assuming it was an RPM version. Running a 13.5 killshot in my Sprint Car and it works well. What motor is the R1?
Old 08-01-2014, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rramjet
I saw a Killshot in one of the local really fast guys cars a few weeks ago. Assuming it was an RPM version. Running a 13.5 killshot in my Sprint Car and it works well. What motor is the R1?
Check out www.r1wurks.com

You won't disappointed... provided Steve has any in stock
Old 08-02-2014, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Mate, may i know what diff you're using? i'm keen in racing my M03, but can't fit in the 3racing gear diff.

Thanks mate. Do share some images of your ride *drool
Old 08-03-2014, 12:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If he's running TCS, it'll be a Tamiya diff.

Assembled some tires today using the new/old S Grips I got last week and some of the new super hard foams. They assembled much more easily than with regular hard foams and the current squishy tires. Overall, they don't feel a lot firmer than the usual foams, but I think they'll have a positive effect on tread squirm and the edge of the tire rolling under.

BTW: Glued the foams by applying a little Elmer's Spray Adhesive to the ends, letting them sit for 15 minutes, then sticking them together and inserting into the tire immediately. Works well, no hard spots.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi, need help to setup my t-05 ver.2 because the tail makes its own thing. The car is oversteered and in the corner entry (on asphalt), if I cut the throttle the tail goes round and a "back drift" is programmed. The tires are "Mini Radial Pre-Mount Rubber Tire Medium 24~32deg" Toe front 0deg, toe in bak ~2deg, camber front and bak ~1,5deg. Medium wheelbase.

Hope someone can help...

Thanks!

Last edited by Bigmic; 08-03-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What color springs do you have installed? Type of shocks?
Need more info on your setup if you want us to help
Old 08-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bigmic
Hi, need help to setup my t-05 ver.2 because the tail makes its own thing. The car is oversteered and in the corner entry (on asphalt), if I cut the throttle the tail goes round and a "back drift" is programmed. The tires are "Mini Radial Pre-Mount Rubber Tire Medium 24~32deg" Toe front 0deg, toe in bak ~2deg, camber front and bak ~1,5deg. Medium wheelbase.

Hope someone can help...

Thanks!
Sure, and let us know if you've ever run a Mini before. Also, have you asked the "local" Mini guys and they've had no luck with your problems.

Your question has been asked several times, so you might do a little research in this thread.

Have no idea from your post, as to what kind of tires you are running. I suspect that the majority of your problems are in the tire selection. You might have to go to a 36 or even a 40 for your front tire. Not knowing the make of tire this is just a wild guess.

Last edited by Granpa; 08-03-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: correction
Old 08-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
What color springs do you have installed? Type of shocks?
Need more info on your setup if you want us to help
Original shocks with ~400 oil from the v2 kit, and yellow springs in the front and red in the back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.