Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 05:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kevin, I race at Kinetics, you should come join us some Thursday! Or just join the FB group for info. We have some very knowledgeable guys and the class has a very loyal following.

Keep it to TCS rules. I was originally against this, as Tamiya hopups are so much more expensive, but the quantity of other aftermarket hopups means people will feel they will need to dump TC money into their cars. We allow any body because there are a lot of fun options but other than that we follow TCS. A couple of us race silvercans, the rest race BL probably just because people think a $75 motor has to be better than a $15 one. One of our racers who consistently places in the top has a 100% box stock car aside from bearings (even uses friction shocks!). At the club level, these cars are all about the driver. Hopups and setting adjustments do make a big difference in handling but overall laps times remain the same because clean, consistent lines are what wins. Bearings, shocks (the super minis are a cheap, as-good alternative to the pricey TRF ones) and S-grip tires are the only things we've found to be highly recommended, everything else you can easily live without.

To start the class, get a couple guys to get minis. Once other racers realize that you really can take a $150 car, go from kit to track and be competitive, they'll be hooked. People get tired of chasing the next magical must-have part and enjoy getting back to just plain racing. Also a great class for newbies, because the kit is super easy to build, its cheap and these things can take a beating.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

P.S.- Another good reason to stick to TCS rules is that that's what all the area tracks do. Easier to get other racers to buy in if they know they can go to any track without rebuilding their car.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sad_rocc
Kevin, I race at Kinetics, you should come join us some Thursday! Or just join the FB group for info. We have some very knowledgeable guys and the class has a very loyal following.

Keep it to TCS rules. I was originally against this, as Tamiya hopups are so much more expensive, but the quantity of other aftermarket hopups means people will feel they will need to dump TC money into their cars. We allow any body because there are a lot of fun options but other than that we follow TCS. A couple of us race silvercans, the rest race BL probably just because people think a $75 motor has to be better than a $15 one. One of our racers who consistently places in the top has a 100% box stock car aside from bearings (even uses friction shocks!). At the club level, these cars are all about the driver. Hopups and setting adjustments do make a big difference in handling but overall laps times remain the same because clean, consistent lines are what wins. Bearings, shocks (the super minis are a cheap, as-good alternative to the pricey TRF ones) and S-grip tires are the only things we've found to be highly recommended, everything else you can easily live without.

To start the class, get a couple guys to get minis. Once other racers realize that you really can take a $150 car, go from kit to track and be competitive, they'll be hooked. People get tired of chasing the next magical must-have part and enjoy getting back to just plain racing. Also a great class for newbies, because the kit is super easy to build, its cheap and these things can take a beating.
Thanks for the input. I really want to get out there. The issue is it's a 2 hour drive, one way, on a week night. So it means getting home really late. I'd love to see them host a Saturday or Sunday race for these here and there over the winter.. or if any of our tracks pick up the class with any sort of regularity, I'd be willing to help plan a small "tour" type of series.. 3 races, etc.

I do plan to stick to TCS as close as possible (for my own car, and rule recommendations to anyone who listens). I'm just exploring options. As others have pointed out, I am a little worried on the motor thing. Everyone and their brother has spare 17.5's over here.. but virtually nobody except CRC 1/12 guys have a 21.5 in their bin. Folks like me have spare HW Justock's and other blinky esc's. So, it makes sense for me to just buy a motor and not have to fuss with brushed. But I don't want to have to RE-BUY a motor if I find out the D4 is 10 seconds faster in a mini than a D3.5, etc. A spec motor, be it the CRC one or the HW Quicrun I linked earlier would alleviate those worries.. but then, as you said, you limit the ability to go track to track w/o changes. Especially since both those motors are not "ROAR" approved.

I just want to see it succeed out the gate because it does in fact seem to be a class that would fill a huge void here on the carpet.. An easily affordable class that is competitive and fun.. with limited options to break the rules. I would agree with open body, with an emphasis on sticking to scale bodies. I'm not sure I'd be into seeing guys run stuff like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LANCIA-STRAT...item2304cb6a77 ?

As for starting the class, we already have 3 cars ready to go (or will be in the next couple weeks). I have a test session in place to figure out what tires/motors are ideal for our type of carpet.. and from there we might gain interest from anyone that stops in. Word of mouth seems to be spreading too. Your last paragraph describes perfectly why I think this class will be a success with very little effort. People also love racing "scale" cars.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

could someone tell me the part number/tree for the chassis extender for the m05?, I want to do 225 mm wheelbase. I have a used 210mm cooper w no extra parts.

hilariously someone that my local track tried to run an HPI stratos body on a m05...had to cut thru the body to clear the front shock towers.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by firefoxussr
could someone tell me the part number/tree for the chassis extender for the m05?, I want to do 225 mm wheelbase. I have a used 210mm cooper w no extra parts.

hilariously someone that my local track tried to run an HPI stratos body on a m05...had to cut thru the body to clear the front shock towers.
Read the manual. You can download the manual at the Tamiya USA website. It's not hard to do and if memory serves me correctly does not require any change in parts.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sad_rocc
I was originally against this, as Tamiya hopups are so much more expensive, but the quantity of other aftermarket hopups means people will feel they will need to dump TC money into their cars. We allow any body because there are a lot of fun options but other than that we follow TCS.
Dangit! I wanted to stay off of here today, but here i am.

What quantity of aftermarket parts is there that would take someone's mini into TC territory? I can think of only one type of part available in the aftermarket that isn't offered by Tamiya: oil filled diff. Every other part I'm aware of is just a cheaper version of what Tamiya makes. I can even think of a few things Tamiya makes that no one else does.

I'm not advocating going full aftermarket. Tamiya parts are of superior quality in almost all cases. My M-05 steering linkage and front axles are the extent of my non-Tamiya collection. (Yeah Racing and 3Racing, respectively.) My Tamiya front uprights cost more than those two items combined. Tamiya tires almost double that.

You idea about bodies hits the nail on the head. There is a lot of variety available and costs are much more reasonable. If I can get a good quality shell from Blitz for $20, why pay $40+ for Tamiya?

I'm really glad TCS doesn't factor into our decision making.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I'm really glad TCS doesn't factor into our decision making.
+1

Kevin if your club is anywhere near another club who uses different rules, talking between the clubs is always the best way to go. Going full aftermarket while another club sticks to TCS will only generate issues.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Read the manual. You can download the manual at the Tamiya USA website. It's not hard to do and if memory serves me correctly does not require any change in parts.
Thanks, forgot to look! You're indeed correct. Looks like even M05L config doesn't require additional parts (just M config with flipped rear lower arms).

Pretty cool Tamiya.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

None of the wheelbases for the M-05 require any additional parts. Flip the arms over and POOF! they fit.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Default is it sunday yet....?

...three more days til TCS at Jackson(NJ.)Good luck to all whom will be there.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
None of the wheelbases for the M-05 require any additional parts. Flip the arms over and POOF! they fit.
POOF?.....
Old 07-25-2014, 12:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by tony gray
POOF?.....
That was just for you and the rest of the Oz crew.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I got some S Grips in the mail today. Look to be old ones! Cardboard boxes, not squishy. Should be interesting with the new hard inserts.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:51 AM
Tech Adept

This is my Mini cooper and Honda CR-X
-
Old 07-28-2014, 04:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Nice job on the CRX.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.