Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 09:49 PM
Tech Adept

hi psycho,

will use the 0.4 and 0.6 instead.thanx for replying.
Cheers...
Old 04-19-2003, 01:43 AM
Tech Regular

Default TA03 parts and upgrades!

Hi guys,

I got myself a TA03F... old old car... hehehe
but I really love this car. A ton of fun. An awesome rally car too!

I'm looking for a few parts and upgrades that people wanna sell cuz I know this car has so much potential.

Most notably, does anyone have plastic or aluminum tamiya shocks? I'm looking for that cuz I got HPI shocks right now.

There's a few other parts... in fact, I have an entire list.
I basically wanna upgrade my car while making it TCS ready.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

I converted my TA03 into a rally car. I basically took the David Jun car and picked up an R tub chassis for it. It has great balance and is pretty fast. I would pick up a set of Tamiya's goldish color alum TRF shocks. They weigh exactly the same amount as the plastic shocks and should hold up much better in rally. The goldish ones are the smoothest shocks on the market by any manufacturer, imo.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default rally

Will you be racing @ Tamiya in June?
Old 04-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

I'll be there, but I haven't decided what classes to run. I already qualified for the final in GT3 and GT2, so I think I may run GT3 and tarmac rally in June. I really like rally. We set up our rally courses where there are some jumps, bumps and obstacles to negotiate in addition to the rest of the road course. I'm pretty sure that's the TA does it that way as well. I already bought a few sets of tires, so my car is ready to go. How about you? I haven't been to TA's track before. A few of my buddies have and they said it's a pretty nice track. It should be fun.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: TA03 parts and upgrades!

Originally posted by dugrant153
Hi guys,

I got myself a TA03F... old old car... hehehe
but I really love this car. A ton of fun. An awesome rally car too!

I'm looking for a few parts and upgrades that people wanna sell cuz I know this car has so much potential.

Most notably, does anyone have plastic or aluminum tamiya shocks? I'm looking for that cuz I got HPI shocks right now.

There's a few other parts... in fact, I have an entire list.
I basically wanna upgrade my car while making it TCS ready.
I have 2 Ta03F chassis lying around doing nothing. They are 90% Complete. If you want any parts Just PM me. They are standard TA03F chassis though but you may want some back up spares. Let me know

Steevo
Old 07-21-2003, 09:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by monster_sg
hi all,

I was wondering if it is still possible to buy RRP gears for tamiya TA03.The part no. is RRP-8801.

Thanx for all ur help & advice in advance,pls email me at [email protected]

Cheers.....
Tower Hobbies still carries that... use the search engine and you should be able to find it... i have seen it myself
Old 07-27-2003, 09:05 AM
Tech Rookie

hi guys i got myself a ta03f when it first came out but i didn't know anythng about r/c
i bought i lot of hopups for it without even knowing what they are and my car is loaded with alloy parts
i feel so bad right now because i was so stupid....
anyways i have decided that i'm not going to let all that money to go to waste and i'm going to learn about r/c and mayb race with my ta03f
i have a question about gears and gear pitches and am wondering if you guys can help me out
i understand that the ta03f has a 0.6 module gear when it is stock
i find that the car runs really loud and want to change the gear to a higher pitch but i don't know what to do since the tamiya gears are in modules
the guy at my hobby store told me that if i buy a ball differential, it comes with a 0.4 module spur in the package but does that mean i have to change all my other gears and the pinion?
and what is this white gear set that i have read about, is it the speed tuned gears or does it come with the original kit?
thank you very much for your help
Old 07-27-2003, 06:48 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Just got done running the TCS race with my TA03R-S car. I ran the GT2 class (stock) and qualified 4th in the A main. I finished 2nd overall and lost by less than a car length. If I wouldn't have hit a plow disk I would have won the main. I was only less than 1/2 car length behind the winner. Pretty good for the only non TA04 in the main. This car can still get it done but it does need to work good in order to keep up. It was well worth the effort and in my eyes I won because I could have just as easily won.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:02 PM
Tech Rookie

wow that's awesome man
Old 07-28-2003, 05:02 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I'm getting closer everytime I run that car. I have more stuff I can do to it to make it even faster. It just takes me time since I don't run this car too much. It is very easy to drive though and is very smooth.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Congrats, wyd. I guess I'll see you in Sept at TA's track!

aznpoon The ball diffs will work with either the white or black gears. There is a white 0.4 gear set that should be around $7 or $8 that will quiet the car down. You might want to buy a couple of them in case you strip out the spurgear as the result of a frontend impact. Sometimes the motor has the tendency to slide forward during a hard crash and you can strip the gears out if you're not careful. Other than that, the car is bulletproof. I've been racing my car in the R configuration in rally and it's very nicely balanced and fun to race in that class.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:59 PM
Tech Rookie

thanx very much for your help, i think i will try to get my hands on the 0.4 module gears
what are the speed tuned gears?
will they improve the car's performance significantly?
also, what do you guys use to measure toe in and toe out?
do you have a special gauge for it?
Old 07-28-2003, 01:01 PM
Tech Rookie

and what about batteries you guys?
right now i have tamiya batteries, i've been trying to look up info on which type of batteries to use but i can't really find any
Old 07-28-2003, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

I think the "speed tuned" gears may be the same thing. The way you can tell they are the 0.4 gears is that they are white. The black ones are the 0.6 pitch gears that come on the standard kit. Just for the record, the car is still pretty noisy with the 0.4 pitch gears. I use them because there is a finer gearing change as you change the size of pinion gear. In theory, they should have less friction and therefore improve performance, but I don't think it's noticable. I have an Integy setup guage set that I use to adjust the toe up front. There, of course, is no rear toe adjustment. The same guage set also lets you accurately set the camber if you get the adjustable upper link tierod set. Since I run rally and have a lot of suspension movement, I really need the adjustable upper links. If you run the car around 5mm ride height, the fixed upper links should be around 1 degree of negative camber as I recall. If you don't have a guage set, you can pretty much eyeball the toe setting. Since the steering tierods are not turnbuckles, it's easy to get them both adjusted exactly the same.

As far as batteries go, I like the Panasonic Gold 3000's and that's what I use on my TA03 and F201. There are many companies that make stickpacks with them. You should have no problem finding stickpacks. The older GP 3300's and Sanyo 2400 nicd packs don't fit very well, though, so you might bring your car with you to the hobby shop to make sure the packs fit. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.