TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 01:22 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by forrestgump_22
Is there any advantage running the +3 rear hubs on the standard 3 gear setup? I just purchased a used buggy with these installed. I know their used on the laydown but unsure about the standard setup.
It'll free up the rear of the car, but probably too much.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Hey frank I tried the suggestions on the car this past weekend you gave me. Went to a associated white front spring and Lf white rear spring, and went to a 1.6 front piston, but have not got the 1.7 rear yet. It really helped the car, it steers the way I want it to now. But I'm still searching for a little more rear traction. Now I'm not looking for a ton more but roughly 10 percent more or so if I put a number on it. The car is almost there for me. Things I have tried, moving rear hubs forward, moving the battery in a bunch of positions. I seem to like it using battery foam and about 5mm from the waterfall. All the way back took to much steering away. Any suggestions would be great
Old 09-26-2016, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tony montana
Hey frank I tried the suggestions on the car this past weekend you gave me. Went to a associated white front spring and Lf white rear spring, and went to a 1.6 front piston, but have not got the 1.7 rear yet. It really helped the car, it steers the way I want it to now. But I'm still searching for a little more rear traction. Now I'm not looking for a ton more but roughly 10 percent more or so if I put a number on it. The car is almost there for me. Things I have tried, moving rear hubs forward, moving the battery in a bunch of positions. I seem to like it using battery foam and about 5mm from the waterfall. All the way back took to much steering away. Any suggestions would be great
Have you tried lowering your rear roll centre. If you put the 0mm insert into the rear camber block. It made a big difference for me getting on the power.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is that reducing the antisquat?
Old 09-27-2016, 02:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ryan432greening
Is that reducing the antisquat?
No, he's talking about the rear aluminum camber block (the one with -1, 0, & +1 markings), and holds the vertical ball studs.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My local track is very low traction clay outdoor. Should i invest in a 4 gear trans or stick with the 3 gear. I have been sruggling for rear grip even with added weight at the back
Old 09-27-2016, 09:22 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana
I'd start with the 1.7 pistons you're currently missing from all of the recent setups
Old 09-27-2016, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crusty
My local track is very low traction clay outdoor. Should i invest in a 4 gear trans or stick with the 3 gear. I have been sruggling for rear grip even with added weight at the back
It's one of the least expensive upgrades you can buy and it does exactly what you need. I have run the 4 gear most of the outdoor season and only time where the 3 gear felt better was higher grip or grooved up tracks. The 4 gear will give the car the feeling of more steering as you enter corners so be prepared to adjust for that.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

Regarding the Laydown Conversion, is there a spur gear cover included? In every pic I only see the gears shown uncovered, with the slipper spring/nut poking out through the new body. Does the new body act as a gear cover? If so, does it do a good job of keeping the gears free of dust and debris?
Old 09-29-2016, 06:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Bonhomme
Regarding the Laydown Conversion, is there a spur gear cover included? In every pic I only see the gears shown uncovered, with the slipper spring/nut poking out through the new body. Does the new body act as a gear cover? If so, does it do a good job of keeping the gears free of dust and debris?
although I haven't made the shift to the laydown yet, I have opted to remove the dust cover to help shed about 17g of weight for stock racing... as my pseudo gear cover, I'm using a Yokomo YZ-2 body to help cover my gears a little better, it's not perfect but it helps reduce my car weight and lowers the CG

Old 09-30-2016, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

2 questions for Frank,

1, what effect does running the spindle shims like dakotah does have on the handling

2, my dirt laydown is loud. i mean really loud...i hae cleaned and greased the gears, it has done it since i got it, i have changed the sour gear and the pinion gear, i expect some noise with the metal on metal gears, but this squeel is something, my car is noticably louder than other cars at the track.

Ideas??

as always, thank you
Old 09-30-2016, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I don't know what a sour gear is but I have something that we can put on your gears and it should quiet it down.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

My dirt laydown is also very loud. I've changed every part except the case so I'm assuming that is the culprit. I've also noticed other 3.0 dirt laydown cars at the track starting to get noisy, I'd like to find out what's causing this.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kraig
I don't know what a sour gear is but I have something that we can put on your gears and it should quiet it down.
Spur gear perhaps?
Old 09-30-2016, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

ya ya...spur gear....and i am not sure i want you spunk on my gears...lol

i wish i still had my areo lube from back in the day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.