Like Tree62Likes

Let's talk modified 1/12

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by robk
Nightmares become realities

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
21.5T?!? Is the pinion bigger than the spur, at that point?
Old 12-03-2016, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ive seen a lot of guys say they will quit 12th scale or rc in general if 12th goes to rubber tires, or if mod becomes blinky, or if bodies are changed, or whatever.. i just want to be the first to say fu@k it. I'll still be racing long after these rule changes and still having fun
Old 12-03-2016, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
It's like watching a racehorse with a broken leg. Self-imposed arthritis on what should be fast and fun.

Driving mod really isn't that hard. It just requires a slightly different set of skills, and more throttle/brake finesse.

Example of modified club racing:

+ YouTube Video
Old 12-03-2016, 06:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme
Try them on your 1/8 nitro first
We did, and only in the rain, on dry pavement they get torn to shreds, we still run "Big" foam �� But Ufra has some nice wet foams too, so the days of rubber wets are numbered.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racermac73
Ive seen a lot of guys say they will quit 12th scale or rc in general if 12th goes to rubber tires, or if mod becomes blinky, or if bodies are changed, or whatever.. i just want to be the first to say fu@k it. I'll still be racing long after these rule changes and still having fun
Me too.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

+ YouTube Video
Wow, that was underwhelming.

I'd run it if that was all that was left.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I posted that just to watch everybody cry.

Thanks for obliging me.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racermac73
Lol
Old 12-04-2016, 02:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default what to do, what to do...

Maybe a hybrid solution would be to have the entry level class, stock, be run on rubber tires and if desired even different bodies if that creates more interest as well, and allow open mod to stay open mod as it is. I only race open mod, so it is my perspective to not lose that class as it is. The reasons I think it maybe okay to see rubber tires would be to help take some aspects of foam tires on pan cars to a simpler level for new racers. Make one tire as the only one used. Although it seems at least the spec foam tire has helped a little already. Being a bit slower overall, maybe power self limiting because of the nature of the rubber tires, and that in turn requiring better driving practices to get around, deal with traffic, etc. is a good thing. Slower speeds should be good for newer drivers should not be frowned upon, as I see sarcasm in some of the comments in the last few posts. At least some also agree to racing as being enjoyable, no matter what is decided. The competition and camaraderie is what we also enjoy.

Anyway, the classes should be set up to create better drivers first, then they will be able to graduate to mod class in the future. New drivers don't need extra things to deal with, they need to learn how to drive. Set-up knowledge is good to learn, but really if they can't drive, how will they be able to tell if the tuning they are doing on the car is really working well if they can't drive consistently. Also, it shouldn't cost a lot for these new racers. Having to buy the latest motor or battery to be able to compete will see us lose the new racer just as quickly as we get them. The stock classes need to help eliminate this problem, whatever method, some kind of regs that keep these kinds of wars from happening, FDR, timing, RPM limiting, whatever it takes. It is a decision that the manufacturers need to make. Do they want more people racing, or do they want the few we have to just keep buying into the "purchase my latest because its better than the other brand, look my team driver (running something that the general public doesn't get to actually buy) just proved it"? Do you want to see more racers? Make it reasonable for new racers and it has the best chance at growth. The, current, other method usually ends in a decline of racers, less exposure, so a decline of interest and eventually only three of us diehards racing.
What do you see happening out there?

-a
Old 12-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldrcr
Maybe a hybrid solution would be to have the entry level class, stock, be run on rubber tires and if desired even different bodies if that creates more interest as well, and allow open mod to stay open mod as it is. I only race open mod, so it is my perspective to not lose that class as it is. The reasons I think it maybe okay to see rubber tires would be to help take some aspects of foam tires on pan cars to a simpler level for new racers. Make one tire as the only one used. Although it seems at least the spec foam tire has helped a little already. Being a bit slower overall, maybe power self limiting because of the nature of the rubber tires, and that in turn requiring better driving practices to get around, deal with traffic, etc. is a good thing. Slower speeds should be good for newer drivers should not be frowned upon, as I see sarcasm in some of the comments in the last few posts. At least some also agree to racing as being enjoyable, no matter what is decided. The competition and camaraderie is what we also enjoy.

Anyway, the classes should be set up to create better drivers first, then they will be able to graduate to mod class in the future. New drivers don't need extra things to deal with, they need to learn how to drive. Set-up knowledge is good to learn, but really if they can't drive, how will they be able to tell if the tuning they are doing on the car is really working well if they can't drive consistently. Also, it shouldn't cost a lot for these new racers. Having to buy the latest motor or battery to be able to compete will see us lose the new racer just as quickly as we get them. The stock classes need to help eliminate this problem, whatever method, some kind of regs that keep these kinds of wars from happening, FDR, timing, RPM limiting, whatever it takes. It is a decision that the manufacturers need to make. Do they want more people racing, or do they want the few we have to just keep buying into the "purchase my latest because its better than the other brand, look my team driver (running something that the general public doesn't get to actually buy) just proved it"? Do you want to see more racers? Make it reasonable for new racers and it has the best chance at growth. The, current, other method usually ends in a decline of racers, less exposure, so a decline of interest and eventually only three of us diehards racing.
What do you see happening out there?

-a
Excellent post, oldrcr. You get it.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Entry level could be 17.5 spec motors like the new Trinity/Hobbywing models that are handed out, and ran with a predetermined FDR. Use a Trinity lipo factory 1s or something similarly cheap. Specify an esc such as the integy for $50 or something similar. Spec (foam!!) tires and everybody is ready to rock and roll on the cheap.

Might have to build a few of these to have as loaners...
Old 12-11-2016, 02:49 PM
Tech Lord

I thought this thread was about 1/12 mod?
Old 12-11-2016, 05:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
I thought this thread was about 1/12 mod?
+1
After running 17.5 1/12 this weekend... I cannot wait to run something faster. Gotta work on that slow game.... And spec tires need some vastly different setups too
Old 12-11-2016, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

Blinky open motor was great at the Champs. I thought it had good speed and cars were easier to drive. It is still difficult, but I think with this configuration, it is achievable.

Steve
Old 12-12-2016, 06:10 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by hanulec
+1
After running 17.5 1/12 this weekend... I cannot wait to run something faster. Gotta work on that slow game.... And spec tires need some vastly different setups too
Meanwhile on the 21.5 is the new stock thread, people are looking forward to 21.5 12th scale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.