Wiki Posts
Search

Shepherd Velox V10

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Addict

Default v10 upgrade

Originally Posted by G87z
The car does not need anything. You can add the Alu akerman and the Alu steering servo mount.

Oh and did you check your private messages? lol
yes i checked my pm thanks. what i am trying to figure out is what chassis do i have since i got this car used also the person that had it before me got regular universal axles in the front and the kit axles in the rear just wondering why this is that way? if i have the stock chassis where can i get the v10 11 up grade kit i didnt see it at ashford hobbies,
Old 08-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

[QUOTE=bigtee;9570063]yes i checked my pm thanks. what i am trying to figure out is what chassis do i have since i got this car used also the person that had it before me got regular universal axles in the front and the kit axles in the rear just wondering why this is that way? if i have the stock chassis where can i get the v10 11 up grade kit i didnt see it at ashford hobbies,[/QUOTE

You can try Sam at www.tma-motorsports.com
He has them in stock.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigtee
yes i checked my pm thanks. what i am trying to figure out is what chassis do i have since i got this car used also the person that had it before me got regular universal axles in the front and the kit axles in the rear just wondering why this is that way? if i have the stock chassis where can i get the v10 11 up grade kit i didnt see it at ashford hobbies,
When you say "regular universal axles in the front" do you mean the steel ones? for the rear when you say "kit axles" what do you mean? I run the steel axles upfront because the Alu ones tend to get out of round even from the slightest touch of a board. And then you have to cut them to get the bearings off.
who did you buy the car from? Local guy or someone on here?

Like the guy above posted that shop should have the 11 upgrade in stock. Also A-Main. Ashford can order it for you from Team Shepherd America.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Tech Addict

When you say "regular universal axles in the front" do you mean the steel ones? for the rear when you say "kit axles" what do you mean? I run the steel axles upfront because the Alu ones tend to get out of round even from the slightest touch of a board. And then you have to cut them to get the bearings off.
who did you buy the car from? Local guy or someone on here?

Like the guy above posted that shop should have the 11 upgrade in stock. Also A-Main. Ashford can order it for you from Team Shepherd America.
the front axle are like mugens mtx4r and the rear is setup like what come in the kit
Old 08-25-2011, 08:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

the front axle are like mugens mtx4r and the rear is setup like what come in the kit
That is a known conversion. people switch to the mugen knuckles,bearings,and CVD's for strength. The velox knuckles pop off the pivot ball if you clip a board with the wheel at full lock. Better than breaking. Some pople do the mugen upgrade to prevent this. Then you will break upper arms instead.

take some pictures of the car and upload them. id be interested to see what else people have done.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

That is a known conversion. people switch to the mugen knuckles,bearings,and CVD's for strength. The velox knuckles pop off the pivot ball if you clip a board with the wheel at full lock. Better than breaking. Some pople do the mugen upgrade to prevent this. Then you will break upper arms instead.

take some pictures of the car and upload them. id be interested to see what else people have done.
that's the only thing that i see that's different then the kit set up. would like to get the carbon fiber brace for the two speed, the 5th body post, the alloy side chassis brace and the front alloy mounts for front sway bar. where can i get them? also how does this car compare to the mtx4r? this is the car that i have now,thinking of getting the mtx5 as well. is there a wider front plastic bumper for the car or does one have to be modified to fit?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

that's the only thing that i see that's different then the kit set up. would like to get the carbon fiber brace for the two speed, the 5th body post, the alloy side chassis brace and the front alloy mounts for front sway bar. where can i get them? also how does this car compare to the mtx4r? this is the car that i have now,thinking of getting the mtx5 as well. is there a wider front plastic bumper for the car or does one have to be modified to fit?
Yes the Carbon brace for the 2spd is nice as is the 5th body post. It also stiffens the car a little bit in the front by connecting the 2 bulk heads. There really is no need for the alloy chassis side stiffner. you can run the car with out it as a tuning option for slight flex. The wide front bumper is also a tuning option. when used with out any foam it adds a little high speed steering. I personally run the foam bumper. The car is far superior in design compared to the MTX4r. both cars are very good. As for the MTX5 I am sure it will be a great car. My suggestion is to stick with one car and learn it inside and out. all of the new cars are very very close and it comes down to the driver.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:38 AM
Tech Addict

Yes the Carbon brace for the 2spd is nice as is the 5th body post. It also stiffens the car a little bit in the front by connecting the 2 bulk heads. There really is no need for the alloy chassis side stiffner. you can run the car with out it as a tuning option for slight flex. The wide front bumper is also a tuning option. when used with out any foam it adds a little high speed steering. I personally run the foam bumper. The car is far superior in design compared to the MTX4r. both cars are very good. As for the MTX5 I am sure it will be a great car. My suggestion is to stick with one car and learn it inside and out. all of the new cars are very very close and it comes down to the driver.
well i plan on retiring the mtx4r and making the v10 my main car for now. i need to stock parts now. may not be doing much with the car the remainder of the year other then learning the car. i don't like the small bumper and i want something like the mtx4r any ideas of what will work and what should i stock most of
Old 08-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

well i plan on retiring the mtx4r and making the v10 my main car for now. i need to stock parts now. may not be doing much with the car the remainder of the year other then learning the car. i don't like the small bumper and i want something like the mtx4r any ideas of what will work and what should i stock most of

I once too had a MTX4r. It has been retired also. I may use it for some local vintage nitro racing. There is still some good racing to be had in DE at blue diamond. we race up into October. When you say small bumper. you mean the foam one that comes with it? I use the Xray hard bumper, upper and lowe plates. some minor modification is needed to make it fit. It is about the same size as the stock one though. For parts, if you are not doing a ton of traveling to race. I would stock extra arms, Knuckles, hinge pins, turnbuckles and the ends for the turn buckles. If you are going to travel all the time. Just get a spare kit. It will have everything you need.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Default v10 clutch

how do you setup the vcc clutch
Old 09-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I figured that I'd post this here first, before I post on the F/S thread. I have two V10's, batteries and spare parts. Will be asking $700 o.b.o. I'll be taking pics tomorrow. PM me if you're interested.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

It is pretty quiet in here. where is everyone at?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It is pretty quiet in here. where is everyone at?
We here in the beautiful sunshine state are getting ready to start our racing season.
checkout www.forgass.com for the details.
GMac- wish us luck and hope you and the gang can make a few races this year, just like last year.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dru Garcia
We here in the beautiful sunshine state are getting ready to start our racing season.
checkout www.forgass.com for the details.
GMac- wish us luck and hope you and the gang can make a few races this year, just like last year.
Dru you running Velox now?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
Dru you running Velox now?
Yes! and a sweet ride it is.
This weekend was our first time out with the car and it happened to be at Homestead..

I had lots of bad luck this weekend and therefore still didn't get a chance to reaalllllly drive the car. I can tell you this though, it can withstand abuse.

I had two really bad crashes and the car sustained minor damage. And both happened after I finally got the car setup right.

The first one I was rear ended by an 8th scale at the end of the straight away into the sweeper both of us going full throttle. The 8th scale driver made a bad judgment call and hit me without braking. All that broke from the car was the shock rods in the rear (nothing happened to the shock tower or any of the aluminum.) He also made the front knuckle pop off when he pinned the car against the wall from the impact. The knuckle didn't break and nothing else broke. The 8th scale also broke...good for him!!
This was the result from the impact of an 8th scale going down a 280 foot straightaway.
Not bad!!!

Second was right before the start of my main. I was in my first warm up lap and the battery shorted out as I went into the straightaway. The car took off at full speed for the whole 280 feet into the wall. This time my wide bumper saved the car. The bumper broke and the rear upper arm, and the knuckle popped off again (the same old one I may add.) That was it.... amazing. If this doesn't prove how durable the car is, then I don't know what will.

The battery shorted out because I forced it in when I upgraded to the brass battery tray. I did this right before my race and rushed it. I paid the price for that stupid move!

I did see the front universal being an issue for a driver and I'm not sure if that is going to be addressed any time soon. I do know for sure that the front wide bumper is a must for this car.

One more thing- my main problem was the fact that the hinge pin for the rear upper arm was a very tight fit. This is not an issue for many cars, but in the V10, we use set screws to secure it as this is our roll center adjustments as well. If that hinge pin does not go in freely and the arm does not move freely after you secure the set screws, then it will not matter what adjustments you make on the car, your rear will not function right as the whole suspension is out of the game. To make matters worse, if you didn't set your camber adjustment screw center into the upper arm, then when you give yourself more camber you will force the screw into the plastic and pin the hinge pin against the plastic. That too will freeze your rear suspension. I had both of those issues. I learned a big lesson this weekend and hopefully this post will prevent some of you from going down that road.

Last edited by Dru Garcia; 09-12-2011 at 08:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.