Search
Like Tree1Likes

Pros/Cons on running an ON/OFF switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by nitrozilla
when you lose the switch there is also the benefit of better current draw. switches rob power especially switches on a esc as they are inefficient at passing current.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

when i use to drive mini-z alot of the guys including myself removed the switches for two main reasons . one if you were running lipo and stacked mosfets it would cause your servos to glitch but even stock when they are removed and you hardwire the connection you would notice a power gain.
larger scale this is not something that you would notice but on mini scale you may.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Addict

when i use to drive mini-z alot of the guys including myself removed the switches for two main reasons . one if you were running lipo and stacked mosfets it would cause your servos to glitch but even stock when they are removed and you hardwire the connection you would notice a power gain.
larger scale this is not something that you would notice but on mini scale you may.
That is true....the more connections you have the more resistance you have. By eliminating the switch you get less resistance which means faster servos and longer run times.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:52 AM
Tech Lord

And KO has made a new one:
http://www.redrc.net/2011/02/toy-fair-2011-ko-propo/
Old 02-04-2011, 05:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
I am glad to see that!I hope its gonna be on the market in a few months.....
Old 02-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

i have heard good things about therre push button switches. Does look kinda big though.
anyone know how big the older one was
Old 02-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I've had a few switch failures primarily most commonly in dusty conditions.

Now I just plug it in...one less point of failure. In a long main, you can use fishing line to tie the male and female plugs together together.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Yeah like the look of that ko switch, and the lipo cutoff function but maybe 6v cutoff a little high?
have run there switches in the past and were faultless but are on the large side.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:13 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by malcnz
Yeah like the look of that ko switch, and the lipo cutoff function but maybe 6v cutoff a little high?
have run there switches in the past and were faultless but are on the large side.
Have you seen the text at the small hole on that switch? It says LiPo mode, so I presume you can switch off the 6v voltage cut off so you can also use it with NiMh batteries
Old 02-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

i have heard good things about therre push button switches. Does look kinda big though.
anyone know how big the older one was
I think it's about the same size, it was on Cody's car at the Worlds:

I have an interesting story on this topic. In 2008, Cody was leading the 1/8 Gas Truck Nationals, and pulling away. Nobody was on his pace and he looked to have his first National Championship in the bag. Well, need I say, the switch broke and he dropped out of the race. That being said, you can imagine how much confidence I have in the KO Switch to put it on Cody's car at the Worlds. In addition, the switch on his Worlds car was old! I would say 2 years old at least. So you know how I feel about the KO switch, and I can't wait to get another one. The only one I had is retired with the Worlds car!

Let me also say, this is the only switch I would trust for a National or Worlds main, otherwise our stuff is hard wired.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof

Wish they can make the button in bright red with the words " ENGINE START"on it...

Old 02-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shnick lewy
I have burnt up a few servos because of bad switches,now I just use deans mini plug.No more problems since.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ganymede

Wish they can make the button in bright red with the words " ENGINE START"on it...

A lot of guys that used the original version of this complained that it drained their batteries in a few hours when it was turned off, hopefully the new one is better. I also hope you can turnoff the voltage cut-off so you can use it with LIFE packs.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Life packs shouldn't be run below 6v just as lipo.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just reviving this topic. I am thinking of going switchless on my nitros. I busted my Mamba's switch during a race and I hardwired them.

How do you suggest I do it on the nitro? Solder deans to the battery and make an adapter to plug into the receiver?

Also I dont understand why people race without throttle return springs. If your battery runs out or switches off, the spring/rubber band will get your throttle to idle. I never run without them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.